Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Maybe Peterman is What You Want Helfrich To Be

AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
I watched Boise's game against Arizona, and their undersized (6'0") QB took the Wildcat secondary apart. His passes were clean and thrown with good velocity, made good reads and decisions, and he showed the ability to beat the defense with his feet as well as his arm.

Yet, under Peterman, this kid rode the pine behind Joe fucking Southwick, who, as you may recall from your games against Boise, sucks.

Boise appeared to be in decline in Peterman's last year on the blue carpet, and his final year was his worst. Yet for whatever reason Grant Hedrick never got the starting nod, and for whatever reason was not "the guy" although his competition at the position was lackluster at best.

After the first few shaky games under Bryan Harsin (Kellen Moore's old QB coach), Hedrick and the Boise offense went on a tear, winning their last nine in a row including the Fiesta Bowel win.

Last night, I saw a Washington team that has seemingly regressed.While Miles had looked better in the some of the latter games of the season, he stumbled around the field like a old hippie looking for kind bud at the Oregon Cuntry Fair last night. Where is the fucking coaching?

Yes, the players are limited in their potential - but you got out-coached and out-hustled by I'm a man I'm 40 and a true freshman. Player of the game was a redneck William "Fridge" Perry. It's fun and a longstanding doog tradition to hate the kids - but there is no indication of player development or motivation - although it looks like whatever Peterman said to the team at halftime helped, I'll give him that.

Increrasingly, I'm led to believe that Peterman's flashy record was the work of his hard-working QB coach and Kellen Moore, the beneficiary of the system in place at Boise that leads to strong results against weaker competition and targeting two or three good teams a year. I'm not seeing a coach that has utilized his talent effectively or built a cohesive team in year one. Agree that it can take some time to do this, but watching Cyler Miles and Grant Hedrick play this bowel season, and I'm not sold on Peterman at all.

Comments

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Can't disagree with most of that.
    This staff came in with the reputation
    of teachers and developers, yet I saw
    little, particularly among every offensive
    position group. Absolutely no creativity
    in the playcalling and the execution was
    sloppy. Throw in the total lack of discipline
    regarding penalties and you have a coaching
    staff who badly underperformed.

At the least, next year identify a fucking offensive
    philosophy and go with it. I don't care if it's
    Oregon spread or Georgia Tech old school, but
    fit it to the talent and simplify it.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    You had me at "he stumbled around the field like a old hippie looking for kind bud at the Oregon Cuntry Fair last night."
  • Options
    claychaclaycha Member Posts: 662
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    We aren't bashing hippies right?

• Options
    I think we are always bashing hippies here
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Well all we know for certain is Boise is still doing what they've been doing since the late 90's and UW is still doing what they've been doing since the late 90's.

Nothing is concrete yet, but it's fair to assume Peterman is a system coach.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Mosster47 said:

Well all we know for certain is Boise is still doing what they've been doing since the late 90's and UW is still doing what they've been doing since the late 90's.

Nothing is concrete yet, but it's fair to assume Peterman is a system coach.

Washington wins a Rose Bowl in two years!

Fuck ya!
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    AZDuck said:

I watched Boise's game against Arizona, and their undersized (6'0") QB took the Wildcat secondary apart. His passes were clean and thrown with good velocity, made good reads and decisions, and he showed the ability to beat the defense with his feet as well as his arm.

Yet, under Peterman, this kid rode the pine behind Joe fucking Southwick, who, as you may recall from your games against Boise, sucks.

Boise appeared to be in decline in Peterman's last year on the blue carpet, and his final year was his worst. Yet for whatever reason Grant Hedrick never got the starting nod, and for whatever reason was not "the guy" although his competition at the position was lackluster at best.

After the first few shaky games under Bryan Harsin (Kellen Moore's old QB coach), Hedrick and the Boise offense went on a tear, winning their last nine in a row including the Fiesta Bowel win.

Last night, I saw a Washington team that has seemingly regressed.While Miles had looked better in the some of the latter games of the season, he stumbled around the field like a old hippie looking for kind bud at the Oregon Cuntry Fair last night. Where is the fucking coaching?

Yes, the players are limited in their potential - but you got out-coached and out-hustled by I'm a man I'm 40 and a true freshman. Player of the game was a redneck William "Fridge" Perry. It's fun and a longstanding doog tradition to hate the kids - but there is no indication of player development or motivation - although it looks like whatever Peterman said to the team at halftime helped, I'll give him that.

Increrasingly, I'm led to believe that Peterman's flashy record was the work of his hard-working QB coach and Kellen Moore, the beneficiary of the system in place at Boise that leads to strong results against weaker competition and targeting two or three good teams a year. I'm not seeing a coach that has utilized his talent effectively or built a cohesive team in year one. Agree that it can take some time to do this, but watching Cyler Miles and Grant Hedrick play this bowel season, and I'm not sold on Peterman at all.

Who gives a fuck what youthink about Petersen duck. Petersen didnt get a heisman qb giftwrapped like Helfrich. Helfrich is Larry fucking Coker
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,477
    Just curious, how many UW games did you watch this year?
  • Options
    JaveJave Member Posts: 43
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Testing 1

Who gives a fuck what youthink about Petersen duck. Petersen didnt get a heisman qb giftwrapped like Helfrich. Helfrich is Larry fucking Coker

Only Helfrich recruited Mariota to Oregon............so theres that.

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    topdawgnc said:

I would go out on a limb and say it is easier to follow one of the top 1% coaches in the history of the PAC than it is to follow Gilby, Willingham, and Sark ... at least in the short run.

It took Oregon 20 years to get here.

This isn't microwave popcorn.

94 to 2001 is 20 years?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    topdawgnc said:

I would go out on a limb and say it is easier to follow one of the top 1% coaches in the history of the PAC than it is to follow Gilby, Willingham, and Sark ... at least in the short run.

Agree with this. I certainly didn't expect Peterman to be kicking all kinds of ass and taking names this year. This was a transition year. I also saw lots of improvement during the season, even at QB. I thought Arizona might have been Cyler's best game. I didn't watch the Apple Cup after the first five minutes because it was boring as fuck and late at night.

But the lack of mental preparation for the bowl game combined with the lack of development of any UW QB to at least "serviceable" is shocking. Then I went back and looked at Boise and how well their RS senior QB developed this year, vice the dreck that was Joe Southwick.

The notion here is that Mariota and the Chip Kelly paint fumes in the building coached Oregon to 13-1. That's bullshit, and I think Helfrich came into his own as a head coach this season after the Arizona game, and I think he's going to do well at Oregon, even after Mariota leaves. Maybe not 13-1 well, but well enough.

OTOH, a big chunk of Peterman's 92-12 record that is so often touted here came while Kellen Moore and Bryan Harsin were with him in Boise. Afterwards, there was a decline, which became pretty steep in his last year, by Boise standards.

You'd think that there would be something you could point to, a win that Washington got where they were outmatched, or a game where the team faced some kind of adversity and overcame it, or some player development at a key position. Didn't really happen. The 5-stars like Kikaha and Shelton played up to their talent, but at key positions like RB and QB, there wasn't anything to show me that coaching has been happening, relative to the coaching hype.

• Options
    I think that rather than W-L totals, I think a guidepost for UW next season will be the emergence of an every-down QB and RB. If all the Sark-recruited QB's suck, then there should at least be some kind of QB controversy.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    AZDuck said:

topdawgnc said:

OTOH, a big chunk of Peterman's 92-12 record that is so often touted here came while Kellen Moore and Bryan Harsin were with him in Boise. Afterwards, there was a decline, which became pretty steep in his last year, by Boise standards.

So, what you're saying is the real true coach on the staff was Harsin all along?
  • Options
    LawDawg1 said:

AZDuck said:

topdawgnc said:

So, what you're saying is the real true coach on the staff was Harsin all along?
    Not quite. I'm implying that maybe Peterman isn't a good QB talent evaluator, and might have benefited from Kellen Moore in a way similar to how you people think Helfrich benefited from the Chip Kelly paint fumes and Mariota. Harsin seems to have identified and developed the better QB between Southwick and Hedrick, while UW is dead in the water at the position. Harsin was also the QB coach while Kellen Moore was at Boise. Kellen Moore elevated Boise to elite status while he was there.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

AZDuck said:

LawDawg1 said:

AZDuck said:

topdawgnc said:

Not quite. I'm implying that maybe Peterman isn't a good QB talent evaluator, and might have benefited from Kellen Moore in a way similar to how you people think Helfrich benefited from the Chip Kelly paint fumes and Mariota. Harsin seems to have identified and developed the better QB between Southwick and Hedrick, while UW is dead in the water at the position. Harsin was also the QB coach while Kellen Moore was at Boise. Kellen Moore elevated Boise to elite status while he was there.

The only thing is Hedrick did play after Southwick was hurt and he played worse than Southwick. Hedrick threw 4 picks against Ole Miss in the opener this year. I think both guys are/were above average. It is somewhat concerning that Boise's offense took off this year with their former OC while we are stuck with a QB coach from a MWC masquerading as the OC at UW.

That's not a championship hire. I don't mind a first time OC, but he better at least be a position coach at a school with an explosive offense.
    Any fucktard can win at Boise. We've learned that over the years.

Boise's success post-Peterman doesn't mean a thing.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,733
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Helfrich and Coker are different. This isnt Chip's roster. Coker took over a returning juggernaut. Other than Fife not being better than Harrington Oregon always comes up with a QB. Mariota is a system QB. Maybe the best ever but not irreplaceable. Rogers replaced Farve and Young replaced Montana.

Helfrich has proved a lot this year. Petersen hasn't. But AZ is also right in that no one was turning uw in one year.

Petersen has to do something next year to give us hope. Like finding a fucking QB that can play. And actually changing the loser culture even if they lose 4 or 5 games again