Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kevin Thomson

124»

Comments

• Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

chuck said:

chuck said:

dnc said:
    He's pretty ripped looking for a QB.

Maybe he'll surprise me. I know he's a good athlete and has plenty of arm. Maybe that shit bag team he was playing on just held him back.

Sirmon better have made some big strides or this guy will easily steal the job on the strength of his versatility. The situation is ripe for a flawed QB like this who can be a threat to make things happen when the offense as a whole isn't working right.
    The thing is, we are bringing back a strong enough supporting cast (we're in the magic blue chip range now and at every position we have either returning starters or blue chip recruits next up) that if they can get SOLID play from just one of these guys, we will likely have a very good season. They dont even have to be All-American level. Just have decent accuracy and timing, be able to diagnose blitzes, and dont make game changing bonehead mistakes. You have 3 4* guys to pick from along with an all-American FCS grad transfer. You should be able to get above average play from one of those guys. If it's the transfer, so be it
    That is there thinking as well which is why losing KJ to Leach was a big blow. I'm more concerned about the OL than I am about the QB position honestly.
    That surprises me a bit. I know they're not game seasoned, but UW hasnt had such a large number of upper tier OL prospects since I've been paying close attention. There are enough bodies in at least their second year that you'd think they can assemble a solid to good line out of it.
    Probably going to have five new starters as I believe Kirkland will move over to left tackle and Luke will play center. Limited practice hurts OL the most since they all five need to be in sync and with five new starters that will be a challenge. And then there is Huff and his questionable coaching. Go back and watch the last few games, our OL was awful and Eason was getting killed whenever he dropped back to pass. So while we definitely have talent in that room, the lack of experience along with the lack of practice time along with Huff's questionable coaching has me worried.
    What are you hearing about the young guys?
    Not much to hear since there was no spring practice. Workouts start on Monday for returning players and hopefully walk throughs will start in mid july but coaches offensively have no clue what they have at OL and QB. RB, WR and TE are in good shape so skill position wise we are good, just need the reps to learn the playbook. Defensively players are mostly set as well with the same scheme so they should be dominant. Season will hinge on Donovan, the QB he picks and the OL. If they can come together in a short period of time, we can definitely compete with Oregon for the North with the defense we will have but that's a big if. Being the dawg fan that I am, i'm going to believe that this offense will come together during the middle of the season and that the defense will be so dominant that they can carry them through Michigan and Oregon so I got them going 10-2 but that's just me.
    @sonics1993 - I think I asked you this before but do you still think Morris gives us the best chance to win?
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

chuck said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

Maybe he'll surprise me. I know he's a good athlete and has plenty of arm. Maybe that shit bag team he was playing on just held him back.

Sirmon better have made some big strides or this guy will easily steal the job on the strength of his versatility. The situation is ripe for a flawed QB like this who can be a threat to make things happen when the offense as a whole isn't working right.
    The thing is, we are bringing back a strong enough supporting cast (we're in the magic blue chip range now and at every position we have either returning starters or blue chip recruits next up) that if they can get SOLID play from just one of these guys, we will likely have a very good season. They dont even have to be All-American level. Just have decent accuracy and timing, be able to diagnose blitzes, and dont make game changing bonehead mistakes. You have 3 4* guys to pick from along with an all-American FCS grad transfer. You should be able to get above average play from one of those guys. If it's the transfer, so be it
    That is there thinking as well which is why losing KJ to Leach was a big blow. I'm more concerned about the OL than I am about the QB position honestly.
    That surprises me a bit. I know they're not game seasoned, but UW hasnt had such a large number of upper tier OL prospects since I've been paying close attention. There are enough bodies in at least their second year that you'd think they can assemble a solid to good line out of it.
    Probably going to have five new starters as I believe Kirkland will move over to left tackle and Luke will play center. Limited practice hurts OL the most since they all five need to be in sync and with five new starters that will be a challenge. And then there is Huff and his questionable coaching. Go back and watch the last few games, our OL was awful and Eason was getting killed whenever he dropped back to pass. So while we definitely have talent in that room, the lack of experience along with the lack of practice time along with Huff's questionable coaching has me worried.
    What are you hearing about the young guys?
    Not much to hear since there was no spring practice. Workouts start on Monday for returning players and hopefully walk throughs will start in mid july but coaches offensively have no clue what they have at OL and QB. RB, WR and TE are in good shape so skill position wise we are good, just need the reps to learn the playbook. Defensively players are mostly set as well with the same scheme so they should be dominant. Season will hinge on Donovan, the QB he picks and the OL. If they can come together in a short period of time, we can definitely compete with Oregon for the North with the defense we will have but that's a big if. Being the dawg fan that I am, i'm going to believe that this offense will come together during the middle of the season and that the defense will be so dominant that they can carry them through Michigan and Oregon so I got them going 10-2 but that's just me.
    @sonics1993 - I think I asked you this before but do you still think Morris gives us the best chance to win?
    I can't really answer that question since there is not much to go off of. No spring practices and a new scheme make it difficult to answer that question. I will say if this was based on last years fall camp results the answer would be yes because Sirmon threw way to many picks and that's the last thing we need especially with the defense we have. Sirmon has the most upside but his decision making is why I have never bought in with him.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,953
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020

chuck said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

Oregon will have the same OL discontinuity besides Penis. Most every team will to a degree, to start.

Run the fucking rock, I say. And when they least expect it, PLAY ACTION TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,792
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    In defense of Huff our pass pro schemes were fucktarded under Pete.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2020

I heard that Huff hated the offense and encouraging Pete to step down, if he wouldn't give up the offense entirely, was led by Huff, Malloe, and K.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

Agree. Taking out 14 TE motion variations and weird blocking schemes should help these guys.

Power run, simplified schemes, play action, more verticals.

If you watch Thomson's tape at Sac St. I think you can see what Lake and Donovan want their offense to look like.

Plus the guy can move a little, so RPO is a much bigger threat.
  • Options

Plus the guy can move a little, so RPO is a much bigger threat.
    RPO =/= Read Option

You can be a statue and RPO all game long. The run (R) in RPO is the handoff option. Just thought I would clarify because I see this misconception quite a bit.

Having a QB that can't run is a hindrance though, which made Pete's aversion to dual threat guys frustrating. It's an outdated line of thinking where you have a false choice between an accurate QB or a mobile QB. You can be both.
    Doug Pedersen won a super bowl going RPO heavy with Nick Foles.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Possibly, but I've been really unimpressed with how our OL has played as a unit under Huff. It's your job to coach the offensive line and if you cant adapt to the offense, you've got problems. I'm hoping the younger guys who have been with Huff since the beginning will be hungry. Adams was clearly phoning it in last year.
  • Options

Possibly, but I've been really unimpressed with how our OL has played as a unit under Huff. It's your job to coach the offensive line and if you cant adapt to the offense, you've got problems. I'm hoping the younger guys who have been with Huff since the beginning will be hungry. Adams was clearly phoning it in last year.
    Yeah. Our OL talent was garbage last year though.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

I heard that Huff hated the offense and encouraging Pete to step down, if he wouldn't give up the offense entirely, was led by Huff, Malloe, and K.

And they all ran a pedophilia ring out of the U Village Joey.

...which made Pete's aversion to dual threat guys frustrating.

Maybe it's a morning spent reading Teq's armchair athletic directoring, but the negativity is jumping the shark around here. There is zero evidence that Petersen had an aversion to dual threat quarterbacks. He offered plenty, and none committed. I don't think his offense was one that wanted the quarterback keeping on designed runs a lot, but no coach ever thought to himself, "I'd prefer that my quarterback can't run."

Browning played because he was the best option on the roster. Browning starting as a freshman made it hard to recruit ANY quarterback, let alone a dual-threat. That left the cupboards pretty bare post-Browning, and everyone here would have flipped their shit had he started the way more mobile Heinous over Eason. Speaking of Eason, the common understanding is Eason's recruitment led to an overreaction of offering quarterbacks early, hence Morris over Millen.

I think Petersen would have loved to have a quarterback that could pull and keep every once in a while, but what do I know.

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,431
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

haie said:

Maybe it's a morning spent reading Teq's armchair athletic directoring, but the negativity is jumping the shark around here. There is zero evidence that Petersen had an aversion to dual threat quarterbacks. He offered plenty, and none committed. I don't think his offense was one that wanted the quarterback keeping on designed runs a lot, but no coach ever thought to himself, "I'd prefer that my quarterback can't run."

Browning played because he was the best option on the roster. Browning starting as a freshman made it hard to recruit ANY quarterback, let alone a dual-threat. That left the cupboards pretty bare post-Browning, and everyone here would have flipped their shit had he started the way more mobile Heinous over Eason. Speaking of Eason, the common understanding is Eason's recruitment led to an overreaction of offering quarterbacks early, hence Morris over Millen.

I think Petersen would have loved to have a quarterback that could pull and keep every once in a while, but what do I know.

Signed Yankoff who is mobile.
    They're freshmen dude. Yankoff is future starter here no question. His pin pointdart to Spiker shows his arm. Of course spiker dropped it. He's the future at UW
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

haie said:

Signed Yankoff who is mobile.
    They're freshmen dude. Yankoff is future starter here no question. His pin pointdart to Spiker shows his arm. Of course spiker dropped it. He's the future at UW
    I have to disagree. I don’t think Yankoff is the future at UW. Perhaps some place like UCLA, maybe.