Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I’m just pissed

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,963
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

I just think all of the Pac 12 academis smack talk over the years is pointless. It just doesn't matter in big time college football.

I think there's been a total of like 6 natties in the past 25 years by schools's with respectable academis. USC (2); Texas (1); Ohio State (2) and Miamuh (1). I really hate having to include Miamuh here, but @creepycoug told me I have to.

Miami is an academics school?
    We always tie Miami. UW and Miami are tied at #55

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-miami-1536

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-washington-3798
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,987
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    FireCohen said:

I just think all of the Pac 12 academis smack talk over the years is pointless. It just doesn't matter in big time college football.

I think there's been a total of like 6 natties in the past 25 years by schools's with respectable academis. USC (2); Texas (1); Ohio State (2) and Miamuh (1). I really hate having to include Miamuh here, but @creepycoug told me I have to.

I think Luther Campbell has an honorary doctorate there. So yes they are in fact an academis.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,025
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

So not to be a homer or anything, but seriously, how the fuck did the PAC 12 implode? I always took great pride that my institution, one of the true drivers of innovation and change in the world, was banded together with other like minded institutions. Stanford and Berkeley, UCLA and Washington were the heart of the Pacific Conference and world leaders in every sense of the word. USC and Oregon (as much as we malign them) had national relevance to the culture and knowledge. Giants walking the earth. Zeitgeist personified.

Arizona was not far behind. Wazzu, in its areas, is relevant worldwide. Oregon state was admittedly a laggard and ASU generally only good for beautiful coeds (we all need wives). even the addition of Colorado (a very fine place of higher learning) and Utah (less so but the Mormons are hard workers) did not diminish the light of the PAC.

It was, by any measure, at least as impactful globally as the Ivy League. International measures had Stanford, Cal and UW as top 10 institutions, with UCLA and USC top 50.

So now we get down to brass tacks. Who is to blame for this abomination. Kliavkoff was too new to have real blame. And a large portion of blame much be meted out to Larry Scott, who mismanaged the intellectual property of the PAC it was criminal.

But my friends, my loyal purple and gold friends, the true culprit in this is the University of Southern California. Those Trojan rat bastards sold their pacific souls and forced the rest to pick up the pieces. I place little blame on UCLA, they merely followed.

So fuck the Trojans. Fuck them for not enjoying paradise. Fuck them for being afraid of the rest of the west coast. Fuck them for being the fake ass Hollywood bitches they are.

It’s time to declare war. Who’s with me?

how did it implode - i dont want to put in the effort to type it all out, i think vanilla caps at 10k characters

like minded institutions - tv money got everyone crazy

fuck usc - always and forever

declaration of war - uw got what they wanted, a seat at the adults table at thanksgiving, whats not to like?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

FireCohen said:

Miami has historically been a bit harder to get into, so the avg. undergrad there was a bit smarter than the average UW undergrad. Numbers don't lie. I don't know that that's the case anymore, but historically it was. Of course, while Miami has a teaching hospital, law school (with a great tax program) and business school, UW has historically ranked higher in many/most departments. It's not a research behemoth by any stretch, but yes, it's a school full of kids who were very solid students in high school. That, to me anyway, is the most relevant measure.
  • Options
    StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 487
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club

FireCohen said:

US News is about as good a ranking as Buzzfeed. If you look at scholarship and world changing research, Miami is a pale imitation of the true centers of civilization.

And I get your point that academis prowess is not generally appreciated in Football. And with NIL and the portal it will only get worse.

But I can still grieve while at the same time be relieved we are in the BIG 10. I guess this is my Kennedy getting shot moment. The world will never be quite the same.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Is Georgia not on the same level of academis? I thought it was basically tied with Florida for #2 SEC school after Vandy. Would definitely have it on the same level as tOSU in my head; maybe the rankings say otherwise.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,963
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Is Georgia not on the same level of academis? I thought it was basically tied with Florida for #2 SEC school after Vandy. Would definitely have it on the same level as tOSU in my head; maybe the rankings say otherwise.
    My bad. I forget about Florida and UGA being ranked high. You wouldn't think it. It all gets lost in the haze of Bammer, Auburn, LSU and Clempson which all make Kewg look like Harvard.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

FireCohen said:

US News is about as good a ranking as Buzzfeed. If you look at scholarship and world changing research, Miami is a pale imitation of the true centers of civilization.

And I get your point that academis prowess is not generally appreciated in Football. And with NIL and the portal it will only get worse.

But I can still grieve while at the same time be relieved we are in the BIG 10. I guess this is my Kennedy getting shot moment. The world will never be quite the same.
    But it's not the only relevant measure. If that were the case, the very best and brightest students in the US and internationally wouldn't fall all over themselves to get into the Ivy League, MIT and many other schools that don't rate high on research spending. By this logic, the preference selection would favor Ohio State over MIT, and literally zero high achieving high school students would make that choice. Washington people have jumped onto this measure because Washington has ascended on this measure. It's fine to be proud of it, but don't tell me to send my 36 ACT kid to Arizona FS because it outspends Dartmouth and Rice on research by a healthy multiple. The students at the former are not in the same league as the students in the latter. The undergraduate is still the center of gravity at any university, and undergraduate selectivity and the things that drive it remain quite relevant. And traditionally, or by any point of relational logic, it's the undergraduate who is most linked to sports representing the school.

I also disagree with your assessment of US News.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,945
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

A solid 2 weeks by the PAC already have some of you rats jumping off the ship that you jumped on to get to the B1G and I’m here for it.

No one’s jumping. Disappointed in something with 100+ yrs of history that’s going down the shittier. A half way decent pac and people are wondering if this really needed to happen… it does but it’s a shame.
  • Options

whlinder said:

My bad. I forget about Florida and UGA being ranked high. You wouldn't think it. It all gets lost in the haze of Bammer, Auburn, LSU and Clempson which all make Kewg look like Harvard.
    Florida and Georgia have ascended US News because of rapid new increases in undergraduate selectivity that has to do more with demographics and policy than it does with organic change at either school. Nevertheless, both schools, and Florida in particular, have become hard to get into. Historically not the case. New normal? We shall see.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,924
    Founders Club

It's done. I'm not here for reviewing the 'why'. Of course I'll miss the P12. But I also miss my wife's ass as it existed when she was in her 20s. C'est la vie. Or whatever.

Pics of wife's ass when she was in her 20's?!
    We really pics of both to truly judge.
    kramerthatstrue.gif
    @creepycoug

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,449
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

Different sites create these rankings for different purposes. Some try to look at the best value (cost going in versus salary coming out) whereas others give different weights to different metrics.

To me, research dollars are the most important since there's a limited supply of dollars available and every university is competing to get what they can. The better universities are the ones awarded those grants and contracts.
  • Options

FireCohen said:

Different sites create these rankings for different purposes. Some try to look at the best value (cost going in versus salary coming out) whereas others give different weights to different metrics.

To me, research dollars are the most important since there's a limited supply of dollars available and every university is competing to get what they can. The better universities are the ones awarded those grants and contracts.
    So, the University of Kentucky and Cal Tech are about on par with one another. Colorado State and Univ. of South Florida are better universities than Princeton. The University of Utah is better than the University of Chicago.

I see.

I don't.
  • Options
    Hold your horses, UW is a degree mill run by the Gates Foundation and IHME.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,945
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Whothefuckareyou.gif

And TITTT
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

• Options
    StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 487
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club

FireCohen said:

So, the University of Kentucky and Cal Tech are about on par with one another. Colorado State and Univ. of South Florida are better universities than Princeton. The University of Utah is better than the University of Chicago.

I see.

I don't.
    Certainly US Views and World distort has some merit. It measures cultural relevance as much as quality. The international ones that rank UW highly are the ones based on how often an institutions scholarly work is used or incorporated into other scholarly work, as well as other objective measures. And large research universities do have an inherent advantage for that. But not always.

Chicago is a great example. Its scholarly output is above UW despite being much smaller. And also on point, they gave up football in the 1920’s because it didn’t fit into their view of what higher education was about.

But to be clear, my only point in all this is the PAC was special both in academics and in athletics. I think the lesson is they (we) are sometimes too fucking smart to figure out we are pushing on a pull door. Mesmerized by the smell of our own farts, as the Mormons have been known to say.
  • Options

FireCohen said:

I see.

I don't.
    Certainly US Views and World distort has some merit. It measures cultural relevance as much as quality. The international ones that rank UW highly are the ones based on how often an institutions scholarly work is used or incorporated into other scholarly work, as well as other objective measures. And large research universities do have an inherent advantage for that. But not always.

Chicago is a great example. Its scholarly output is above UW despite being much smaller. And also on point, they gave up football in the 1920’s because it didn’t fit into their view of what higher education was about.

But to be clear, my only point in all this is the PAC was special both in academics and in athletics. I think the lesson is they (we) are sometimes too fucking smart to figure out we are pushing on a pull door. Mesmerized by the smell of our own farts, as the Mormons have been known to say.
    Agree with that.
  • Options

FireCohen said:

Miami has historically been a bit harder to get into, so the avg. undergrad there was a bit smarter than the average UW undergrad. Numbers don't lie. I don't know that that's the case anymore, but historically it was. Of course, while Miami has a teaching hospital, law school (with a great tax program) and business school, UW has historically ranked higher in many/most departments. It's not a research behemoth by any stretch, but yes, it's a school full of kids who were very solid students in high school. That, to me anyway, is the most relevant measure.
    Tax program? Don’t you mean money laundering and tax evasion program?
    Aren't those the best kind?