Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Kevin Thomson

Comments

• BonedogBonedog Member Posts: 650
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Who is McSorley? He poast here?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited June 2020
    On Thomson's completion percentage, I haven't looked closely enough to verify this but his former coaches are quoted saying that they ran a lot of play action, deep pass stuff. If that's true, a lower completion percentage needs to be taken with a grain of salt. His yards per attempt doesn't really back that up, though. Maybe one of the TBS'ers with no life will spend more time looking in to that.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

His stats and size are basically the same as Prukop. Does that mean he'll be benched in favor of a true frosh a few games into the season and the frosh will lose 70-21 to their arch rival in his first start?

Size
    Prukop: 6'2, 205lbs
    Thomson: 6'1, 205lbs

Final year at FCS
    Prukop: 3025 passing yards, 28 TDs, 10 INTs, 797 rushing yards, 11 TDs
    Thomson: 3212 passing yards, 27 TDs, 8 INTs, 619 rushing yards, 12 TDs

Prukop was more accurate though, 62.8% to 58.7%. And far better yards per attempt 8.8 to 7.2

Thomson is a poor man's Prukop.
    I did a little digging and something happened at the end of the season last year, his stats dropped off hard and was either benched or injured for a game.

The first game he struggled against Weber State the box score indicates he split snaps, then he didn't play at all the next week, then finishes off the season with a playoff loss.

It's fair to note Sac State is an absolute garbage program, so making the playoffs is a pretty big deal and bodes well for the winners win crowd.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

On Thomson's completion percentage, I haven't looked closely enough to verify this but his former coaches are quoted saying that they ran a lot of play action, deep pass stuff. If that's true, a lower completion percentage needs to be taken with a grain of salt. His yards per attempt doesn't really back that up, though. Maybe one of the TBS'ers with no life will spend more time looking in to that.

Take a look at the two vids posted by Neighbor. I think both represent every play of the game where he didn't hand off. They did run a lot of PA and he was looking downfield a lot.

They were not a good looking team and were pretty overmatched in the first one. He makes a couple of great throws, but was off the mark on some open guys and made a few horrible decisions. These looked to be out of desperation as their offense was getting abused at times.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

That's why I included yards per attempt.

He could have had a shit OL and/or receivers that help explain it somewhat but you want a Krukop level yards per attempt if you're going to be running a completion percentage under 60, especially at a lower level.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,059
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I’d probably feel better if this guy starts against Michigan. I could see them eating Sirmon alive.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

chuck said:

dnc said:
    He's pretty ripped looking for a QB.

Maybe he'll surprise me. I know he's a good athlete and has plenty of arm. Maybe that shit bag team he was playing on just held him back.

Sirmon better have made some big strides or this guy will easily steal the job on the strength of his versatility. The situation is ripe for a flawed QB like this who can be a threat to make things happen when the offense as a whole isn't working right.
    The thing is, we are bringing back a strong enough supporting cast (we're in the magic blue chip range now and at every position we have either returning starters or blue chip recruits next up) that if they can get SOLID play from just one of these guys, we will likely have a very good season. They dont even have to be All-American level. Just have decent accuracy and timing, be able to diagnose blitzes, and dont make game changing bonehead mistakes. You have 3 4* guys to pick from along with an all-American FCS grad transfer. You should be able to get above average play from one of those guys. If it's the transfer, so be it
    Whoa. Is that really you?
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,875
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

chuck said:

dnc said:

Maybe he'll surprise me. I know he's a good athlete and has plenty of arm. Maybe that shit bag team he was playing on just held him back.

Sirmon better have made some big strides or this guy will easily steal the job on the strength of his versatility. The situation is ripe for a flawed QB like this who can be a threat to make things happen when the offense as a whole isn't working right.
    The thing is, we are bringing back a strong enough supporting cast (we're in the magic blue chip range now and at every position we have either returning starters or blue chip recruits next up) that if they can get SOLID play from just one of these guys, we will likely have a very good season. They dont even have to be All-American level. Just have decent accuracy and timing, be able to diagnose blitzes, and dont make game changing bonehead mistakes. You have 3 4* guys to pick from along with an all-American FCS grad transfer. You should be able to get above average play from one of those guys. If it's the transfer, so be it
    Whoa. Is that really you?
    I'm big on the talent we have and I've been called a doog for being somewhat optimistic about our qb situation. I am not fond of our recruiting efforts and mismanagement right now. Im not sure how one could be.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    chuck said:

dnc said:

If anything having a backup QB that knows what a weight room looks like would be an improvement.

The work-ethic has been horrid and entitlement off the charts for the QB room since Price left.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    well damn - if we were playing ASU this year we might have a chance

• WillyRBeekWillyRBeek Member Posts: 133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    haie said:

haie said:

#ourtrace

If anyone downplays this player and pumps up Barkley when talking about Penn St. they didn't see them live at the Fiesta.

I can't describe what a "gamer" is, but I know it when I see it and this qb made every correct decision, was lightning fast in every decision he made, and was smart enough to pick up the 1st down when available and knew when to take shots as well. Could run, throw accurately on the run, and sits in the pocket like he kept his switch and bong in there. That is the only true dismantling of UWs K/Lake defense I've ever seen, maybe a distant second is Stanford in 2017 but still doesn't come close to what McSorely accomplished and I don't even think he needed Barkley to do it.
    His arm was so bad he got converted to safety in the NFL. The only reason was effective was because he Desean Hamilton, Barkley, and Geisicki. He fucking sucks
    Who gives a fuck about the NFL? Rewatch the Fiesta bowl. Watch how he has his outlet in mind the whole time while looking for the deep threat, and outfoxes UW defense and gets the 3rd down conversion seemingly 100 FUCKING TIMES that game. Watch what he does with his feet. Uncoachable.

To march down the field like that against 2017 UW and Vita Vea is amazing. Barkley's TD simply took advantage of that situation.

That game was a blueprint for other teams beating us in 18 and 19.
    That game was so god damn frustrating to watch. Defense looked fine on 1st and 2nd down, and then McSorley would carve them up on 3rd down. There was one point where PSU converted something like 10 or 11 3rd downs in a row, if memory serves me correctly.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

chuck said:

dnc said:

That is there thinking as well which is why losing KJ to Leach was a big blow. I'm more concerned about the OL than I am about the QB position honestly.
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

dnc said:

That is there thinking as well which is why losing KJ to Leach was a big blow. I'm more concerned about the OL than I am about the QB position honestly.
    That surprises me a bit. I know they're not game seasoned, but UW hasnt had such a large number of upper tier OL prospects since I've been paying close attention. There are enough bodies in at least their second year that you'd think they can assemble a solid to good line out of it.
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

That surprises me a bit. I know they're not game seasoned, but UW hasnt had such a large number of upper tier OL prospects since I've been paying close attention. There are enough bodies in at least their second year that you'd think they can assemble a solid to good line out of it.
    Probably going to have five new starters as I believe Kirkland will move over to left tackle and Luke will play center. Limited practice hurts OL the most since they all five need to be in sync and with five new starters that will be a challenge. And then there is Huff and his questionable coaching. Go back and watch the last few games, our OL was awful and Eason was getting killed whenever he dropped back to pass. So while we definitely have talent in that room, the lack of experience along with the lack of practice time along with Huff's questionable coaching has me worried.
    Copy. It's not that the players arent there so much as whether or not they'll be well coached and ready as a unit. Makes sense.
  • DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

chuck said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

Probably going to have five new starters as I believe Kirkland will move over to left tackle and Luke will play center. Limited practice hurts OL the most since they all five need to be in sync and with five new starters that will be a challenge. And then there is Huff and his questionable coaching. Go back and watch the last few games, our OL was awful and Eason was getting killed whenever he dropped back to pass. So while we definitely have talent in that room, the lack of experience along with the lack of practice time along with Huff's questionable coaching has me worried.
    What are you hearing about the young guys?