Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My Thoughts on The Greatest Setting in College Football

Comments

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,561 Swaye's Wigwam

Even though I'm about to be a Trooj alumnus I'm going to chime in and say that the "urban setting" of USC is haught garbage. It's literally next to a skid row under the freeway and south central LA which is fast recovering from gentrification and going through decolonialism. The beach is the only attractive local feature worth value and it's definitely not within campus proximity.

Gonna hate myself for this but the real competition for UW is UCLA. Westwood for campus and Pasadena for the Rose Bowl with its back against the Los Angeles National Forest and mountains. USC ain't close from an LA perspective.

UW just needs to reassert ownership of the Rose Bowl to maintain setting superiority.

Not so fast my friend. Pasadena is the burbs and Rose Bowl is 11 miles from Downtown LA Skidrow.

The Rose Bowl and Husky Stadium, however, are the too most scenic college football venues and it's not really close. Army might be in their place. BYU and @89ute just aren't on par in in spite of the Wasnatch Range.
    11 miles from Downtown skid row. LA has A bunch of skid rows...one of which you can throw a rock and hit from the Coliseum parking lot. You will get stabbed with a needle simply for exiting the wrong way from a game. Csb one of my former friends I went to high-school with who has a trust fund lives in a tent under that bridge doing drugs. We see him sometimes when we go to games(and quickly go the other way).

Seriously, I know this area well and am the board superiority guy. RIP @CirrhosisDawg for challenging me on that shit. I tailgated and had bacon wrapped hot dogs in the parking lot vs. Stanford this year ftr.

You been to Pasadena proper in the last 20 years yella? It's like saying downtown Bellevue is the burbs.
    Bot, I'm not saying I'm more LA Metro superiority guy than you here, but I'm a native So Cali-Fag sand thus not a total ignorant 'sum bitch on these topics.

I've been to Downtown Pasadena a lot in the past 20 years for weddings, visiting my little brother, and most recently the 2019 Rose Bowl. Pasadena has 137,000 people which is only like 30,000 more than White Wakanda. It's a suburb (albeit a large one) and not an urban core like UW being 3 miles from Downtown Seattle or GA Tech being in Downtown LA.
    Being a 137,000 suburb is kind of meaningless in a 10 million person metro no? The lines are arbitrary.

And measuring distance to "downtown core" is also kinda meaningless in LA where sprawl is the norm and "downtown" isn't even considered the "city center". Distances in SoCal are on a different measuring tape.

As a Cali-fag you should know this.

I'd put it like this,

U-district = Pasadena/Westwood

Seattle metro = LA metro

You can quibble it but it mostly comes down to preference and taste for the respective areas.

The real edge UW has is the waterfront. I hear you can tailgate on a boat. While the mountains are cool tailgating on the lawn at the Rosebowl isn't that speshul in the wide world of college football.
  • DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 825
    chuck said:

On thing I noticed on Friday walking down to Red Square which was disappointing was how little purple gear there was amongst the student body. Not sure how well this bodes for the future. We're gonna need more Jack Doogs like @puppylove_sugarsteel (RIP) to survive in the long haul.

But I guess we still have enough students that think and care though to pack the student section. Still need to put @UW_Doog_Bot in charge and move them back to the 50.

I'll carry on the LW Kangaroo Jack Doog torch in pup's honor.
    I think you actually have taken some classes at UW thought. Don't think Pup ever did.
    I was just locked out of a Duck subreddit for making disparaging remarks in response to a Duck fan accusing all Husky fans of being “locals with no actual affiliation to the school”. I also got in a good natured but awkwardly contentious “discussion” with an old man at the checkout in Safeway who said “I don’t see the big deal about the Washington QB. Nix looked better in every way to me”. I tried to push his wheelchair into traffic.
    I'd be shocked is the percentage of Jack to Alumni isn't much higher for Oregon vs UW.

Also, do we need to a separate category for guys who were accepted to either school and took classes but didn't finish? I mean was Ted Bundy a Husky or a Jack Doog?
    Maybe things have changed on this point, but when I was growing up, UW was THE fucking team around here and had a healthy Jack population. In fact, back in my TUFF Grays Harbor days, only a few of the parents who drove up to Seattle for W games were actual alums.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Anyone can be a DWAG!!!!! Just have to get through @krisvashon first.
    UW is not really "the team" anywhere in Washington anymore. Jack doogs barely even exist. For me to see anything UW related where I live and frequent for work, shopping etc is a once a month occurrence. I see multiple zero stickers and flags and license plate holders every day.

It is a reversal that happened in my adult lifetime. I was raised rooting for all NW teams both collegiate and pro, but not Oregon. Never. You didn't go out in public in Oregon gear around here. Cuog, Husky or even Beav but not Oregon. Somehow Bellotti and Chipster, or Knight I suppose, completely turned the natural order on it's head.
    I had this discussion with my Duck brother in law during the game. He’s a big Duck fan and alum but is basically a decent dude. He actually seemed receptive to the fact that Oregon is a manufactured hype machine that was not built organically. His only retort was “yeah but it’s not like you’d turn down the Nike money if it was presented”. That’s fair.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,826
    TheHB said:

The cuog issue with Husky fans who didn't go to UW cracks me up. It's literally one of the dumbest perspectives possible, and it can only be rooted in the fact that very few who went to WSU (or had relatives go there) would voluntarily be a cuog.

You haven't spent much time in Eastern WA where 1/100th of the population went to WSU but 99% of them are coug fans. They don't understand the term hypocrite so it works for them.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,248 Founders Club

Even though I'm about to be a Trooj alumnus I'm going to chime in and say that the "urban setting" of USC is haught garbage. It's literally next to a skid row under the freeway and south central LA which is fast recovering from gentrification and going through decolonialism. The beach is the only attractive local feature worth value and it's definitely not within campus proximity.

Gonna hate myself for this but the real competition for UW is UCLA. Westwood for campus and Pasadena for the Rose Bowl with its back against the Los Angeles National Forest and mountains. USC ain't close from an LA perspective.

UW just needs to reassert ownership of the Rose Bowl to maintain setting superiority.

Not so fast my friend. Pasadena is the burbs and Rose Bowl is 11 miles from Downtown LA Skidrow.

The Rose Bowl and Husky Stadium, however, are the too most scenic college football venues and it's not really close. Army might be in their place. BYU and @89ute just aren't on par in in spite of the Wasnatch Range.
    11 miles from Downtown skid row. LA has A bunch of skid rows...one of which you can throw a rock and hit from the Coliseum parking lot. You will get stabbed with a needle simply for exiting the wrong way from a game. Csb one of my former friends I went to high-school with who has a trust fund lives in a tent under that bridge doing drugs. We see him sometimes when we go to games(and quickly go the other way).

Seriously, I know this area well and am the board superiority guy. RIP @CirrhosisDawg for challenging me on that shit. I tailgated and had bacon wrapped hot dogs in the parking lot vs. Stanford this year ftr.

You been to Pasadena proper in the last 20 years yella? It's like saying downtown Bellevue is the burbs.
    Bot, I'm not saying I'm more LA Metro superiority guy than you here, but I'm a native So Cali-Fag sand thus not a total ignorant 'sum bitch on these topics.

I've been to Downtown Pasadena a lot in the past 20 years for weddings, visiting my little brother, and most recently the 2019 Rose Bowl. Pasadena has 137,000 people which is only like 30,000 more than White Wakanda. It's a suburb (albeit a large one) and not an urban core like UW being 3 miles from Downtown Seattle or GA Tech being in Downtown LA.
    Being a 137,000 suburb is kind of meaningless in a 10 million person metro no? The lines are arbitrary.

And measuring distance to "downtown core" is also kinda meaningless in LA where sprawl is the norm and "downtown" isn't even considered the "city center". Distances in SoCal are on a different measuring tape.

I'd put it like this,

Seattle metro = LA metro

You can quibble it but it mostly comes down to preference and taste for the respective areas.

The real edge UW has is the waterfront. I hear you can tailgate on a boat. While the mountains are cool tailgating on the lawn at the Rosebowl isn't that speshul in the wide world of college football.
    Quibble I will. Yes, LAX is spread the fuck out like no city in the US. But Pasadena is still a ways out from the core of LA. By your logic, we should say that Cal is in San Francisco (same distance basically and much, much closer to Oakland which is a big town).

Disagree on Rose Bowl. The Arroyo Seco and snow capped San Gabriels are pretty unique in college football.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,248 Founders Club

On thing I noticed on Friday walking down to Red Square which was disappointing was how little purple gear there was amongst the student body. Not sure how well this bodes for the future. We're gonna need more Jack Doogs like @puppylove_sugarsteel (RIP) to survive in the long haul.

But I guess we still have enough students that think and care though to pack the student section. Still need to put @UW_Doog_Bot in charge and move them back to the 50.

I'll carry on the LW Kangaroo Jack Doog torch in pup's honor.
    I think you actually have taken some classes at UW thought. Don't think Pup ever did.
    I was just locked out of a Duck subreddit for making disparaging remarks in response to a Duck fan accusing all Husky fans of being “locals with no actual affiliation to the school”. I also got in a good natured but awkwardly contentious “discussion” with an old man at the checkout in Safeway who said “I don’t see the big deal about the Washington QB. Nix looked better in every way to me”. I tried to push his wheelchair into traffic.
    I'd be shocked is the percentage of Jack to Alumni isn't much higher for Oregon vs UW.

Also, do we need to a separate category for guys who were accepted to either school and took classes but didn't finish? I mean was Ted Bundy a Husky or a Jack Doog?
    Maybe things have changed on this point, but when I was growing up, UW was THE fucking team around here and had a healthy Jack population. In fact, back in my TUFF Grays Harbor days, only a few of the parents who drove up to Seattle for W games were actual alums.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Anyone can be a DWAG!!!!! Just have to get through @krisvashon first.
    I have no issues Jack Doogs or Jack Ducks, unless you're a 5'6" custom jersey wearing douche canoe (hi @WoolleyDoog ) with 503 Duck as the textbook example. Although when I see @puppylove_sugarsteel in the afterlife, I'm gonna give that Jack Doog a ration of shit for calling me a new fish.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,202

Convince me it is not. It certainly isn't Seattle proper.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,405
    I applied and was accepted, but did not want to play beisbol in the rain, so I froze my ass off instead (It's a "dry" cold). Hence, I do not rep the W. My wife has half a closet filled with Husky stuff, enough for both of us. License plate, frame, alumni sticker, you name it, she's got it.

I seem to see more "O" shit on the peninsula (ILTCITP), but it may just be big trucks with the giant "O" on the back window that cut me off all the time.

My first live college football game was at TGS...UCLA in 74. Went to Pullman a couple years later, and thought it was JV in comparison. Therefore, I became a doog, albeit a jack doog...

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,513 Swaye's Wigwam
    A conversation I had with my dad and brother on the weekend asked what percentage of people at the game had attended UW or had a family member that did/does. I guessed something like 60% based on absolutely nothing. Any thoughts from you edjemakated doogs?
  • Geevis_and_ButtheadGeevis_and_Butthead Member Posts: 992

Wonder what percentage of Husky Stadium ticket buyers would say they care more about the university's academic mission than the football program?

How would UW's ratio compare to Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc?
  • Geevis_and_ButtheadGeevis_and_Butthead Member Posts: 992
    edited October 2023
    chuck said:

UW is not really "the team" anywhere in Washington anymore. Jack doogs barely even exist.

if this is the case (and I have no idea), how much is it the result of arrogance and elitism from UW's administration on down to the alumni?
  • DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 825

chuck said:

UW is not really "the team" anywhere in Washington anymore. Jack doogs barely even exist.

if this is the case (and I have no idea), how much is it the result of arrogance and elitism from UW's administration on down to the alumni?
    Todd Turner and UW were trying to play school while Oregon marketed their asses off. I don’t think it’s complicated.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,971 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

None of it unless you factor in that said arrogance led to Todd Turner and Ty Willingham. Most of the Jack fans (this is a new telrm to me but I'm using it) didn't go to college at all or just not one that had a D1 football program.

It's simply about wins, big wins, and marketing. Oregon has had more of all of the above for 20 years. It's going to take something like a natty or multiple years like this one strung together to fix it
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,764 Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

UW was set up to do all this six or seven years ago, but Peterman lost interest and didn’t tell anyone until it was too late.

Peterman still finished #4

DeBoer hasnt beat that yet
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,848 Swaye's Wigwam
    Peterman was set up for keeping UW at that level. It could have been more than a one-year thing. But he became a vegetarian and pussed out.

I was just locked out of a Duck subreddit for making disparaging remarks in response to a Duck fan accusing all Husky fans of being “locals with no actual affiliation to the school

This is from far the insult it was either intended to be or received as such

Only elitist UW alums desperately trying to keep up with their peers at UCLA and Cal could possibly give a shit about the makeup of a fan base.

WGAF who fills the stadium if they're screaming for the Huskies?
    Plenty of USC fans from South Central that have never been to campus proper that fill the Coliseum.

It's the difference why UCLA doesn't have half the numbers.

I'd put it like this,

Seattle metro = LA metro

Quibble I will. Yes, LAX is spread the fuck out like no city in the US. But Pasadena is still a ways out from the core of LA. By your logic, we should say that Cal is in San Francisco (same distance basically and much, much closer to Oakland which is a big town).

Disagree on Rose Bowl. The Arroyo Seco and snow capped San Gabriels are pretty unique in college football.
    It's fifteen minutes from the Rose Bowl to Union Station. In notoriously terrible LA public transit the A line literally goes from Pasadena city center to Union in ~20. The 110 was literally built to connect the two and is one of if not the oldest freeway in the US(back when it was an actual suburb).

Haven't used the light rail but it used to take me much longer to get to downtown Seattle from the U-district than that.

Westwood is between Beverly Hills/Hollywood and Santa Monica. If you tell me LA downtown is the "core of the city" you are going to have your California credentials revoked. Hate to see it.

I'm all for talking shit on UCLA but you are really pressing on this one.