Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My Thoughts on The Greatest Setting in College Football

124»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,077
    Canadawg said:

A conversation I had with my dad and brother on the weekend asked what percentage of people at the game had attended UW or had a family member that did/does. I guessed something like 60% based on absolutely nothing. Any thoughts from you edjemakated doogs?

Well, once you get into family members you're dealing with a much broader cut at the matter.

Honestly it's a 'who cares' in my book.

Let me put this in perspective: @RaceBannon is a Jack Doog, although he dropped out so was at the school at one point. Ask him, he'll tell you. And I don't know anyone who has Washington football history down better than that guy.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,153 Founders Club

On thing I noticed on Friday walking down to Red Square which was disappointing was how little purple gear there was amongst the student body. Not sure how well this bodes for the future. We're gonna need more Jack Doogs like @puppylove_sugarsteel (RIP) to survive in the long haul.

But I guess we still have enough students that think and care though to pack the student section. Still need to put @UW_Doog_Bot in charge and move them back to the 50.

I'll carry on the LW Kangaroo Jack Doog torch in pup's honor.
    I think you actually have taken some classes at UW thought. Don't think Pup ever did.
    I was just locked out of a Duck subreddit for making disparaging remarks in response to a Duck fan accusing all Husky fans of being “locals with no actual affiliation to the school”. I also got in a good natured but awkwardly contentious “discussion” with an old man at the checkout in Safeway who said “I don’t see the big deal about the Washington QB. Nix looked better in every way to me”. I tried to push his wheelchair into traffic.
    Show some respect to @theknowledge when he’s working
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,853 Founders Club

On thing I noticed on Friday walking down to Red Square which was disappointing was how little purple gear there was amongst the student body. Not sure how well this bodes for the future. We're gonna need more Jack Doogs like @puppylove_sugarsteel (RIP) to survive in the long haul.

But I guess we still have enough students that think and care though to pack the student section. Still need to put @UW_Doog_Bot in charge and move them back to the 50.

I think you actually have taken some classes at UW thought. Don't think Pup ever did.
    I was just locked out of a Duck subreddit for making disparaging remarks in response to a Duck fan accusing all Husky fans of being “locals with no actual affiliation to the school”. I also got in a good natured but awkwardly contentious “discussion” with an old man at the checkout in Safeway who said “I don’t see the big deal about the Washington QB. Nix looked better in every way to me”. I tried to push his wheelchair into traffic.
    Show some respect to @theknowledge when he’s working
    I support customer on customer violence. Spices up my day. Especially if some crip is talking trash about Penix. FAFO
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,561 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I'd be shocked is the percentage of Jack to Alumni isn't much higher for Oregon vs UW.

Also, do we need to a separate category for guys who were accepted to either school and took classes but didn't finish? I mean was Ted Bundy a Husky or a Jack Doog?
    Maybe things have changed on this point, but when I was growing up, UW was THE fucking team around here and had a healthy Jack population. In fact, back in my TUFF Grays Harbor days, only a few of the parents who drove up to Seattle for W games were actual alums.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Anyone can be a DWAG!!!!! Just have to get through @krisvashon first.
    UW is not really "the team" anywhere in Washington anymore. Jack doogs barely even exist. For me to see anything UW related where I live and frequent for work, shopping etc is a once a month occurrence. I see multiple zero stickers and flags and license plate holders every day.

It is a reversal that happened in my adult lifetime. I was raised rooting for all NW teams both collegiate and pro, but not Oregon. Never. You didn't go out in public in Oregon gear around here. Cuog, Husky or even Beav but not Oregon. Somehow Bellotti and Chipster, or Knight I suppose, completely turned the natural order on it's head.
    Hate to quibble with you Chuck while Yella and my primo are duking it out mid-thread about whether the Rose Bowl is suburban or urban, but who am I kidding - I love to quibble. I agree it may not be like it was because of all the scarftards in Seattle, but keep your eye on the bandwagon as UW keeps winning. As for me, I personally know tons of Jack Doogs. I know tons of dudes who went elsewhere to school who love UW football. My kids are Jack Doogs. East coast edgumacation but they pull for the DWAGS!! They're everywhere man. And, now that the winning is happening, I'm seeing UW shit all over Seattle. Open Yo Eyes!

Also, in my day, nobody in Washington wore either Oregon school stuff. You'd see USC stuff (of course), sometimes UCLA, but that was it. I knew two doods in the Harb who were Nebraska guys and sometimes wore their stuff. But mostly, UW. Even Cuog that far west didn't get a lot of play with gear back in my day. It was Husky Rose Bowl sweatshirts wherever you looked. Lots of people wound up going to Cuog, but that was an academis issue, not a fan loyalty issue.

Again, I ask, if you're going to Jack, why not pick the right school to Jack? It's literally a matter of making a good vs. a painful decision. Nobody does that shit voluntarily unless they're eastern washington people with a farmer / animal husbandry chip on their shoulder.
    When I was a kid it wasn't uncommon to see Huskies gear in movies or TV. You knew that character was TUFF if he was wearing purple and gold husky gear. As a kid and former Jack doog turned real doog I can tell you this shit makes a difference. Multichannel marketing and messaging.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,248 Founders Club

chuck said:

I'd be shocked is the percentage of Jack to Alumni isn't much higher for Oregon vs UW.

Also, do we need to a separate category for guys who were accepted to either school and took classes but didn't finish? I mean was Ted Bundy a Husky or a Jack Doog?
    Maybe things have changed on this point, but when I was growing up, UW was THE fucking team around here and had a healthy Jack population. In fact, back in my TUFF Grays Harbor days, only a few of the parents who drove up to Seattle for W games were actual alums.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Anyone can be a DWAG!!!!! Just have to get through @krisvashon first.
    UW is not really "the team" anywhere in Washington anymore. Jack doogs barely even exist. For me to see anything UW related where I live and frequent for work, shopping etc is a once a month occurrence. I see multiple zero stickers and flags and license plate holders every day.

It is a reversal that happened in my adult lifetime. I was raised rooting for all NW teams both collegiate and pro, but not Oregon. Never. You didn't go out in public in Oregon gear around here. Cuog, Husky or even Beav but not Oregon. Somehow Bellotti and Chipster, or Knight I suppose, completely turned the natural order on it's head.
    Hate to quibble with you Chuck while Yella and my primo are duking it out mid-thread about whether the Rose Bowl is suburban or urban, but who am I kidding - I love to quibble. I agree it may not be like it was because of all the scarftards in Seattle, but keep your eye on the bandwagon as UW keeps winning. As for me, I personally know tons of Jack Doogs. I know tons of dudes who went elsewhere to school who love UW football. My kids are Jack Doogs. East coast edgumacation but they pull for the DWAGS!! They're everywhere man. And, now that the winning is happening, I'm seeing UW shit all over Seattle. Open Yo Eyes!

Also, in my day, nobody in Washington wore either Oregon school stuff. You'd see USC stuff (of course), sometimes UCLA, but that was it. I knew two doods in the Harb who were Nebraska guys and sometimes wore their stuff. But mostly, UW. Even Cuog that far west didn't get a lot of play with gear back in my day. It was Husky Rose Bowl sweatshirts wherever you looked. Lots of people wound up going to Cuog, but that was an academis issue, not a fan loyalty issue.

Again, I ask, if you're going to Jack, why not pick the right school to Jack? It's literally a matter of making a good vs. a painful decision. Nobody does that shit voluntarily unless they're eastern washington people with a farmer / animal husbandry chip on their shoulder.
    When I was a kid it wasn't uncommon to see Huskies gear in movies or TV. You knew that character was TUFF if he was wearing purple and gold husky gear. As a kid and former Jack doog turned real doog I can tell you this shit makes a difference. Multichannel marketing and messaging.
    I’m grooming my kids to be Jack Doogs even if they have be shitty @BennyBeaver s.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,916 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I’m grooming my kids to be Jack Doogs even if they have be shitty @BennyBeaver s.
    My heathens think it’s funny to cheer for the dwags and hawks opponent’s. TOF doesn’t think it’s funny when I tell them to STFU.

Again, you deserve this award more than I do.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,248 Founders Club

Even though I'm about to be a Trooj alumnus I'm going to chime in and say that the "urban setting" of USC is haught garbage. It's literally next to a skid row under the freeway and south central LA which is fast recovering from gentrification and going through decolonialism. The beach is the only attractive local feature worth value and it's definitely not within campus proximity.

Gonna hate myself for this but the real competition for UW is UCLA. Westwood for campus and Pasadena for the Rose Bowl with its back against the Los Angeles National Forest and mountains. USC ain't close from an LA perspective.

UW just needs to reassert ownership of the Rose Bowl to maintain setting superiority.

Not so fast my friend. Pasadena is the burbs and Rose Bowl is 11 miles from Downtown LA Skidrow.

The Rose Bowl and Husky Stadium, however, are the too most scenic college football venues and it's not really close. Army might be in their place. BYU and @89ute just aren't on par in in spite of the Wasnatch Range.
    11 miles from Downtown skid row. LA has A bunch of skid rows...one of which you can throw a rock and hit from the Coliseum parking lot. You will get stabbed with a needle simply for exiting the wrong way from a game. Csb one of my former friends I went to high-school with who has a trust fund lives in a tent under that bridge doing drugs. We see him sometimes when we go to games(and quickly go the other way).

Seriously, I know this area well and am the board superiority guy. RIP @CirrhosisDawg for challenging me on that shit. I tailgated and had bacon wrapped hot dogs in the parking lot vs. Stanford this year ftr.

You been to Pasadena proper in the last 20 years yella? It's like saying downtown Bellevue is the burbs.
    Bot, I'm not saying I'm more LA Metro superiority guy than you here, but I'm a native So Cali-Fag sand thus not a total ignorant 'sum bitch on these topics.

I've been to Downtown Pasadena a lot in the past 20 years for weddings, visiting my little brother, and most recently the 2019 Rose Bowl. Pasadena has 137,000 people which is only like 30,000 more than White Wakanda. It's a suburb (albeit a large one) and not an urban core like UW being 3 miles from Downtown Seattle or GA Tech being in Downtown LA.
    Being a 137,000 suburb is kind of meaningless in a 10 million person metro no? The lines are arbitrary.

And measuring distance to "downtown core" is also kinda meaningless in LA where sprawl is the norm and "downtown" isn't even considered the "city center". Distances in SoCal are on a different measuring tape.

As a Cali-fag you should know this.

I'd put it like this,

U-district = Pasadena/Westwood

Seattle metro = LA metro

You can quibble it but it mostly comes down to preference and taste for the respective areas.

The real edge UW has is the waterfront. I hear you can tailgate on a boat. While the mountains are cool tailgating on the lawn at the Rosebowl isn't that speshul in the wide world of college football.
    Quibble I will. Yes, LAX is spread the fuck out like no city in the US. But Pasadena is still a ways out from the core of LA. By your logic, we should say that Cal is in San Francisco (same distance basically and much, much closer to Oakland which is a big town).

Disagree on Rose Bowl. The Arroyo Seco and snow capped San Gabriels are pretty unique in college football.
    It's fifteen minutes from the Rose Bowl to Union Station. In notoriously terrible LA public transit the A line literally goes from Pasadena city center to Union in ~20. The 110 was literally built to connect the two and is one of if not the oldest freeway in the US(back when it was an actual suburb).

Haven't used the light rail but it used to take me much longer to get to downtown Seattle from the U-district than that.

Westwood is between Beverly Hills/Hollywood and Santa Monica. If you tell me LA downtown is the "core of the city" you are going to have your California credentials revoked. Hate to see it.

I'm all for talking shit on UCLA but you are really pressing on this one.
    I just don't see that way.

I rode said choo choo to the Rose Bowl. Hell, one used to be able to take a Red Car Trolley from LA down to Newport Beach back in the Roger Rabbit days.

One can take BART from Downtown SFO over roughly the same mileage of track to Berkeley and yet I don't think any of us consider CAL to be in SF.

I'm not going to die on this hill, but I'm not going to agree either.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,971 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I was being hyperbolic by saying there are none, but UW fans in general, jack or alumni, are badly outnumbered in rural Washington by Oregon and WSU fans. When I say rural I really speak for the entire state outside of the Seattle area. Anyplace within reach of Portland/Vancouver probably has more Beav fans than UW and that includes my area.

I've seen this happen. I've lived here a long time. I do agree that Jack doogdom has been sleeping and can be roused. It was stirred a bit in 2016. It just takes something a little bigger and more sustained than what Petersen accomplished.

Someone asked if it had to do with the arrogance and elitism at UW and the answer is no. Quook and especially Cuog have always kept that in their back pockets as a last ditch retort, but that's never what it was about. Plus no fan base could too the new money arrogance of Quook nation since the Chipster was there. And remember "Time for the D word?" Lol.

UW just needs to win a lot and they will come. Your average jack fan loves to identify with the perceived elite side, as long as they kick ass on the field.