Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

a reflection on sark

Cal week and watching Shaq got me reminiscing. Yeah Sark was a lazy drunk but him taking Tosh from Cal was the greatest and ballsiest move a washington coach has made in 30 years.

Comments

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,795
    Agreed. That got Cal fans in an uproar. Now they just expect it since they went radio silent when Oregon took their DC.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,624 Swaye's Wigwam
    Part of the all sizzle no steak Sark MO
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,624 Swaye's Wigwam

Part of the all sizzle no steak Sark MO

Tosh was steak. He did exactly what he was supposed to do.
    Fair. It bumped sark from 7 wins to 8.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam

I think part of the appeal to younger coaches was that Sark partied and took them to a lot of fun stuff. Recruiting trips were fun and excuses to party.

Tosh was working for Tedford. Wilcox had mostly worked for Pete and probably knew it was a sinking ship at Tennessee. Sirmon was going to go wherever Wilcox went.

I remember Vols fans coming to doogman and saying that they were meh to mildly displeased on Wilcox, but really disappointed to see Sirmon go.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,368
    Peterman came in with a staff and a track record of success, even knocking off a couple blue bloods. As tim goes on, I think this is the way to go, instead of hiring within and cobbling together whoever is available at the time
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,363 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2021

The reason Sark hit a home run with those guys is he had no previous affiliation to any of them. Most coaches simply hire their buddies or who they knew which is why Holt was hired in the first place and Holt hired a bunch of guys that worked at Idaho with him.

This
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,616 Founders Club

The reason Sark hit a home run with those guys is he had no previous affiliation to any of them. Most coaches simply hire their buddies or who they knew which is why Holt was hired in the first place and Holt hired a bunch of guys that worked at Idaho with him.

In Chuck Knox's autobiography (RIP), he talked about how if you see him on the sidelines, he is surrounded by the same old familiar faces year after year. Some of them tracing all the way back to his Juniata days in Pennsylvania. He said you surround yourself with people you trust and it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.