Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

a reflection on sark

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,616 Founders Club

I think part of the appeal to younger coaches was that Sark partied and took them to a lot of fun stuff. Recruiting trips were fun and excuses to party.

Tosh was working for Tedford. Wilcox had mostly worked for Pete and probably knew it was a sinking ship at Tennessee. Sirmon was going to go wherever Wilcox went.

I wish I could have gone to one of Sark’s Patron parties. He’s a douche canoe in the extreme but who doesn’t love free @Tequilla shooters ?
    I knew Nick Holt’s brother in law on a friendly level. I was wearing a UW coat walking out of a gas station and after commenting on coat and asking where I was from, he told me that he was Holt’s wife’s brother. I was drunk, shot the shit with him for a bit, and he was impressed with my knowledge of his brother in law and the UW program in general. He invited me to watch a game at his house. I also went to the bar with him once.

He told me the post game parties after victories were incredible. He went in being skeptical about Sark (he was a very blue collar guy), but had nothing but good things to say about him. He said anything you could want was there and Sark was very generous. This was in 2010 so I didn’t hate Sark yet. I didn’t hate Holt either because at the end of 2010, the defense was playing pretty good.
    But there’s booze in the blender. And soon it will render that frozen concoction that helps us doogs hold on.
    Wasting away in Sarkisianville?

• dtddtd Member Posts: 4,540 Standard Supporter
    edited September 2021

The reason Sark hit a home run with those guys is he had no previous affiliation to any of them. Most coaches simply hire their buddies or who they knew which is why Holt was hired in the first place and Holt hired a bunch of guys that worked at Idaho with him.

In Chuck Knox's autobiography (RIP), he talked about how if you see him on the sidelines, he is surrounded by the same old familiar faces year after year. Some of them tracing all the way back to his Juniata days in Pennsylvania. He said you surround yourself with people you trust and it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.
    This is the same shit as Oregon keeping the same coaches for 30 years. It's only good if it's good. Being rigid about it gets you fucking Helf and Gilby. It's only better the devil you know if it's fucking better.

edit: and obviously Chuck Knox was good at it.
    LawDawg1 said:

Agreed. That got Cal fans in an uproar. Now they just expect it since they went radio silent when Oregon took their DC.

Difference kinda being that DeRuyter didn't get a text in Shaq's living room and start recruiting him to UW while wearing a CAL hat.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,616 Founders Club
    dtd said:

The reason Sark hit a home run with those guys is he had no previous affiliation to any of them. Most coaches simply hire their buddies or who they knew which is why Holt was hired in the first place and Holt hired a bunch of guys that worked at Idaho with him.

In Chuck Knox's autobiography (RIP), he talked about how if you see him on the sidelines, he is surrounded by the same old familiar faces year after year. Some of them tracing all the way back to his Juniata days in Pennsylvania. He said you surround yourself with people you trust and it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.
    This is the same shit as Oregon keeping the same coaches for 30 years. It's only good if it's good. Being rigid about it gets you fucking Helf and Gilby. It's only better the devil you know if it's fucking better.
    For the record I'm not saying I fully agree with it. But Roadies'c comments reminded me of the quote.

dtd said:

For the record I'm not saying I fully agree with it. But Roadies'c comments reminded me of the quote.
    Word, wasn't saying otherwise. Go to bed.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,363 Founders Club
    edited September 2021

I think part of the appeal to younger coaches was that Sark partied and took them to a lot of fun stuff. Recruiting trips were fun and excuses to party.

Tosh was working for Tedford. Wilcox had mostly worked for Pete and probably knew it was a sinking ship at Tennessee. Sirmon was going to go wherever Wilcox went.

I wish I could have gone to one of Sark’s Patron parties. He’s a douche canoe in the extreme but who doesn’t love free @Tequilla shooters ?
    I knew Nick Holt’s brother in law on a friendly level. I was wearing a UW coat walking out of a gas station and after commenting on coat and asking where I was from, he told me that he was Holt’s wife’s brother. I was drunk, shot the shit with him for a bit, and he was impressed with my knowledge of his brother in law and the UW program in general. He invited me to watch a game at his house. I also went to the bar with him once.

He told me the post game parties after victories were incredible. He went in being skeptical about Sark (he was a very blue collar guy), but had nothing but good things to say about him. He said anything you could want was there and Sark was very generous. This was in 2010 so I didn’t hate Sark yet. I didn’t hate Holt either because at the end of 2010, the defense was playing pretty good.
    This post probably ranks on the Hardcore Husky Cool Story Bruh Mount Rushmore.
    Not a big deal really. Guy probably just had a thing for Asians.

@Meek (RIP)
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,041 Founders Club

But there’s booze in the blender. And soon it will render that frozen concoction that helps us doogs hold on.
    I’ll need to hear this in a singing pod.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,854 Swaye's Wigwam

Anything? Skinny hookers and blow?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    dtd said:

edit: and obviously Chuck Knox was good at it.
    It's a great strategy if you're capable of coaching up your coaches and they continue to grow with you.

It's a horrible strategy if you're just good at throwing post game patron parties that impress your DC's blue collar brother-in-law.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,609

Enjoy stopping by Dawgman to revisit the many great things Sark and Holt "accomplished" at UW

Great to see HardcoreHusky® message board enthusiastically providing the same service.

Go Dawgs!

His demons are behind him. This is a grand slam hire.
    Sincerely,
    Kim
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,097 Founders Club

Isn't Armenia one of the shit hole countries?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Turkey just needs more tim to get it's owen rule #1 back in there.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,097 Founders Club
    dnc said:

Mods?
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,799
    dnc said:

careful……..
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Greatest coaching move ever? You are conveinantly ignoring Jimmy poaching the Jacksonville Jaguars RB coach… now look at them….
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,612 Swaye's Wigwam
    I wouldn't have a problem with Sark if he would've at least finished the job against Stanford and not shit his fucking pants against UCLA and ASU who were there to be had. And won whatever upgraded bowl game he got. FTG