Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2019 Stanford

HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
So I got to thinking about this over the weekend and how this offense get some calling it boring while I think it was fantastic.

Do you think last year’s Stanford game was the tipping point for Jimmy lake? They had absolutely no business winning that game and yet ROTA all over UW with guys they just pulled out of a chem lab to try and block. Jimmy had no answers. Block forward/run forward....let’s see if you can stop it.

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Yes I think Lake is making the classic mistake of "what is hardest for me to defend against = what kind of offense we need" when what he doesn't realize is that he's not building an offense to beat his defense, he's building an offense to beat Pac12 defenses and Pac12 defenses aren't near as good as defending the pass as his defense.

TL;DR: *Gurgle*

THIS.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think for the first game 1) of the year that's been delayed 3 times 2) of Jimmy's hc career 3) game for the qb, they just wanted a win without weird cal storm stuff happening.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Bread said:

Jimmy is a little smarter then you idiots. They aren't rolling out a power run scheme every week. He hates offenses that target his defenses weakness. The offense is going to attack each teams weakness.

Complete opposite of Petersen's "who cares who we play, we are just going to do what we do best."

This

While it is possible to be worse than Peterson I don't see it happening

By the time Pete let I was so over him it wasn't funny

And by the way the TSIO guys have some explaining to do as well. Blue chips my ass

Get me football players who make football plays. Not 7 on 7 all stars
    Osbourne and Spiker are the two best WR’s on the West. Ty Jones will be incredible. You’re gonna miss some when all you really have is a 5 min Hudl of these kids, but their WR evals were terrible.
    Its a crap shoot. Ngta and Gee Jr may never do anything at Clemson and tOSU either

Every year there is a fresh crop of 6 foot 4 guys that run a 4.4.
    Agreed. Its not a video game. They are all young people who need to make choices every day to get better and sometimes they dont. Or they have a talent ceiling. So many things can happen its not like you hit the "coach them up" button and they get magically better.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,487
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1) the coaches think they're smarter than everyone else (like Shaw) and want to go counter to what everyone is doing.

2) they hate interceptions to the point of not wanting to pass unless they have to.

There's some analytics going on here obviously. It's just tough to get through this conference playing that style and hoping your kicker can win you games at the end or the other team gives up a critical turnover and you don't.

That played out last weekend where a block punt almost cost us a game. You can only mitigate the chaos so much.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,358
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Yes I think Lake is making the classic mistake of "what is hardest for me to defend against = what kind of offense we need" when what he doesn't realize is that he's not building an offense to beat his defense, he's building an offense to beat Pac12 defenses and Pac12 defenses aren't near as good as defending the pass as his defense.

Every team UW has lost to the last 5 years were all strong running teams. Even look at Oregon last year, Cristobal just kept handing it off when Herbert was trying to throw the game away.

Bama, tOSU, Penn St., Stanford, Oregon...They all could run power when they wanted to and play keep away if need be.

Hurts was a raw freshmen in the playoff game. If Bama didn't have the rumbling backs they could have been in trouble had Jake not bailed them out

UW could have beat Hurts
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,606
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Bread said:

Jimmy is a little smarter then you idiots. They aren't rolling out a power run scheme every week. He hates offenses that target his defenses weakness. The offense is going to attack each teams weakness.

Complete opposite of Petersen's "who cares who we play, we are just going to do what we do best."

You might be right.

If all we can score is 27 points by attacking OSU's weaknesses I have a lot of questions.
    Consider that three different passes were dropped in the endzone. It's not like Jimmy handed off every play, Ty Jones, and Odunze botched it. So did Bynum on third down, etc..

Those miscues do not owe to a "running philosophy." They owe to 4 star WR's fucking up at their jobs.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Every team UW has lost to the last 5 years were all strong running teams. Even look at Oregon last year, Cristobal just kept handing it off when Herbert was trying to throw the game away.

Bama, tOSU, Penn St., Stanford, Oregon...They all could run power when they wanted to and play keep away if need be.

tOSU and Penn State absolutely beat us with the pass.

The others I agree.

And again this isn't coincidence and it isn't because running is a superior strategy. It's because our defense is designed to stop the pass. 2 down lineman and 5 DB's in base is highly unusual, and it's been highly effective overall. Jimmy understands innately that the passing game is the most valuable part of the game, that's why he (and K) attempt to take it away (and basically outside of the Penn State and tOSU games, succeed) from other team's offenses first.

It's just fascinating that he doesn't carry that same mindset to the offensive side of the ball.
  • Options

To me, it's as simple as this:

If Alabama or Ohio State or Clemson East were to pop into Microwave Burrito Stadium to face off against the mighty Oregon State Babushkas, is their offensive philosophy to target OSU's weakness on defense? Or is their philosophy to do whatever the fuck they want because they're that much better? I'm betting Alabama would roll in there and pass for 400 yards rather easily.

If I were to pick a fistfight with a crippled eight year old girl, I would wail away in any manner I please. Avoiding her left side because her right hook is weaker would be... pathetic.

I wasn't a big fan of your offseason posts but you and I have seen eye to eye the last few days for sure. Good chit man.
  • Options

dnc said:

Bread said:

You might be right.

If all we can score is 27 points by attacking OSU's weaknesses I have a lot of questions.
    Consider that three different passes were dropped in the endzone. It's not like Jimmy handed off every play, Ty Jones, and Odunze botched it. So did Bynum on third down, etc..

Those miscues do not owe to a "running philosophy." They owe to 4 star WR's fucking up at their jobs.
    We ran 51 times and threw 24 (and those numbers aren't skewed by sacks as there weren't any). And it's not like we had a huge lead and were sitting on the ball to kill clock half the game either. The game plan was to run twice as much as we passed.

We won, so it worked, I guess.

But running like you're 1990s Nebraska without the benefit of an option QB wasn't anything that should inspire confidence in anyone.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

To me, it's as simple as this:

If Alabama or Ohio State or Clemson East were to pop into Microwave Burrito Stadium to face off against the mighty Oregon State Babushkas, is their offensive philosophy to target OSU's weakness on defense? Or is their philosophy to do whatever the fuck they want because they're that much better? I'm betting Alabama would roll in there and pass for 400 yards rather easily.

If I were to pick a fistfight with a crippled eight year old girl, I would wail away in any manner I please. Avoiding her left side because her right hook is weaker would be... pathetic.

I wasn't a big fan of your offseason posts but you and I have seen eye to eye the last few days for sure. Good chit man.
    Look, I get it: Sigur Ros isn't for everyone. But it's not real life like Husky football.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,563
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Bread said:

This

While it is possible to be worse than Peterson I don't see it happening

By the time Pete let I was so over him it wasn't funny

And by the way the TSIO guys have some explaining to do as well. Blue chips my ass

Get me football players who make football plays. Not 7 on 7 all stars
    We just need more recruits with 2 black parents, that are also not Nigerians like Ulofoshio, and all are problems will be solved

According to those fucking idiots