Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The narrative that Lanning cost Oregon the game is wrong. UW was just better.

I'm tired of hearing how Oregon would have won that game if Lanning had made better decisions on a few plays.

Bull fucking shit.

Washington played better when it mattered, and as mediocre as Washington's defense appears to be, it is the toughest defense that Oregon has faced this year.

Lanning's biggest mistake was assuming that our defense was as bad as all of the other defenses that Oregon has faced this year.

Our defense shut down Oregon on their 3 failed fourth down conversions.

Meanwhile, Washington converted on 2 of their 3 fourth down attempts.

Period.

And while Washington has the toughest defense that Oregon has faced this year, Oregon is only the 2nd toughest defense that Washington has faced when you look at points scored. Arizona's defense was tougher.

We held Oregon to their season low of 33 points on Saturday.

Oregon didn't hold us to our season low, Arizona gets that honor.

The better team won on Saturday, and it wasn't due to Washington getting lucky that Lanning was a tard on a couple of plays.

Comments

• Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,008
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I haven't seen one single fan apologize for the win.

Pretty sure it was a figure of speech.

But many folks have said we only won because Lanning fucked up.

Including some posters here.

It's a loser narrative.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,922
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's a loser narrative.

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    DHD said:

Thank you.

I can't believe how many UW fans have spent the last 3 days apologizing for the win, as if the UW took something that didn't belong to them.

Lanning is an idiot, but he's an idiot for making stupid decisions against a team that was BETTER than his team. You can get away with that stupid shit against Portland State, but those morons needed every point they could get against UW because the UW is better than them.

And even with Lanning's stupidity, his players still had a chance to execute, and they failed, repeatedly ... because the UW is better than them.

Do you remember when our #2 receiver got hurt and walked off the field and didn't play for the rest of the game? Or how about when our #4 receiver got hurt and didn't play for the rest of the game? Or seeing our best D-lineman play 1/2 the snaps he normally does? (Or when our #1 RB was lost before the season even started?). I'd venture a guess that losing those guys had just as much to do with the final score as any of Oregon's stupidity, and the UW still won.

I've actually read, countless times, about people having a new level of respect for Oregon after watching them play.

Really? What was it about Oregon that bolstered people's respect for them?

Their coach, who can't seem to get out of his own way?

The UW defense forcing Oregon to go 0 for 3 on 4th downs?

The UW offense, going deep to burn the Oregon defense for the game winning touchdown for the second year in a row?

Or was it Oregon's special teams, failing to execute when given a chance to tie the game?

Maybe it was watching a bunch of Oregon dudes wallow around on the turf like bitches faking injuries?

What combination of those factors made people have MORE respect for Oregon?

UW took that game from Oregon, said thank you very much, and then ushered them onto their bus so they could soak in their collective failures. That's what winners do. I wish we'd stop fucking apologizing for it.

POTD.

• Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 784
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    What if Lanning’s deal was he needed to fart on the ball before every Oregon possession and secretly that’s why they went with the speckled jersey’s?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

It's a loser narrative.
    If Lanning punts with 2:00 left, UW probably loses. That doesn't mean Penix & Co. didn't take advantage to win.
    The team now famous for the 3 play 75 yard drive couldn't score in 2 minutes?

Only Grubb can stop UW and he would not have

Neither would Oregon
    I agree with Derek, Oregon wins with a punt.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

It's a loser narrative.
    If Lanning punts with 2:00 left, UW probably loses. That doesn't mean Penix & Co. didn't take advantage to win.

Neither would Oregon
    You're both wrong

Hopefully the two of you get a chance to watch the Huskies play this year

2 plays from the 50. 3 from the 20

Same reason Carroll went for it at midfield against Texas. Vince Young was going to score regardless
    Thankfully, we don't deal in hypotheticals out here.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

If you are going to play the hypothetical that "Dan Lanning makes no coaching mistakes," don't you also have to assume that Grubb and KDB make no play calling mistakes? We had two ridiculous 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter that allowed O back in the game. If we score on that first drive and go up 18 points, you could argue that it almost certainly takes away Oregon's running game and forces Oregon to become one dimensional. If Oregon's game at that point relies on Bo Nix being an elite downfield passer, I'll take those odds 100% of the time.

Both teams made mistakes. UW won the game by being better than Oregon.

This.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,053
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It's a loser narrative.

Neither would Oregon
    You're both wrong

Hopefully the two of you get a chance to watch the Huskies play this year

2 plays from the 50. 3 from the 20

Same reason Carroll went for it at midfield against Texas. Vince Young was going to score regardless
    Well we're shoulders deep in hypotheticals here. Oregon had all the momentum. Penix was in so much pain it altered Grubb's playcalling just moments earlier.

Could I see Penix suddenly leading a 90-yard TD drive with either one or no times outs? Sure, off course. It's Penix. But the odds were still in Oregon's favor. It was colossally reckless of Lanning to do what he did. Especially given their subsequent play call.