Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

City of Long Beach forces Grocery Stores to boost employee pay by $4.00 and hour...

Comments

• SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942
    According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) 1.6 million workers, or 1.9% of all hourly paid, non-self-employed workers, earned wages at or below the federal minimum wage in 2019. That year, 82.3 million people were paid hourly rates, making up 58.1% of all wage and salary workers in the United States.

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,008 Standard Supporter
    Since the federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, in most states they require a higher minimum wage than the federal bottom. I did find this -

So, the Slobberer still got it wrong. More than half the people working are making over $19 and hour.

https://www.epi.org/publication/swa-wages-2019/#:~:text=The median wage in 2019,time, full-year worker.

The median hourly wage—the wage at which half the workforce is paid more and half the workforce is paid less—stands at $19.33 per hour. For a full-time, full-year worker, this would translate into about $40,000 per year.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,780 Founders Club
    SFGbob said:

I work in a place that has been compensating employees since last March. So my coworkers and I have been well taken care of since the start. This newly added extra pay resulted in my company taking away one of the two yearly raises. Doesn't really effect me as I'm capped out although I feel really bad for the people that are trying to claw their way up the ladder. This is a pretty big setback for some of them. Having public servants that have no idea how the scales of business work is retarded. As one arm goes up another goes down. The money doesn't come from thin air. It boggles my mind. My company is extremely solvent so we won't see contraction but I feel for people that may lose their jobs because of this "hero pay" when all of us grocery workers haven't missed a paycheck since the pandemic started. Seems misguided. Maybe these dopes should SJW for food service workers or small landlords. They've all been fucked especially hard. Two cents asked for, maybe a half cent given.

The grocery stores were already paying their employees more money due to Covid. The city just came along and mandated that they pay them even more.
    Not all of them. Many, and most of the big boys, dropped the hazard/hero/thank you pay last summer.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,780 Founders Club

Honest question - Are you in a Union and if so how much are your monthly dues and what do you think they get you?

I'd rather not answer that. I will say that I have worked for both and prefer a non union environment. The Unions I have been a part of over promise and woefully under deliver. It's a major racket.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959

Since the federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, in most states they require a higher minimum wage than the federal bottom. I did find this -

So, the Slobberer still got it wrong. More than half the people working are making over $19 and hour.

https://www.epi.org/publication/swa-wages-2019/#:~:text=The median wage in 2019,time, full-year worker.

The median hourly wage—the wage at which half the workforce is paid more and half the workforce is paid less—stands at $19.33 per hour. For a full-time, full-year worker, this would translate into about $40,000 per year.

What part was wrong?
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,201 Swaye's Wigwam

This is why we need universal healthcare and a robust welfare system or UBI. It’s obvious those stores were struggling anyways and using this as a scapegoat is convenient. It’s sad that people lost their jobs but a business that can’t pay a living wage is a failure, no matter how desperately you want the rich to walk on your backs over that puddle.

It’s pathetic that you guys fall for this every single time. A corporation or billionaire whines about anything and you immediately drop to your knees and put their balls on your chin. And then you cry about globalism like you’re not the ones enabling them to be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want.

Why do the shittiest jobs have to pay a living wage? They are for teenagers and shit
    42% of the country makes less than $15 an hour.
    Any concession that $15 is a bullshit arbitrary number that carries different value depending on zip code?
    Bob_C said:

This is why we need universal healthcare and a robust welfare system or UBI. It’s obvious those stores were struggling anyways and using this as a scapegoat is convenient. It’s sad that people lost their jobs but a business that can’t pay a living wage is a failure, no matter how desperately you want the rich to walk on your backs over that puddle.

It’s pathetic that you guys fall for this every single time. A corporation or billionaire whines about anything and you immediately drop to your knees and put their balls on your chin. And then you cry about globalism like you’re not the ones enabling them to be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want.

Why do the shittiest jobs have to pay a living wage? They are for teenagers and shit
    Any concession that $15 is a bullshit arbitrary number that carries different value depending on zip code?
    Any concession that most of those zip codes are red? Poor and uneducated is just how you like em.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,201 Swaye's Wigwam
    Sure, likely true. You want to make them even poorer with federal policy.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,471 Founders Club

Bob_C said:

Any concession that most of those zip codes are red? Poor and uneducated is just how you like em.
    The policies you favor fuck the poor hard

And thats a fact beyond dispute
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

And?
    Bob_C said:

Totally. That’s why all the richest states are blue and the poorest states are red, our terrible economic policies that make people even poorer.

Bob_C said:

More or less factual than the election being stolen from Trump?

Bob_C said:

More or less factual than the election being stolen from Trump?
    Beyond dispute

I thought I was clear on that
    I’m disputing it.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844

Bob_C said:

Totally. That’s why all the richest states are blue and the poorest states are red, our terrible economic policies that make people even poorer.
    Our?

Kreist. If you live in a big city than everything is more expensive and wages are then, naturally higher. That’s where the min wage is already close to $15 an hour. And every big city outside of Texas is blue. The rest have been Governed by Democrats for decades. Tell me how these rich blue states have done anything to lift people out of poverty?

I’m disputing it.

Sorry

We're beyond that
    Kaepsknee said:

Bob_C said:

Our?

Kreist. If you live in a big city than everything is more expensive and wages are then, naturally higher. That’s where the min wage is already close to $15 an hour. And every big city outside of Texas is blue. The rest have been Governed by Democrats for decades. Tell me how these rich blue states have done anything to lift people out of poverty?
    What poverty? They’re all fat and have iPhones.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    It amazes me when people don’t understand how basic economics works
    All the money in the country is in blue states.

All the money in red states is in blue cities.

All those red counties that republicans love to point out during presidential elections equals 30% of this countries wealth. 2500 counties out of 3000.

This is the worlds lone super power, a couple years ago we had the greatest economy in history and it was all blue. You are the economic crumbs we wipe off on our pants.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986

Bob_C said:

Jeezus fucking Christ.

I am calling for genocide on this fucking half whit, or your drop the hammer on me.

Fuck you, you fucking fuck