Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2019 Stanford

2»

Comments

• Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Yes I think Lake is making the classic mistake of "what is hardest for me to defend against = what kind of offense we need" when what he doesn't realize is that he's not building an offense to beat his defense, he's building an offense to beat Pac12 defenses and Pac12 defenses aren't near as good as defending the pass as his defense.

TL;DR: *Gurgle*

Every team UW has lost to the last 5 years were all strong running teams. Even look at Oregon last year, Cristobal just kept handing it off when Herbert was trying to throw the game away.

Bama, tOSU, Penn St., Stanford, Oregon...They all could run power when they wanted to and play keep away if need be.

tOSU and Penn State absolutely beat us with the pass.

The others I agree.

And again this isn't coincidence and it isn't because running is a superior strategy. It's because our defense is designed to stop the pass. 2 down lineman and 5 DB's in base is highly unusual, and it's been highly effective overall. Jimmy understands innately that the passing game is the most valuable part of the game, that's why he (and K) attempt to take it away (and basically outside of the Penn State and tOSU games, succeed) from other team's offenses first.

It's just fascinating that he doesn't carry that same mindset to the offensive side of the ball.
    Penn St. had a guy name Saquon Barkley on their team and McSorely could move as well. They beat us every way you can be beaten but the threat of the run was ever present and essentially, talent and execution wise, operating at the highest level.

Ohio St. Had Mike Weber and JK Dobbins to roll out. But it is true that Haskins beat us more than anything.

Either way, those were teams that could do what they wanted on the ground.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,097
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Bread said:

Jimmy is a little smarter then you idiots. They aren't rolling out a power run scheme every week. He hates offenses that target his defenses weakness. The offense is going to attack each teams weakness.

Complete opposite of Petersen's "who cares who we play, we are just going to do what we do best."

You might be right.

If all we can score is 27 points by attacking OSU's weaknesses I have a lot of questions.
    Game #1 for head coach, QB, OC, OL, etc, etc, etc. LIPO.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Bread said:

Jimmy is a little smarter then you idiots. They aren't rolling out a power run scheme every week. He hates offenses that target his defenses weakness. The offense is going to attack each teams weakness.

Complete opposite of Petersen's "who cares who we play, we are just going to do what we do best."

This

While it is possible to be worse than Peterson I don't see it happening

By the time Pete let I was so over him it wasn't funny

And by the way the TSIO guys have some explaining to do as well. Blue chips my ass

Get me football players who make football plays. Not 7 on 7 all stars
    Osbourne and Spiker are the two best WR’s on the West. Ty Jones will be incredible. You’re gonna miss some when all you really have is a 5 min Hudl of these kids, but their WR evals were terrible.
    I still think we need a white WR to really take the next step.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Bread said:

You might be right.

If all we can score is 27 points by attacking OSU's weaknesses I have a lot of questions.
    Consider that three different passes were dropped in the endzone. It's not like Jimmy handed off every play, Ty Jones, and Odunze botched it. So did Bynum on third down, etc..

Those miscues do not owe to a "running philosophy." They owe to 4 star WR's fucking up at their jobs.
    We ran 51 times and threw 24 (and those numbers aren't skewed by sacks as there weren't any). And it's not like we had a huge lead and were sitting on the ball to kill clock half the game either. The game plan was to run twice as much as we passed.

We won, so it worked, I guess.

But running like you're 1990s Nebraska without the benefit of an option QB wasn't anything that should inspire confidence in anyone.
    I think they were trying to prove a point to themselves, i.e. we are tough and can run the ball(!), which, considering the opponent, seemed like the strategic and teaching moment they were looking for.

Imagine DylMo throwing a pick 6 or some stupid shit in the 4th quarter. Husky Twitter would all be dead.

They obviously thought Newton was going to start beasting people at some point, which never materialized, so hopefully he's 4th string now.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited November 2020
    Gladstone said:

In this shit conference, the pure virtue of coming in and being legitimately physical (e.g. what Cristobal did) immediately puts you in the top 4. Until I see other gameplans I do not understand the apprehension with the offense yet.

I've died and gone to heaven.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Bread said:

This

And by the way the TSIO guys have some explaining to do as well. Blue chips my ass

Ask away ... what do you want explained Gramps?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Bread said:

This

I explained it already
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Bread said:

This

I explained it already
    Clearly hate the attempt at humor ...

I agree with you that there was clearly something missing with Petersen last year ... he looked very burned out to me. I applaud him for stepping away when he realized he didn't have the hunger to do the job going forward.

My primary concern with Lake is that I see him as someone that thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. The soundbites sound wonderful. But when it comes to executing, to date I haven't seen the match to his words. For any person in leadership, I worry about someone who talks a better game than they play it.

I'm definitely not someone that is going to get bent out of shape over any single recruit as it really is about the depth of the talent versus any individual player.

When asking for the TSIO guys to explain and then referencing blue chips, there's a lot of ways for that discussion to go. When you bring in a lot of talent some will work out and some won't. I'll always advocate for getting competition into position groups and letting the players decide who plays.

What I will disagree with is a blind disputing of talent and rankings. They are definitely not absolutes but there's a reason that people follow the blue chip ratio as it does have some decent correlation. You're right that evaluating skills like toughness, can you actually make the plays when the pressure is on, etc. are important measurement tools vs looking at 7 on 7 underwear olympics (which have some but limitations to them). Off the top of my head I know that all of the members of TSIO were very bullish on 3-star Taylor Rapp and were proven right. I know that we also thought that ZTF looked much, much better than his ranking.

By and large TSIO has been fairly good at talking about players and what their strengths and weaknesses are.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Bread said:

This

He was asking Dennis and Coker not the douche tag along that thinks people care about powerpoint slides and TCU
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Bread said:

This

I explained it already

I agree with you that there was clearly something missing with Petersen last year ... he looked very burned out to me. I applaud him for stepping away when he realized he didn't have the hunger to do the job going forward.

My primary concern with Lake is that I see him as someone that thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. The soundbites sound wonderful. But when it comes to executing, to date I haven't seen the match to his words. For any person in leadership, I worry about someone who talks a better game than they play it.

I'm definitely not someone that is going to get bent out of shape over any single recruit as it really is about the depth of the talent versus any individual player.

When asking for the TSIO guys to explain and then referencing blue chips, there's a lot of ways for that discussion to go. When you bring in a lot of talent some will work out and some won't. I'll always advocate for getting competition into position groups and letting the players decide who plays.

What I will disagree with is a blind disputing of talent and rankings. They are definitely not absolutes but there's a reason that people follow the blue chip ratio as it does have some decent correlation. You're right that evaluating skills like toughness, can you actually make the plays when the pressure is on, etc. are important measurement tools vs looking at 7 on 7 underwear olympics (which have some but limitations to them). Off the top of my head I know that all of the members of TSIO were very bullish on 3-star Taylor Rapp and were proven right. I know that we also thought that ZTF looked much, much better than his ranking.

By and large TSIO has been fairly good at talking about players and what their strengths and weaknesses are.
    What?
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Bread said:

This

I explained it already

No let’s roll? No taking the gloves off?

Disappointed.
    Patience grasshopper
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Bread said:

This

I explained it already

What?
    Sorry .. should have written in larger text
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Bread said:

This

I explained it already

What?
    Sorry .. should have written in larger text
    Tl,dr
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Lake:

“What I’m excited about is we will be multifaceted. If we need to run the ball, we can run the ball. If we think we need to pass the ball to put a little more pressure on our opponent, we’ll be able to pass the ball. If it’s a rainy, cold, wet night like last Saturday night, and we need to run it, let’s run it. If it’s snowing sideways and we need to run it, let’s run it. But, hey, if we have the opportunity to go throw it around and spin it around a little bit, we’ll be able to do that, too.

“That’s what I love about our offense, and that’s what is very challenging for a defense when you don’t know what you’re going to get week to week. So this weekend (against Arizona), you’re going to see a different type of offense. It’s not going to be exactly what happened this last Saturday, and that puts a lot of pressure on our opponent’s coordinators.”

I asked Lake to gauge his level of confidence in UW’s ability to create explosive plays in the passing game.

“It’s very high,” he said. “I’ve seen it against what I believe are some of the best DBs in the country that are on our roster. I’ve seen it in practice. I’ve seen it in training camp. Again, we’re going to do whatever we feel we need to do to make sure we win the football game. … We’re going to do what the defense presents, to where we think there’s going to be a weakness.

“I will say this: We’re never going to be Air Raid. We’re not going to sit back there and throw the ball all over the place for no reason. That’s not how you win championships. We have some guys out wide that can go make some plays. I wish they would have pulled a couple down this last Saturday, but we’re working on improving that. I’m excited to watch this whole team’s growth and improvement, and for it to show itself Saturday night.”
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Gladstone said:

In this shit conference, the pure virtue of coming in and being legitimately physical (e.g. what Cristobal did) immediately puts you in the top 4. Until I see other gameplans I do not understand the apprehension with the offense yet.

We won the conference two of the last four years and hated our offense. I'm supposed to be excited about an offense that can keep us in the top 4 in the Pac?

BTW Cristobal's brand of physical is far more creative and modern than the dreck Jon Donavan is running.

Also Cristobal can recruit.

If what we saw Saturday is what we plan to do going forward our ceiling and our floor are both a hell of a lot lower than Oregon's.

Hopefully what we saw was just some first game identity bullshit.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

We won the conference two of the last four years and hated our offense. I'm supposed to be excited about an offense that can keep us in the top 4 in the Pac?

BTW Cristobal's brand of physical is far more creative and modern than the dreck Jon Donavan is running.

Also Cristobal can recruit.

If what we saw Saturday is what we plan to do going forward our ceiling and our floor are both a hell of a lot lower than Oregon's.

Hopefully what we saw was just some first game identity bullshit.
    I think my stance thus far is pretty clear on wanting to let it play out. 11 months since last game, no spring ball, attacking a weakness, etc etc etc.

All that said I absolutely agree with you on Cristobal and Oregon’s offensive ceiling.

Moorehead’s system has then looking dangerous, and it’s clearly only scratching the surface so far. Lots of mistakes and miscues but you can just see there is going to be an explosion. That RPO is so difficult to defend.

My hope is that another team out there snatches him the hell up as another HC chance or just an overpay OC.