Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My Thoughts on The Greatest Setting in College Football

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,248 Founders Club
I don't think it will ever be possible to get Husky Stadium back to the consistent game in game out energy of the early to mid 1990's. UW's culture and Seattle in general has changed too much over the past 30 plus years along with all the other changes to the sport (e.g., abundance of 730PM kickoffs).

But for those rare matchups when our fans show up and the place is loud and full, Husky Stadium is still the coolest looking stadium in college football on a big screen TV. I was in awe watching Youtube highlights of the game this morning. Husky Stadium is the only place west of Texas capable of looking like an SEC house on TV. Autzen is too small and LA is too fucking soft.

Getting Ohio State, Michigan, Penn St, USC, etc, at home more often certainly won't hurt for creating more of these types of experiences.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,248 Founders Club
    TheHB said:

The Gameday guys, especially Reece Davis, had multiple orgasms every time a shot of the stadium was on the screen.

Saturday may have been the biggest marketing day for UW football in school history. That may be hilarious to a school like Oregon that oozes marketing hype thanks to Phil's billions, but UW needs it badly as the arms race gets more heated.

Oh for sure. You couldn't have asked for a better scenario to show off UW.

The tides may be turning finally in our favor with a Football President, a Football AD, and decent Football coach. @RaceBannon have we ever had this combo before? Was upper campus football friendly in the 80s?

Guys did you know Washington is in Seattle?

It's a handicap, but Seattle still looks way cooler on TV than Austin, Waco, College Station, Dallas, Norman, etc.

If you got it, flaunt it.
    On thing I noticed on Friday walking down to Red Square which was disappointing was how little purple gear there was amongst the student body. Not sure how well this bodes for the future. We're gonna need more Jack Doogs like @puppylove_sugarsteel (RIP) to survive in the long haul.

But I guess we still have enough students that think and care though to pack the student section. Still need to put @UW_Doog_Bot in charge and move them back to the 50.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,326

It's a handicap, but Seattle still looks way cooler on TV than Austin, Waco, College Station, Dallas, Norman, etc.

Mocking McAfee, name a bigger football program with a more urban setting? I couldn’t think of one, maybe UT-Austin? Georgia Tech?
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Boat tailgating is a thing at UW
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,826

Mocking McAfee, name a bigger football program with a more urban setting? I couldn’t think of one, maybe UT-Austin? Georgia Tech?
    USC?
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,725 Swaye's Wigwam

I don't think it will ever be possible to get Husky Stadium back to the consistent game in game out energy of the early to mid 1990's. UW's culture and Seattle in general has changed too much over the past 30 plus years along with all the other changes to the sport (e.g., abundance of 730PM kickoffs).

But for those rare matchups when our fans show up and the place is loud and full, Husky Stadium is still the coolest looking stadium in college football on a big screen TV. I was in awe watching Youtube highlights of the game this morning. Husky Stadium is the only place west of Texas capable of looking like an SEC house on TV. Autzen is too small and LA is too fucking soft.

Getting Ohio State, Michigan, Penn St, USC, etc, at home more often certainly won't hurt for creating more of these types of experiences.

Can't wait to see what Dannen does for the Michigan game next year. It'll be his opportunity to improve the fan and gameday experience
    LawDawg1 said:

USC?
    I think the only contender here are USC, UT-Austin, GA Tech and UW.

@LoneStarDawg I'm not a Texas superiority guy but I think UT is closer to Downtown Austin that Montlake is to Downtown Seattle right? Austin has had incredible growth of course but I think Seattle still has a bidder skyline right?

LA Coliseum is about the same distance to Downtown LA as UW is to Downtown Seattle. But it's in a shithole. Still, it's arguably to most iconic overall sports venue in the United States based on 3 Olympics, Pro Football, 2 college teams (until the early 80s), and even @trublue and the World Series in 1959.

NOC about GA Tech and Atlanta. That's pro sports town.

@creepycoug might have had a claim with the TUFF old Orange Bowl.
  • PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,523 Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Swaye said:

whlinder said:

LawDawg1 said:

USC?

@LoneStarDawg I'm not a Texas superiority guy but I think UT is closer to Downtown Austin that Montlake is to Downtown Seattle right? Austin has had incredible growth of course but I think Seattle still has a bidder skyline right?

LA Coliseum is about the same distance to Downtown LA as UW is to Downtown Seattle. But it's in a shithole. Still, it's arguably to most iconic overall sports venue in the United States based on 3 Olympics, Pro Football, 2 college teams (until the early 80s), and even @trublue and the World Series in 1959.

One more which qualifies but does not compare:

I want to go there and pull down the 1960. Frauds.
    I think you might actually have the right to do whatever you want there since the stadium honors you

Is that snow or is Swaye just as excited as I am for Gopher girls?
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,326

LawDawg1 said:

USC?

UT-Austin is in the middle of downtown probably 30 min walk from urban center to UT , but Austin downtown is like Bellevue, it’s very small.

I can’t think of a bigger program in a bigger urban setting.
  • HypnotiqueHypnotique Member Posts: 72

LawDawg1 said:

USC?

Miami
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

LawDawg1 said:

USC?

UT-Austin is in the middle of downtown probably 30 min walk from urban center to UT , but Austin downtown is like Bellevue, it’s very small.

I can’t think of a bigger program in a bigger urban setting.
    What can make UT feel more urban is that Darrell K Royal Stadium is so close to I-35 that you almost feel like you can touch it when driving by there

It’s definitely the closest to Seattle and UW for sure

I haven’t been to Columbus so I can’t speak on that one … but hard to compare Columbus to places like Seattle and Austin