Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Defensive Stop Rates

TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
Swaye's Wigwam
edited November 2023 in Hardcore Husky Board

Not great, but not as poor as many probably think. Defensive stop rate is “the percentage of a defense’s drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs. This simple metric can offer a more accurate reflection of a defense’s effectiveness in today’s faster-tempo college football than yards per game or points per game.”

https://theathletic.com/5063581/2023/11/14/college-football-stop-rate-defense-rankings-usc/

Comments

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

TheHB said:

Not great, but not as poor as many probably think. Defensive stop rate is “the percentage of a defense’s drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs. This simple metric can offer a more accurate reflection of a defense’s effectiveness in today’s faster-tempo college football than yards per game or points per game.”

https://theathletic.com/5063581/2023/11/14/college-football-stop-rate-defense-rankings-usc/

I told Mrs Nacho at the beginning of the USC game that we? only needed 2 more stops than USC got and we did, 5 stops to 3.
    That’s the reality with this offense, if the defense can get more stops than the other team, we win. Their ability to score touchdowns instead of field goals and score quickly at the end of halves makes us damn near impossible to beat if the defense wins the stop battle
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    This defense is insanely inconsistent, but they are consistent in making plays when they need to. The ASU game was exhibit A. They seemed to play the whole game on the field and did not give up too much and were able to score
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    “ This simple metric can offer a more accurate reflection of a defense’s effectiveness in today’s faster-tempo college football than yards per game or points per game.”

Yeah but almost all of those teams suck.

More nerds stealing money from jocks info.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nothing beats having a 99% win probability until you don't

I mean if you have the lead in the 4th quarter you have a pretty good chance to win if you don't blow it - Ron Fairly
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,002
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Perception trumps reality. Something I have noticed since my nerves were shot and I started going Jerry West

When watching live with everything on the line it really does seem like Opponent is 22 out of 23 on third down

In fact it was Petersen versus Shaw that killed me

This sounds like a snippet from a group text between me, Woolley and Joey when we're kvetching about opposing third string QBs
  • Options
    ExtraChrisBExtraChrisB Member Posts: 1,810
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The good news is Oregon State’s defense isn’t good either. They force a lot more turnovers than we do, but if we can avoid those we should be fine. More concerned with their offense of fast midget receivers and bully running backs.
  • Options
    SkipBoydSkipBoyd Member Posts: 403
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2023
    DoogDawg said:

I think most would agree that our defense isn't bad, it's just not good. It's just average...and that isn't good enough.

We put up with it because we have an elite offense and are riding a 17 game win streak. The D also shows streaks of being good- but then has like 12 missed tackles on a simple bubble screen.

If our offense wasn't so good, our D would've lost us like four or five games this year alone and then we'd be wanting to tarmac the entire D staff.

I'm good going in a new direction on D in the off-season. The D staff isn't elite and will hold us back in future years.

I'd say they are solidly below average. There is rarely any push on the pocket and when there is the ends are outrun; line backers are out of position and slow (watch how many times a back passes one of them and they reach one arm out like an injun trying to count coup); the defensive backfield shows some promise but most of the time they are out of position and couldn't tackle their own grandmothers (who are 32 years old, by the way) in a phone booth; and E. Jackson.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2023
    dnc said:

SkipBoyd said:

DoogDawg said:

I think most would agree that our defense isn't bad, it's just not good. It's just average...and that isn't good enough.

We put up with it because we have an elite offense and are riding a 17 game win streak. The D also shows streaks of being good- but then has like 12 missed tackles on a simple bubble screen.

If our offense wasn't so good, our D would've lost us like four or five games this year alone and then we'd be wanting to tarmac the entire D staff.

I'm good going in a new direction on D in the off-season. The D staff isn't elite and will hold us back in future years.

I'd say they are solidly below average. There is rarely any push on the pocket and when there is the ends are outrun; line backers are out of position and slow (watch how many times a back passes one of them and they reach one arm out like an injun trying to count coup); the defensive backfield shows some promise but most of the time they are out of position and couldn't tackle their own grandmothers (who are 32 years old, by the way) in a phone booth; and E. Jackson.
    It's below average historically but not below average for 2023.

The game has changed, all of the rules favor the offense. Dominating defense isn't really a thing unless you're in the B1G where the offenses are stuck in 1985.

It *feels* like a below average defense because we(?)re old.
    Yep. Which is why the top four teams in this particular metric are all B1G teams.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Defense is pretty bad with flashes of being good. Getting gashed by Utah at home has no silver lining.

The best you can say about them is that they actually do adjust and play hard to the end. This is a reflection of the head coach.

The most brutal aspect of the defense is the lack of sideline to sideline speed amongst the linebackers.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Having Tuli back will solve some interior issues. Healthiest the team has been since Michigan State?
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 704
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Canadawg said:

Having Tuli back will solve some interior issues. Healthiest the team has been since Michigan State?

I'd say so if KamFabs ankle finally stops bothering him. Even if we don't put it all together like us fans want we can still beat Oregon State. We really want a statement game, 4th quarter where the game really isn't in question.

I think we are comfortable knowing we could probably beat Washington State by just pulverizing them with DJ and crew on the ground.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,617
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Defense is pretty bad with flashes of being good. Getting gashed by Utah at home has no silver lining.

The best you can say about them is that they actually do adjust and play hard to the end. This is a reflection of the head coach.

The most brutal aspect of the defense is the lack of sideline to sideline speed amongst the linebackers.

Dingdong looked surprisingly fast running that pick (almost 6) down the sideline. I was impressed right up to where he crossed the 2 yard line.

The linebackers are just like the safeties in terms of pursuit angles...they don't use or understand them somehow...and it makes them look slow as they wave or dive at the feet of ball carriers blowing by them.

@backthepack says they're good so there must be some metrics supporting that, but they don't pass the eye test for me. Bruener makes some good hits, but he doesn't always show up. Tupetala and Ulo take too many bad angles and let guys get past them too often.