Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Defensive Stop Rates

13»

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

I don’t think this defense is “average”.

All I want to see is purple… or even a death row d type crew.

Since then has the game changed so much that it can’t be expected? Teams were running the RPO and the air-raid then.

I think it’s realistic to have a D that talks shit and smokes weed or pisses it’s self on the field.

The talent has to improve BUT I think the coaches are the issue. Better coaches would be getting more from this D. Should be at least…

Congrats though on figuring out how to stop teams for two drives in the fourth quarter. Do that for 5 consecutive games and we’re on to something.

Nobody said you can't expect to be better. I said what you're seeing now is average for the current game. Of course we could do better than average. But if we did have an above average defense most of the old heads here would call it average. If we had a great defense most of us? would call it above average. If we had an ELITE defense most of us would call it very good.

We just don't understand how bad the average defense is these days.
    Not sure what made you think I was responding to you.
    Because I'm the one who said the game has changed and you said "Since then has the game changed so much that it can’t be expected?"
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,975
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Since then has the game changed so much that it can’t be expected? Teams were running the RPO and the air-raid then.

I think it’s realistic to have a D that talks shit and smokes weed or pisses it’s self on the field.

The talent has to improve BUT I think the coaches are the issue. Better coaches would be getting more from this D. Should be at least…

Congrats though on figuring out how to stop teams for two drives in the fourth quarter. Do that for 5 consecutive games and we’re on to something.

Nobody said you can't expect to be better. I said what you're seeing now is average for the current game. Of course we could do better than average. But if we did have an above average defense most of the old heads here would call it average. If we had a great defense most of us? would call it above average. If we had an ELITE defense most of us would call it very good.

Because I'm the one who said the game has changed and you said "Since then has the game changed so much that it can’t be expected?"
    And another part was from doopdawg and skip and just about every other single comment in this thread.

I find it interesting how you did that.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

And another part was from doopdawg and skip and just about every other single comment in this thread.

I responded to the part that was clearly responding to what I said. Why is that interesting?
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,975
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

I responded to the part that was clearly responding to what I said. Why is that interesting?
    I was commenting on multiple points made by multiple people but you made it about you. At least that’s how I’m seeing it. People are interesting, don’t you think?
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

I was commenting on multiple points made by multiple people but you made it about you. At least that’s how I’m seeing it. People are interesting, don’t you think?

• Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,013
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited November 2023
    Our D is inconsistent but we held Oregon to their lowest points scored this season so I think the guys show up when it matters most. And the D saved us in the ASU game.

Some of the missed tackles are hard to watch though.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

dflea said:

I started watching the game last Saturday and watching the defense miss 127 tackles in the first half made me so fucking crazy, that I left the room and went down to the garage to replace the starter on my truck. I was down there fucking around with that starter for way longer than I thought I would be, the whole time festering about the game.

After I was finished with the starter, I sat back down to watch the rest of the game fully expecting to be irate and depressed at the end - and when Alf left the ball just sitting on the one yard line, I just about lost my shit. The defense got their shit together, though, and wound up doing what they needed to do to win the game.

I couldn't help thinking how badly would could have destroyed UT if we just tackled in the first half. But we didn't - and who gives a fuck about the first half if you do what needs to be done in the second half? Win the war, not the battle.

We've won the wars. Time to stop gweebing about the battles because you won't win them all. Coach has these guys believing they're built for this, and their 10-0 record seems to back him up. They believe more than I do - and that's completely opposite of what's been going on for the last 30 fucking years.

I'll take it.

You know, I don't think we've noted how spectacular it is that after the emotion of the Pick-6 fumble - awesome play, sure TD, everyone celebrating, then being "oh shit, he didn't score, WTF, you fucking moron, all the expletives", a shocking turnaround which kept Utah in the game basically, that the defense was mentally tough enough to destroy Utah's line on the very next play to get the safety and the ball back.

While it was self inflicted, when shit doesn't go their way, so many amazing athletes melt down and fold.

Maybe Utah's line was tired from running down the field, but whatever, our boys rose up and won the next play. When the margins get tight, that's the kind of mentality that separates the winners from the losers.
    10 seconds of game time. I went from ecstasy on the pick to needing a time out from the board after the fumble then back to husky arrogance on the safety

Based on the interviews this week I 100% believe the defense cares about eachother and made that play with a "do it for the phonzer" mentality