Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Defensive Stop Rates

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Defense is pretty bad with flashes of being good. Getting gashed by Utah at home has no silver lining.

The best you can say about them is that they actually do adjust and play hard to the end. This is a reflection of the head coach.

The most brutal aspect of the defense is the lack of sideline to sideline speed amongst the linebackers.

Brock made an interesting point last week. He said one of the reasons the defense is so good late is that our defense rotates liberally, this keeps everyone fresh for late in the games. I don't like the deep rotations strategy generally but if this is actually the cause of them being so good late I might be able to get on bored with it.
    It's also worth mention that's even with the injuries and usual in season attrition last year, the defense got better. I know dropped pass helped twice but holding Texas under 20 was an impressive feat for a defense that was rightfully maligned for most of the season.

The liberal rotation pays off in multiple ways. One of those is that the reserves you end up needing late in the season have been getting regular game reps all season.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,973
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don’t think this defense is “average”.

All I want to see is purple… or even a death row d type crew.

Since then has the game changed so much that it can’t be expected? Teams were running the RPO and the air-raid then.

I think it’s realistic to have a D that talks shit and smokes weed or pisses it’s self on the field.

The talent has to improve BUT I think the coaches are the issue. Better coaches would be getting more from this D. Should be at least…

Congrats though on figuring out how to stop teams for two drives in the fourth quarter. Do that for 5 consecutive games and we’re on to something.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Defense is pretty bad with flashes of being good. Getting gashed by Utah at home has no silver lining.

The best you can say about them is that they actually do adjust and play hard to the end. This is a reflection of the head coach.

The most brutal aspect of the defense is the lack of sideline to sideline speed amongst the linebackers.

Brock made an interesting point last week. He said one of the reasons the defense is so good late is that our defense rotates liberally, this keeps everyone fresh for late in the games. I don't like the deep rotations strategy generally but if this is actually the cause of them being so good late I might be able to get on bored with it.
    Hoping that this translates to a more experienced above “average” D next year!
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Hoping that this translates to a more experienced above “average” D next year!
    Depends on our defensive coaching staff next year
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Watching Jackson, he’s either lacking speed or athleticism or both. He gives way too much cushion and when he comes up to make a tackle he looks like a fucking retard and he can’t break down to get solid contact.

Yeah he just sucks at playing football really. He's pretty much a guaranteed miss coming downhill in the open field. He does have decent coverage at times but is so inept at playing the ball that it doesn't matter.

There aren't very many good players on the defense. That's a big part of why it is what it is. How blame for lack of talent gets assigned is another discussion.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,305
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    What’s the deal with Asa? He gonna play again in the regular season ?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,992
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

Watching Jackson, he’s either lacking speed or athleticism or both. He gives way too much cushion and when he comes up to make a tackle he looks like a fucking retard and he can’t break down to get solid contact.

Yeah he just sucks at playing football really. He's pretty much a guaranteed miss coming downhill in the open field. He does have decent coverage at times but is so inept at playing the ball that it doesn't matter.

There aren't very many good players on the defense. That's a big part of why it is what it is. How blame for lack of talent gets assigned is another discussion.
    We have had two years for a safety to demonstrate that they are good. Hampton is improved but very avg since he doesn't recognize things fast enough to make negative plays. It hasn't happened and that is morrel's position group.

I don't think he calls a particularly good game or teaches great technique or attracts great talent. We can do better. The last 3 games have been extremely disappointing by the defense.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    phineas said:

Canadawg said:

If they could just look less pathetic tackling the ball carrier 3-6 times a game I would be relatively ok with where the defence is at

it seems to me like they are in position a lot of the time, they just over commit in the open field or get shook and dragged inside. i can live with guys getting bulldozed. guys completely missing in space 90% of the time though is too much
    Completely agree. ZTF and Goforth did that pretty well against Williams in space. Accept that they're going to get a few yards but don't miss and give up 15
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,584
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

phineas said:

Canadawg said:

If they could just look less pathetic tackling the ball carrier 3-6 times a game I would be relatively ok with where the defence is at

it seems to me like they are in position a lot of the time, they just over commit in the open field or get shook and dragged inside. i can live with guys getting bulldozed. guys completely missing in space 90% of the time though is too much
    Completely agree. ZTF and Goforth did that pretty well against Williams in space. Accept that they're going to get a few yards but don't miss and give up 15
    Goforth got shook out of his shoes about 10 times in the 1st half against Utah

Didn't notice in the 2nd half but I'm assuming he wasn't in the rotation much.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2023

Since then has the game changed so much that it can’t be expected? Teams were running the RPO and the air-raid then.

I think it’s realistic to have a D that talks shit and smokes weed or pisses it’s self on the field.

The talent has to improve BUT I think the coaches are the issue. Better coaches would be getting more from this D. Should be at least…

Congrats though on figuring out how to stop teams for two drives in the fourth quarter. Do that for 5 consecutive games and we’re on to something.

Nobody said you can't expect to be better. I said what you're seeing now is average for the current game. Of course we could do better than average. But if we did have an above average defense most of the old heads here would call it average. If we had a great defense most of us? would call it above average. If we had an ELITE defense most of us would call it very good.

We just don't understand how bad the average defense is these days.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Nobody said you can't expect to be better. I said what you're seeing now is average for the current game. Of course we could do better than average. But if we did have an above average defense most of the old heads here would call it average. If we had a great defense most of us? would call it above average. If we had an ELITE defense most of us would call it very good.

Not sure what made you think I was responding to you.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Not sure what made you think I was responding to you.
    Bullies don't care bro
    Truer words have never been spoken, pal.