Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Germie Bernard in the portal

Comments

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,958 Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

I'll go with it. What's the best home win since that 2000 team beat Miami? Don't say #3 USC in 2009, they ended up going 5-4 (good for 6th in the P12).

I mean how often do you beat the team that finishes the season ranked #2? That win is likely to hold up for a very long tim.
    Completely. I mean they didn’t lose again for 30+ games until the tOSU Clarett/Tressel fiesta bowel.

I would suggest that no football team has ever played in Husky stadium with as much talent on the roster as 2000 Miami. And that includes when the Seahawks played there.

(No idea how to do the research to back that up so I’ll go with it)
    Not really going to argue the point but some legendary USC teams have been to Husky Stadium

John McKay teams loaded with hall of fame guys

Either way
    Since you were there, you are right. I had to go look it up.

The U 2000 team still only has 1 HOFer: Ed Reed.
    Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson are the other two who seem likely to make the hall, but with the inflation of WR stats who knows when or if that will happen.
    Vince Wilfork was a freshman and he is the other who might make it. I mean someone from those Patriots teams besides Brady/Belichik has to. I don't think Jonathan Vilma did enough.

1957 and 1959 hosting USC, Trooj has Willie Wood and Ron Mix.

1979 hosting USC should have had Marcus Allen, Ronnie Lott, Anthony Munoz and Bruce Matthews on the team. That's the only year the 4 of them were on the same roster (going off their wikipedia career info). 1981 would have had Allen and Matthews, 1977 Munoz and Lott.
    I'd just look at the NFL careers. HOF requires some luck where longevity is concerned. But even with that, you have likely, and potentially three or four HOFmers in some combination of Johnson, Wayne and Wilfork going with Reed. Johnson and Wayne were both tippy top receivers in the NFL for a long time. Johnson played on shitty teams, and Wayne racked up numbers sharing the ball with Harrison and Edge. Wayne was a finalist last year and will eventually get in I think. In addition to his raw historically elite numbers, I think what will get him over the hump was how good he was in the post-season. I assume voters care about that. You have some bad luck with Sean Taylor, who didn't start until the 2001 season, who didn't get a chance to build what many expected to be a HOF career. A rare dude. Again, think Kenny Easley, who also should be in the HOF. Too much Advil bro.

Beyond HOF status, you have Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Jeremy Shockey, Winslow Jr., Vilma ... all top players in the NFL. Some careers were shortened but each of them was an impact player at the next level. Of the offensive linemen, McKinnie, Winston, Romberg and Vernon Carey all started on O lines in the league in their careers. McKinnie was somewhat of a disappointment but held a starting spot with Minnesota and then Baltimore for years. Forgetting about Dan Morgan, who was a fucking beast in the NFL, but his career was cut a bit short because of concussions. Gore doesn't show up on the roster until the next year.

The 79 USC team - which has to be brought up on a Husky board of course - is a good comparison. Hard to say absolutely one over the other. Like any team, they both also had a lot of other very good players who were destined to be bigger stars at the college level than they would in the NFL. But in all likelihood there were at least 2 Hofamers, likely 3 and maybe 4, and a bunch of other players who played at that level for at least a time during their careers ... gives you something to talk about.

Vilma - that year they made him sit out because of the bounty scandal hurt his career. He was a fucking animal at both levels. The hits in the Nebraska game are both meme-worthy.

Santana Miss took the Hall of Fame hit on a kick return early in a 2000 gayme in Seattle by which the vaunted Hurricaiaiaiaines never recovered.

I was there.

Also Kenny Dorsey is a fag who mom should have aborted him.

So was I. If a bit hit on a gimpy 5'8" wide receiver on kick off is HOF, you need a new HOF. Also, it's "from which," you illiterate whore. We speak ENGLISH in this country.

I'll help you out mochambo: THIS is a hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8aSGYIlVPw

We? do speak the engrish.

Santana Moss was the second coming of the messiah. Everybody said so, until that hit.

Uh, Santana Moss came into that game with a high ankle sprain and wasn't expected to play at all, which was publicly known. He was ballz for Miami in his career and had a 13-year career in the NFL, most of those as a starter and a guy who beat a lot of NFL teams deep over that time. That kind of player gets a lot of pub around these parts if he comes from the right school.

Moss was a tough motherfucker and at 5'9" (stand corrected) and a buck something took way more than one big hit and always kept rolling. The ankle was the problem that day and the reason he caught one pass and was pulled.

Show me a straight on hit on a 220lb H back running clear with a full head of steam the force of which dislodges the ball and the kid's soul. That's a hit worth bragging about 23 years later bub. Do better or go make me a sammich.
    You just made my case for me as it relates to his prestige and that game. TYFYS

Back in the day I read every character possible as it relates to #MyDwags and don’t recall this high ankle sprain story. At all.

All that said, this is not a hill I care enough to die on. With the lone exception that the hit in question turned the tide of the gayme and the rest is history.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,966
    edited December 2022
    pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

I'll go with it. What's the best home win since that 2000 team beat Miami? Don't say #3 USC in 2009, they ended up going 5-4 (good for 6th in the P12).

I mean how often do you beat the team that finishes the season ranked #2? That win is likely to hold up for a very long tim.
    Completely. I mean they didn’t lose again for 30+ games until the tOSU Clarett/Tressel fiesta bowel.

I would suggest that no football team has ever played in Husky stadium with as much talent on the roster as 2000 Miami. And that includes when the Seahawks played there.

Not really going to argue the point but some legendary USC teams have been to Husky Stadium

Either way

Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson are the other two who seem likely to make the hall, but with the inflation of WR stats who knows when or if that will happen.
    Vince Wilfork was a freshman and he is the other who might make it. I mean someone from those Patriots teams besides Brady/Belichik has to. I don't think Jonathan Vilma did enough.

1979 hosting USC should have had Marcus Allen, Ronnie Lott, Anthony Munoz and Bruce Matthews on the team. That's the only year the 4 of them were on the same roster (going off their wikipedia career info). 1981 would have had Allen and Matthews, 1977 Munoz and Lott.
    I'd just look at the NFL careers. HOF requires some luck where longevity is concerned. But even with that, you have likely, and potentially three or four HOFmers in some combination of Johnson, Wayne and Wilfork going with Reed. Johnson and Wayne were both tippy top receivers in the NFL for a long time. Johnson played on shitty teams, and Wayne racked up numbers sharing the ball with Harrison and Edge. Wayne was a finalist last year and will eventually get in I think. In addition to his raw historically elite numbers, I think what will get him over the hump was how good he was in the post-season. I assume voters care about that. You have some bad luck with Sean Taylor, who didn't start until the 2001 season, who didn't get a chance to build what many expected to be a HOF career. A rare dude. Again, think Kenny Easley, who also should be in the HOF. Too much Advil bro.

Beyond HOF status, you have Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Jeremy Shockey, Winslow Jr., Vilma ... all top players in the NFL. Some careers were shortened but each of them was an impact player at the next level. Of the offensive linemen, McKinnie, Winston, Romberg and Vernon Carey all started on O lines in the league in their careers. McKinnie was somewhat of a disappointment but held a starting spot with Minnesota and then Baltimore for years. Forgetting about Dan Morgan, who was a fucking beast in the NFL, but his career was cut a bit short because of concussions. Gore doesn't show up on the roster until the next year.

The 79 USC team - which has to be brought up on a Husky board of course - is a good comparison. Hard to say absolutely one over the other. Like any team, they both also had a lot of other very good players who were destined to be bigger stars at the college level than they would in the NFL. But in all likelihood there were at least 2 Hofamers, likely 3 and maybe 4, and a bunch of other players who played at that level for at least a time during their careers ... gives you something to talk about.

Vilma - that year they made him sit out because of the bounty scandal hurt his career. He was a fucking animal at both levels. The hits in the Nebraska game are both meme-worthy.

Santana Miss took the Hall of Fame hit on a kick return early in a 2000 gayme in Seattle by which the vaunted Hurricaiaiaiaines never recovered.

I was there.

So was I. If a bit hit on a gimpy 5'8" wide receiver on kick off is HOF, you need a new HOF. Also, it's "from which," you illiterate whore. We speak ENGLISH in this country.

Santana Moss was the second coming of the messiah. Everybody said so, until that hit.

Uh, Santana Moss came into that game with a high ankle sprain and wasn't expected to play at all, which was publicly known. He was ballz for Miami in his career and had a 13-year career in the NFL, most of those as a starter and a guy who beat a lot of NFL teams deep over that time. That kind of player gets a lot of pub around these parts if he comes from the right school.

Moss was a tough motherfucker and at 5'9" (stand corrected) and a buck something took way more than one big hit and always kept rolling. The ankle was the problem that day and the reason he caught one pass and was pulled.

Show me a straight on hit on a 220lb H back running clear with a full head of steam the force of which dislodges the ball and the kid's soul. That's a hit worth bragging about 23 years later bub. Do better or go make me a sammich.

Back in the day I read every character possible as it relates to #MyDwags and don’t recall this high ankle sprain story. At all.

All that said, this is not a hill I care enough to die on. With the lone exception that the hit in question turned the tide of the gayme and the rest is history.

Because you don't want to. Week before against McNeese State. It nagged him all season that year. I love you man, but ...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2001-jan-01-sp-7123-story.html

In the Hurricanes’ only loss of 2000, a 34-29 defeat to Washington on Sept. 9, Moss, limited by a sprained right ankle, handled the ball only five times. One reception for seven yards, three punt returns for 40 yards . . . and one fumbled punt, recovered by Washington and converted into a Husky touchdown.

Moss was a track guy whose game was predicated on acceleration and hard cuts. He wasn't knocked out of the game or psychologically impaired because of one hit. At his size he took many, and had he been that soft he wouldn't have played 13 years in the NFL. I'm sorry. I was there too and those aren't the facts.

Just so we're clear, you are peacocking a return hit on this guy:

I could've knocked him off his feet myself back then given a clean shot.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,559 Founders Club

pawz said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Either way

I was there.

Sneaky Seinfeld reference
    Besides, didn't @whlinder 's video of a Husky to a Hurricane connection warm your heart just a little? It's Christmas for Christ's sake.

pawz said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Either way

I was there.

I was waiting for somebody.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,498 Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Here he is in action

About at the same place where the Santana Moss grease spot was. #Krambrink
    I thought Krambrink had a shot to be someone after the Moss hit. You know, players make plays. Unfortunately he never made a play again. Hell of a way to be remembered though.
    3:15 mark if you wish to see it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MM0S9twpt4
    That defense was filthy...
    Nah that defense was okay. Just look filthy because of the jerseys.
    Agree that overall it was above average.

Pharms and Akbar wanted to hit people tho
    Secondary was pretty good. Lowe akbar williams vonture and our own @DerekJohnson. They didn’t play particularly well after williams was injured but they were solid. Their interior d line was weak if I remember.
    Many people here have really forgotten how fucking good Anthony Vontoure was. Hard kid to manage, but when you could get him on the field, he was balls. Great combo of physicality and cover ability at corner.
    I love that he was drinking Old English 40’s in the dorm room and JK Scott was shook.
    I don't remember if I included this in The Dawgs of War, but Derrell Daniels told me that they'd be sitting in the dorms, and Vontoure would suddenly lean forward and go into a complete handstand in the middle of the room, like a gymnast or whatever.
    And for all the bad pub he's received over the years, he was actually a pretty good kid considering what he was dealing with. I think if Rick couldn't make it work nobody could. James probably would have run him fairly early in his Husky career.

The way he died still leaves a mark. I don't mean this to be anti-cop, but dying in police custody with the mental issues he had, you have to wonder wtf happened. I've heard or read stories of asphyxiation. That is no way to go.
    Psychosis, cocaine, hallucigenics, and cops is a really bad combo
    As I recall, he was sleeping in a park and not bothering anybody. I'm just wondering out loud here ... if that is the setting and you confront the kid and he gets agitated and he's clearly not right and you're struggling to get him under control, isn't there a better way to handle it than the choke holds or having three dudes or whatever hold him down with brute force? Like maybe a taser or something? If he hasn't hurt or threatened anybody and isn't waiving a gun around or something like that, might it be a better policy to let him go? Then the cops can gather themselves and meet him down the road when they're better prepared to deal with him. Maybe they find him again when he hasn't tried to self-medicate and the situation is more manageable.

He could be alive today and functioning just fine if properly medicated. I know a few people with mood disorders, and two of them are pretty severe. It's no picnic, but they are functioning and living their lives.
    I read an article on him a few days back when his name got brought up. If I remember correctly, he was having a violent psychotic episode and his roommates in Sacramento called the cops on him.

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Either way

I was there.

Because you don't want to. Week before against McNeese State. It nagged him all season that year. I love you man, but ...

In the Hurricanes’ only loss of 2000, a 34-29 defeat to Washington on Sept. 9, Moss, limited by a sprained right ankle, handled the ball only five times. One reception for seven yards, three punt returns for 40 yards . . . and one fumbled punt, recovered by Washington and converted into a Husky touchdown.

Moss was a track guy whose game was predicated on acceleration and hard cuts. He wasn't knocked out of the game or psychologically impaired because of one hit. At his size he took many, and had he been that soft he wouldn't have played 13 years in the NFL. I'm sorry. I was there too and those aren't the facts.

Los Angeles Tims was not on my radar at the tim.

Your efforts to put him down when he was a Heisman candidate is quite sad actually. The Huskie special teams defense deserved credit that day.

• EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,135
    edited December 2022

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Either way

I was there.

Thanks, Creeep, I guess. I was hoping the vaunted Candy (ass) Canes (and their fans) didn't need excuses for horrific performances back when they were good but I guess that is just not the case. The one thing that I can clearly say that I know is that I know Britain Covey and (ncaa player) Santana Moss is no Britain Covey (who never, ever, ever needed an excuse).

My thoughts are that his pro career is absolutely unrelated to his ncaa career. Similar to every other ncaa player that we discuss. We are not discussing the next level.

Sometimes, you talk just to read what you post.

You can do A LOT better.

• JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,559 Founders Club

pawz said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Either way

I was there.

I was waiting for somebody.
    Mrs. Dangerously calls me that all the time
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,417 Founders Club

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Here he is in action

About at the same place where the Santana Moss grease spot was. #Krambrink
    I thought Krambrink had a shot to be someone after the Moss hit. You know, players make plays. Unfortunately he never made a play again. Hell of a way to be remembered though.
    3:15 mark if you wish to see it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MM0S9twpt4
    That defense was filthy...
    Nah that defense was okay. Just look filthy because of the jerseys.
    Agree that overall it was above average.

Pharms and Akbar wanted to hit people tho
    Secondary was pretty good. Lowe akbar williams vonture and our own @DerekJohnson. They didn’t play particularly well after williams was injured but they were solid. Their interior d line was weak if I remember.
    Many people here have really forgotten how fucking good Anthony Vontoure was. Hard kid to manage, but when you could get him on the field, he was balls. Great combo of physicality and cover ability at corner.
    I love that he was drinking Old English 40’s in the dorm room and JK Scott was shook.
    I don't remember if I included this in The Dawgs of War, but Derrell Daniels told me that they'd be sitting in the dorms, and Vontoure would suddenly lean forward and go into a complete handstand in the middle of the room, like a gymnast or whatever.
    And for all the bad pub he's received over the years, he was actually a pretty good kid considering what he was dealing with. I think if Rick couldn't make it work nobody could. James probably would have run him fairly early in his Husky career.

The way he died still leaves a mark. I don't mean this to be anti-cop, but dying in police custody with the mental issues he had, you have to wonder wtf happened. I've heard or read stories of asphyxiation. That is no way to go.
    I'm sure it was an awful, awful situation
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,417 Founders Club

pawz said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Either way

I was there.

Go to the 3:10 mark, Citizen Cane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyunngXlfeM&t=97s

pawz said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Either way

I was there.

Go to the 3:10 mark, Citizen Cane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyunngXlfeM&t=97s
    YBE

Savory Hall would shudder at that 3:10.