Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Promote Gregory to DC?

Comments

• Options
    ATLDawgATLDawg Member Posts: 89
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Cato current evaluation is simmilar to KB early when he came in luckily there was solid local talent at his position and he signed them but you don't deserve extra credit for that. KB has been exposed sinse as a terrible recruiter who has been unable to recruit any out of state talent. At this point we suck and obviously don't want to spend money and essentially are running a low power 5 model of hiring interns and internal promotions. At this point LIPO..
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Hot take. Gregory is going to be pretty much identical to Coach K as DC. If you liked Coach K, you should be okay with this move. It takes Gregory off the recruiting trail somewhat, which is a positive. I will accept debates about hiring a QC guy as DL coach, but that has worked out pretty good for Cato. I'm in LIPO mode.

And what evidence is there that Cato's worth a damn other than he finishes in the Top 3 often?
    Other than the fact that we have one of the best TE rooms in the country? Give Paopao some credit, but give Cato credit too.
    Best TE room? We have Cade for one more year and a bunch of unproven guys. The only big recruiting win Cato's gotten turned out to be a methhead.
    He's landed Quentin Moore, Chance Bogan, kept Cade for another year, has shown promise and effort on the recruiting trail, and can clearly coach. I'd give him a solid grade for the 9 months he's been TE coach.
    Cade stayed because he didn't have enough film on him to get a high enough pick this year to make it worth the while ... coming back and he'll very likely be an easy Top 2 round guy. It makes sense.

Moore was a local kid that while I am optimistic on it being a good get we need to be realistic at what we're doing here. Moore is hopefully a high end guy that is getting brought in to fill gaps in recruiting that effectively didn't pan out for a few years. He wasn't the highest TE on the board last year for us and we missed on the higher targets.

Bogan looks like he's a nice prospect and I look forward to seeing his development. Keeping local players home is a sign of competence vs being a disaster. For me to view a coach as being pretty good or better, you need to start winning recruiting battles against programs that are above your weight class and/or kids from out of the area that you're competing against at least relatively peer schools. Scott Huff is worth a damn. Cato ain't even close to that level at this point.
    If you would have been pissed if Moore and Bogan went elsewhere, which you surely would have, you have to give Cato credit for getting them. And I know its meaningless, but being in a battle vs. Georgia for Bowers is promising. And he did get Yary, despite the issues. Yes, he hasn't proven to be a great coach yet, but I'm saying he's laying a pretty good foundation for a guy that has been on the job for only 9 months. I see promise.
    In golf terms, I see getting Moore and Bogan as playing a Par 4, hitting your drive down the middle, playing to the fat of the green leaving yourself a 30 foot birdie putt, and hitting a good lag putt to tap in distance. It’s a solid result but not anything that you get a ton of credit for. 3 putting would be akin to losing them. Bowers is playing a Par 5 where you need to make eagle, hit a strong drive to give yourself a chance, but you need to hit a perfect 3 wood on the edge of your number to have any chance ... being in a battle just means that you hit the greenside bunker instead of the water hazard fronting the green or the OB to the left.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,267
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Gregory isn't necessarily the part that bugs me. Hes probably going to be good as DC. It's just the general lack of signs that UW is making big boy moves. He has quickly lowered the look of the program to a lower tier than it is. When the effects of his shit recruiting catch up the reality will match this perception and that is somewhere south of Sarkisian levels.

Unless...ah fuck I dont see any way this surprises me.

Somewhere south of seven wins? That sounds bad.
    I'm talking about more than wins Ern. The south of seven wins territory is just the inevitable finale. The public image of Lake's program has already sunk there and that's fucking ridiculous given what Lake was handed. Wins will soon follow.
    Did we not just win the north? Let's give Jimmy a full season, shall we?
    Fuck that stupid north title. Thats the most ridiculous thing to claim that I've ever heard of in college football. If you feel like your team just won anything of note then you're the only one here who does. That I would bet on.

75% of his job is the offseason, and @GrandpaSankey can see that he sucks at it. His recruiting and staff management doesn't need a season for any objective in server to see that.
    I make judgements based on what happens on the field. Outlandish, I know. Stanford was ugly, but we still should have had a chance to play for the title. Your tune might be different had we won it. In this asterisk of a season, we went 3-1. Hard to make judgements yet. I'm in show-me mode. I'm giving Jimmy the chance to sink or swim on the field. LIPO.
    Doog on then. Just don't expect anyone to join you.
    I'm super broken up about this.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Gregory isn't necessarily the part that bugs me. Hes probably going to be good as DC. It's just the general lack of signs that UW is making big boy moves. He has quickly lowered the look of the program to a lower tier than it is. When the effects of his shit recruiting catch up the reality will match this perception and that is somewhere south of Sarkisian levels.

I'm talking about more than wins Ern. The south of seven wins territory is just the inevitable finale. The public image of Lake's program has already sunk there and that's fucking ridiculous given what Lake was handed. Wins will soon follow.
    Fuck that stupid north title. Thats the most ridiculous thing to claim that I've ever heard of in college football. If you feel like your team just won anything of note then you're the only one here who does. That I would bet on.

75% of his job is the offseason, and @GrandpaSankey can see that he sucks at it. His recruiting and staff management doesn't need a season for any objective in server to see that.
    I make judgements based on what happens on the field. Outlandish, I know. Stanford was ugly, but we still should have had a chance to play for the title. Your tune might be different had we won it. In this asterisk of a season, we went 3-1. Hard to make judgements yet. I'm in show-me mode. I'm giving Jimmy the chance to sink or swim on the field. LIPO.

Your posting makes it clear that you care. You want someone here to side with you.

I'm always one of the last to give up on coaches and players. I thought Lake was the right hire. I didn't pile on or even comment when he started making needle dick moves out of the gate. I've seen enough though. History is going to side with the half brains on this one. It's painfully obvious.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Your posting makes it clear that you care. You want someone here to side with you.

I'm always one of the last to give up on coaches and players. I thought Lake was the right hire. I didn't pile on or even comment when he started making needle dick moves out of the gate. I've seen enough though. History is going to side with the half brains on this one. It's painfully obvious.
    There's several rational posters that have said some version of LIPO. @RaceBannon is letting Jimmy cook. So am I. Quit bein so damn dramatic. It's not a good look.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021
    Gladstone said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

You've been screeching through teary eyes about this, to the amusement and mockery of literally everyone else here. Don't try and play cool now, kiddo.

edit: lol @ trying to tie yourself to race foh
    Go through my posts, Gladstone. Not surprised that you're living in an alternate reality.

It's like its abnormal to not be jumping off a bridge after every move.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

I roll with Big Ern

You get props for using a gif from The Room, my favorite movie of all time.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Hot take. Gregory is going to be pretty much identical to Coach K as DC. If you liked Coach K, you should be okay with this move. It takes Gregory off the recruiting trail somewhat, which is a positive. I will accept debates about hiring a QC guy as DL coach, but that has worked out pretty good for Cato. I'm in LIPO mode.

And what evidence is there that Cato's worth a damn other than he finishes in the Top 3 often?
    Other than the fact that we have one of the best TE rooms in the country? Give Paopao some credit, but give Cato credit too.
    Best TE room? We have Cade for one more year and a bunch of unproven guys. The only big recruiting win Cato's gotten turned out to be a methhead.
    He's landed Quentin Moore, Chance Bogan, kept Cade for another year, has shown promise and effort on the recruiting trail, and can clearly coach. I'd give him a solid grade for the 9 months he's been TE coach.
    Cade stayed because he didn't have enough film on him to get a high enough pick this year to make it worth the while ... coming back and he'll very likely be an easy Top 2 round guy. It makes sense.

Moore was a local kid that while I am optimistic on it being a good get we need to be realistic at what we're doing here. Moore is hopefully a high end guy that is getting brought in to fill gaps in recruiting that effectively didn't pan out for a few years. He wasn't the highest TE on the board last year for us and we missed on the higher targets.

Bogan looks like he's a nice prospect and I look forward to seeing his development. Keeping local players home is a sign of competence vs being a disaster. For me to view a coach as being pretty good or better, you need to start winning recruiting battles against programs that are above your weight class and/or kids from out of the area that you're competing against at least relatively peer schools. Scott Huff is worth a damn. Cato ain't even close to that level at this point.
    If you would have been pissed if Moore and Bogan went elsewhere, which you surely would have, you have to give Cato credit for getting them. And I know its meaningless, but being in a battle vs. Georgia for Bowers is promising. And he did get Yary, despite the issues. Yes, he hasn't proven to be a great coach yet, but I'm saying he's laying a pretty good foundation for a guy that has been on the job for only 9 months. I see promise.
    I'm mostly on your side on this one (I mean, tight end coach may be the least important thing if football, so who really gives a fuck anyway) in that I have no problem with Cato and think he seems to be doing a decent job. That being said, he didn't get Yary. USC got Yary, realized he's a crackhead, booted him, and then Cato picked up the sloppy seconds. Yary is a negative mark on Cato's record to me. Should have stayed away from those damaged goods.
    Fair, but it does show a willingness to go after some bad dudes. Haven't we been crying for bad dudes for years? Jimmy must have given the green light to go after Yary.
    If Yary’s issues were well known (and it sounds like they were) then he shouldn’t have been brought in

This “we need bad dudes” narrative is fucking idiotic
    Meth and heroine aren’t THAT addictive...
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,519
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I care less about this than the JonDon shit.

That was an obviously questionable hire, and then they made him the highest paid assistant.

Gregory it's clear the other coaches think he's good at development/xs and os. 2019 he was awful, but he's turned a midget skateboarder into an all american and he found his guy in eddie. McDonald it sounded like was going to overtake Sirmon in a full season.

And the coordinator has the least burden to recruit.

The two db coaches and their production and Malloe taking a year off are more unsettling.

Even huff, for his recruiting, should have his unit road grading more than they are.
  • Options
    NeverLosetoWSUNeverLosetoWSU Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Why are you guys arguing about a TE coach, we have more pressing matters. So Gregory is going to be calling defensive plays? That Michigan game is going to be the biggest overreaction no matter what happens. People are going to be calling for his head/talking shit about how genius James Oceans is. Can't wait. See you fuckers at the Big House
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    What a loser Lake is. He's gone from thinking Kellen Moore would be his OC to hiring JonDon, losing EE, Emeka, and Troy, to losing Kwat, and now promoting Gregory.

Has any HC had a shittier off the field year? Seriously. From what was on the table a year ago to this shit pile...

Elite players don't want to play for him, and good coaches don't want to coach for him.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,519
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2021

What a loser Lake is. He's gone from thinking Kellen Moore would be his OC to hiring JonDon, losing EE, Emeka, and Troy, to losing Kwat, and now promoting Gregory.

Has any HC had a shittier off the field year? Seriously. From what was on the table a year ago to this shit pile...

Elite players don't want to play for him, and good coaches don't want to coach for him.

Lake wanted Moore? You sure that wasn't Pete trying to "help" and "counsel" UW after that embarrassment of a season?

Since 2013: our offense got softer. Our recruiting targets got more finesse. Our OC got more subservient/shittier.

Lake took a blow torch to that immediately after the Vegas bowl.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    FWIW (nothing, I know), I'm with Big Ern. We at least looked okay this past year (?). We won the North. We finished with the best record. I'm not going to act like it's the crystal football or anything, but it's half decent. I'm very pessimistic about JonDon bc even if you accept he wanted to protect Morris by running the ball, our run schemes were fucking stupid, as in "I haven't really read up on anything new relating to offensive football in 15 years" stupid. Like thinking Leonard Fournette is a good feature back in today's football stupid. You can run the ball w/o getting into jumbo/tight formations. In fact, if you've followed, you know, football, in the past 5 years, you'd know you can generally run the ball *better* that way.

And spare me the myopic provincialism. We're the only one who knows who Otton is pretty much, and Puka caught all of 9 passes. Both look promising but have barely done shit. Let's see a year's production before we start blowing each other, ok?

Back to the optimism. We looked okay even with a guy at QB whose ceiling is decent college QB. Our OL returns, our DL returns, our back end returns. Fuck Cato, I want to see Adams do, oh I don't know, one fucking thing right. Land somebody and then get them to perform. We do that, we should be okay next year. End of the day, our defense probably stays the same and our recruiting probably got better (assuming Rowan is young and fiery).
  • Options
    Founders Club

hardhat said:
    100% bullshit. Names are always leaked during the interview process as agents try to get their guys free pub.
    Jimmy also said "money was no object" in making the right hire. If that's the case, then why has Jen Cohen been sending out letters to donators pleading with them to save athletics at UW?

When I saw Jimmy being interviewed after the Utah win, I felt invigorated by the happiness and passion of the moment.

But I see shit like this and I think he's a bullshit artist.
    How many coaches AREN'T bullshit artists? Chris P, maybe.