Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My Thoughts on The Greatest Setting in College Football

Comments

• backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,861

On thing I noticed on Friday walking down to Red Square which was disappointing was how little purple gear there was amongst the student body. Not sure how well this bodes for the future. We're gonna need more Jack Doogs like @puppylove_sugarsteel (RIP) to survive in the long haul.

But I guess we still have enough students that think and care though to pack the student section. Still need to put @UW_Doog_Bot in charge and move them back to the 50.

I'll carry on the LW Kangaroo Jack Doog torch in pup's honor.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,074

Guys did you know Washington is in Seattle?

It's a handicap, but Seattle still looks way cooler on TV than Austin, Waco, College Station, Dallas, Norman, etc.

If you got it, flaunt it.
    that's because it is. west coast still the best coast.

The Newton area of Boston on a cool, crisp fall day is spectacular for the vintage "classic" feel of college football, where your girlfriend, "Margaret", wears $600 sweaters and $1200 Burberry Scarves (not the scarftard kind) and you actually have a friend named "Chip". Games won't ever matter, but you'll be among the 1 percenters.

LawDawg1 said:

It's a handicap, but Seattle still looks way cooler on TV than Austin, Waco, College Station, Dallas, Norman, etc.

Mocking McAfee, name a bigger football program with a more urban setting? I couldn’t think of one, maybe UT-Austin? Georgia Tech?
    USC?
    I think the only contender here are USC, UT-Austin, GA Tech and UW.

@LoneStarDawg I'm not a Texas superiority guy but I think UT is closer to Downtown Austin that Montlake is to Downtown Seattle right? Austin has had incredible growth of course but I think Seattle still has a bidder skyline right?

LA Coliseum is about the same distance to Downtown LA as UW is to Downtown Seattle. But it's in a shithole. Still, it's arguably to most iconic overall sports venue in the United States based on 3 Olympics, Pro Football, 2 college teams (until the early 80s), and even @trublue and the World Series in 1959.

NOC about GA Tech and Atlanta. That's pro sports town.

@creepycoug might have had a claim with the TUFF old Orange Bowl.
    Miami
    Well, it was pretty fucking urban, I can say that. The walk to the stadium for a night game from wherever in the fuck you found to park your car took some nerve.

The Cotton Bowl, where I've now been 3x, is pretty fucking urban, but even though not torn down is effectively dead but for one big game / yr.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,853 Founders Club
    LawDawg1 said:

Mocking McAfee, name a bigger football program with a more urban setting? I couldn’t think of one, maybe UT-Austin? Georgia Tech?
    USC?
    Pitt, Georgia Tech, Miami, USC, Cincinnati? Boston College? Not many for sure.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,248 Founders Club

On thing I noticed on Friday walking down to Red Square which was disappointing was how little purple gear there was amongst the student body. Not sure how well this bodes for the future. We're gonna need more Jack Doogs like @puppylove_sugarsteel (RIP) to survive in the long haul.

But I guess we still have enough students that think and care though to pack the student section. Still need to put @UW_Doog_Bot in charge and move them back to the 50.

I think you actually have taken some classes at UW thought. Don't think Pup ever did.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,915 Swaye's Wigwam

LawDawg1 said:

USC?

@LoneStarDawg I'm not a Texas superiority guy but I think UT is closer to Downtown Austin that Montlake is to Downtown Seattle right? Austin has had incredible growth of course but I think Seattle still has a bidder skyline right?

LA Coliseum is about the same distance to Downtown LA as UW is to Downtown Seattle. But it's in a shithole. Still, it's arguably to most iconic overall sports venue in the United States based on 3 Olympics, Pro Football, 2 college teams (until the early 80s), and even @trublue and the World Series in 1959.

Thanks, Yella.

Hurtful.
  • HypnotiqueHypnotique Member Posts: 72

LawDawg1 said:

USC?

Miami
    Well, it was pretty fucking urban, I can say that. The walk to the stadium for a night game from wherever in the fuck you found to park your car took some nerve.

The Cotton Bowl, where I've now been 3x, is pretty fucking urban, but even though not torn down is effectively dead but for one big game / yr.
    I was referring to Miami (Ohio). Oxford, OH puts the “urrrrrrrr” in urban.

LawDawg1 said:

USC?

Miami

I was referring to Miami (Ohio). Oxford, OH puts the “urrrrrrrr” in urban.
    Gotcha.

Even though I'm about to be a Trooj alumnus I'm going to chime in and say that the "urban setting" of USC is haught garbage. It's literally next to a skid row under the freeway and south central LA which is fast recovering from gentrification and going through decolonialism. The beach is the only attractive local feature worth value and it's definitely not within campus proximity.

Gonna hate myself for this but the real competition for UW is UCLA. Westwood for campus and Pasadena for the Rose Bowl with its back against the Los Angeles National Forest and mountains. USC ain't close from an LA perspective.

UW just needs to reassert ownership of the Rose Bowl to maintain setting superiority.

Not so fast my friend. Pasadena is the burbs and Rose Bowl is 11 miles from Downtown LA Skidrow.

The Rose Bowl and Husky Stadium, however, are the too most scenic college football venues and it's not really close. Army might be in their place. BYU and @89ute just aren't on par in in spite of the Wasnatch Range.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,561 Swaye's Wigwam

Even though I'm about to be a Trooj alumnus I'm going to chime in and say that the "urban setting" of USC is haught garbage. It's literally next to a skid row under the freeway and south central LA which is fast recovering from gentrification and going through decolonialism. The beach is the only attractive local feature worth value and it's definitely not within campus proximity.

Gonna hate myself for this but the real competition for UW is UCLA. Westwood for campus and Pasadena for the Rose Bowl with its back against the Los Angeles National Forest and mountains. USC ain't close from an LA perspective.

UW just needs to reassert ownership of the Rose Bowl to maintain setting superiority.

Not so fast my friend. Pasadena is the burbs and Rose Bowl is 11 miles from Downtown LA Skidrow.

The Rose Bowl and Husky Stadium, however, are the too most scenic college football venues and it's not really close. Army might be in their place. BYU and @89ute just aren't on par in in spite of the Wasnatch Range.
    11 miles from Downtown skid row. LA has A bunch of skid rows...one of which you can throw a rock and hit from the Coliseum parking lot. You will get stabbed with a needle simply for exiting the wrong way from a game. Csb one of my former friends I went to high-school with who has a trust fund lives in a tent under that bridge doing drugs. We see him sometimes when we go to games(and quickly go the other way).

Seriously, I know this area well and am the board superiority guy. RIP @CirrhosisDawg for challenging me on that shit. I tailgated and had bacon wrapped hot dogs in the parking lot vs. Stanford this year ftr.

You been to Pasadena proper in the last 20 years yella? It's like saying downtown Bellevue is the burbs.

I think you actually have taken some classes at UW thought. Don't think Pup ever did.
    I was just locked out of a Duck subreddit for making disparaging remarks in response to a Duck fan accusing all Husky fans of being “locals with no actual affiliation to the school”. I also got in a good natured but awkwardly contentious “discussion” with an old man at the checkout in Safeway who said “I don’t see the big deal about the Washington QB. Nix looked better in every way to me”. I tried to push his wheelchair into traffic.
    I'd be shocked is the percentage of Jack to Alumni isn't much higher for Oregon vs UW.

Also, do we need to a separate category for guys who were accepted to either school and took classes but didn't finish? I mean was Ted Bundy a Husky or a Jack Doog?

11 miles from Downtown skid row. LA has A bunch of skid rows...one of which you can throw a rock and hit from the Coliseum parking lot. You will get stabbed with a needle simply for exiting the wrong way from a game. Csb one of my former friends I went to high-school with who has a trust fund lives in a tent under that bridge doing drugs. We see him sometimes when we go to games(and quickly go the other way).

Seriously, I know this area well and am the board superiority guy. RIP @CirrhosisDawg for challenging me on that shit. I tailgated and had bacon wrapped hot dogs in the parking lot vs. Stanford this year ftr.

You been to Pasadena proper in the last 20 years yella? It's like saying downtown Bellevue is the burbs.
    Bot, I'm not saying I'm more LA Metro superiority guy than you here, but I'm a native So Cali-Fag sand thus not a total ignorant 'sum bitch on these topics.

I've been to Downtown Pasadena a lot in the past 20 years for weddings, visiting my little brother, and most recently the 2019 Rose Bowl. Pasadena has 137,000 people which is only like 30,000 more than White Wakanda. It's a suburb (albeit a large one) and not an urban core like UW being 3 miles from Downtown Seattle or GA Tech being in Downtown LA.
  • DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 825

I was just locked out of a Duck subreddit for making disparaging remarks in response to a Duck fan accusing all Husky fans of being “locals with no actual affiliation to the school”. I also got in a good natured but awkwardly contentious “discussion” with an old man at the checkout in Safeway who said “I don’t see the big deal about the Washington QB. Nix looked better in every way to me”. I tried to push his wheelchair into traffic.
    I'd be shocked is the percentage of Jack to Alumni isn't much higher for Oregon vs UW.

Also, do we need to a separate category for guys who were accepted to either school and took classes but didn't finish? I mean was Ted Bundy a Husky or a Jack Doog?
    We’ll accept Ted Bundy, he performed at the peak of his craft. Same with Bruce Lee. My dad took some classes at UW but ultimately graduated from Central. I’ve never considered him a Jack Doog. But, now that I’m thinking about it, he might meet a different definition of Doog. He goes to the Rose Bowl if either UW or WSU is playing.
    edited October 2023
    TheHB said:

The cuog issue with Husky fans who didn't go to UW cracks me up. It's literally one of the dumbest perspectives possible, and it can only be rooted in the fact that very few who went to WSU (or had relatives go there) would voluntarily be a cuog.

And it's not like every single human being east of the Cascades isn't a Cuog. Although it's a particularly heinous form of the Jackery since being a Jack is a completely voluntary choice that requires nothing more than picking a team. If you're deciding where to give your heart between UW and Cuog, I would think the answer to be fairly obvious.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,971 Swaye's Wigwam

Maybe things have changed on this point, but when I was growing up, UW was THE fucking team around here and had a healthy Jack population. In fact, back in my TUFF Grays Harbor days, only a few of the parents who drove up to Seattle for W games were actual alums.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Anyone can be a DWAG!!!!! Just have to get through @krisvashon first.
    UW is not really "the team" anywhere in Washington anymore. Jack doogs barely even exist. For me to see anything UW related where I live and frequent for work, shopping etc is a once a month occurrence. I see multiple zero stickers and flags and license plate holders every day.

It is a reversal that happened in my adult lifetime. I was raised rooting for all NW teams both collegiate and pro, but not Oregon. Never. You didn't go out in public in Oregon gear around here. Cuog, Husky or even Beav but not Oregon. Somehow Bellotti and Chipster, or Knight I suppose, completely turned the natural order on it's head.