Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

City of Long Beach forces Grocery Stores to boost employee pay by $4.00 and hour...

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

Apparently the term "subsidy" is new to you, @TheKobeStopper

Let’s get rid of farming subsidies and see how that 30% of America’s wealth in red counties holds up.
    OK I'm in. Most subsidies go to mega farm Biden donors anyway
    Convenient timing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/12/31/790261705/farmers-got-billions-from-taxpayers-in-2019-and-hardly-anyone-objected
    So not mega farm Biden donors.

The "trade war" with China, in which I was rooting for the US, did cause some damage and it was paid for

You didn't complain when Obama launched an ethanol boondoggle either. Funny how that works

Like I said, I agree with you, cut them out
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter

Biggest scam is ethanol. Both parties are in on the scam. Billions to Iowa and Midwest millionaire corn farmers.

There it is. Amazing so many Bidenrubes still can't see it.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    edited February 2021
    SFGbob said:

Let’s get rid of farming subsidies and see how that 30% of America’s wealth in red counties holds up.
    Convenient timing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/12/31/790261705/farmers-got-billions-from-taxpayers-in-2019-and-hardly-anyone-objected
    I object. You think Biden is going to end them? Btw, how much subsidies do potato farmers receive?
    I don’t know, some idiot wore a “make potato’s great again” hat to Trump signing a $16 billion farm aid package so he probably got something.
    https://thoughtco.com/us-farm-subsidies-3325162

In 1930, according to the USDA Census of Agriculture Historical Archive, nearly 25% of the population—roughly 30,000,000 people—lived on the nation's nearly 6.5 million farms and ranches. The original intent of U.S. farm subsidies was to provide economic stability to farmers during the Great Depression and ensure a steady domestic food supply for Americans.

Me - I laughed because once a government program is in it is damn near impossible to get out

However, by 2017, the number of people living on farms had dwindled to about 3.4 million and the number of farms just over two million. These data suggest it's more difficult than ever to make a living farming—hence the need for subsidies, according to proponents.

The U.S. government presently pays about $25 billion in cash annually to farmers and owners of farmland. Congress typically legislates the number of farm subsidies through five-year farm bills. The Agricultural Act of 2014 (the Act), also known as the 2014 Farm Bill, was signed by President Obama on February 7, 2014.

Like its predecessors, the 2014 farm bill was derided as bloated pork-barrel politics by a plethora of Congress members, both liberals, and conservatives, who hail from non-farming communities and states. However, the powerful farm industry lobby and members of Congress from agriculture-heavy states won out.

Farm subsidies don't benefit all farms equally. According to the Cato Institute, farmers of corn, soybeans, and wheat receive more than 70% of farm subsidies. These are also usually the largest farms.

While the general public may believe that the majority of subsidies go to helping small family operations, the primary beneficiaries are instead the largest producers of certain commodities:

"Despite the rhetoric of 'preserving the family farm,' the vast majority of farmers do not benefit from federal farm subsidy programs and most of the subsidies go to the largest and most financially secure farm operations. Small commodity farmers qualify for a mere pittance, while producers of meat, fruits, and vegetables are almost completely left out of the subsidy game."

Me - the subsidies go to export crops that are subject to tariffs and trade wars and stuff.

According to the Environmental Working Group, from 1995 through 2016, reports the seven states received the majority of subsidies, nearly 45% of all benefits paid to farmers. Those states and their respective shares of total U.S. farm subsidies were:

Texas - 9.6%
    Iowa - 8.4%
    Illinois - 6.9%
    Minnesota - 5.8%
    Nebraska - 5.7%
    Kansas - 5.5%
    North Dakota - 5.3%

Me - I winged it on the Biden donor smack and got busted. But now you have the rest of the story

• SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,942

SFGbob said:

Convenient timing.

I object. You think Biden is going to end them? Btw, how much subsidies do potato farmers receive?
    I don’t know, some idiot wore a “make potato’s great again” to Trump signing a $16 billion farm aid package so he probably got something.
    Bzzzzt, wrong. Potatoes, like most crops receive no Federal subsidies. So they "probably" got nothing. Funny how a guy with such superior education was ignorant of that fact. Now maybe you can take a stab at the question you're dodging like a Kunt.
    Many industries are struggling during this pandemic, particularly the agricultural supply chain. In order to help, Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue announced that 470 million dollars would be used to purchase a wide variety of products in separate markets. The money would assist in supporting struggling agricultural producers due to the disruption of the markets due to the Coronavirus.

Fifty million dollars will be designated towards the potato industry, especially since they have been losing a great deal of their income. The aid will assist in getting potatoes back out onto the food-service pipeline.

ITS A PANDEMIC EVERYONE GETS PAID
    edited February 2021
    Covid Aid is not a Crop subsidy and if you're going to start counting that as a federal subsidy then every fucking business in the country received a federal "subsidy."

Dumb as dog shit and twice as dishonest. Why are you such a Kunt that you can't answer the question about Poverty Kobe?

Come on, I'm educationally "subnormal" you should be able to wipe the floor with me.
    So they do take federal money?

Just like every other business in the country did. You really want to die on this disingenuous hill?

People are dying of covid and you want to argue this?

Only old people with pre existing conditions. Our death panels have deemed their deaths as acceptable.

Only old people with pre existing conditions. Our death panels have deemed their deaths as acceptable.
    Kobe taps out.

More young women for me
    edited February 2021
    SFGbob said:

Just like every other business in the country did. You really want to die on this disingenuous hill?
    I’m not dying on anything. I don’t even know why we’re talking about potato’s. I just thought this was funny.

SFGbob said:

I’m not dying on anything. I don’t even know why we’re talking about potato’s. I just thought this was funny.
    We're talking about potatoes because you're a fucking moron who thinks that all Red agricultural counties receive crop subsides.
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

We're talking about potatoes because you're a fucking moron who thinks that all Red agricultural counties receive crop subsides.
    Strawman.

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Strawman.
    Yeah, strawman.

A liar and a moron, nice work Kobe.
    Saying removing farming subsidies would hurt wealth in red counties isn’t the same as saying all red agricultural counties receive crop subsidies. Hence, strawman.

Saying removing farming subsidies would hurt wealth in red counties isn’t the same as saying all red agricultural counties receive crop subsidies. Hence, strawman.

Saying that removing farming subsidies would impact the wealth of "red counties" when the overwhelming majority of all red counties don't receive a dime in Federal Crop subsidies just shows you to be an ignorant fool with a big mouth. Denying you were claiming this just show that you're a liar. And of course you still are dodging the question about poverty you were asked so you can add coward to the list.