Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why is it so fucking hard for so many people to admit...

Comments

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,053 Standard Supporter
    We killed more with the fire bombings than the nukes killed. Of course I was told if a place got nuked no one could survive there for half a million years. Seems my teachers were wrong. Nagasaki and Hiroshima seem rather lively.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Besides, FDR won WWII, so he can pop off.
    Leave the history to the pros, pal. This ain’t your wheelhouse.

Source: @ThomasFremont: The Legend, the History Pro, and Pal.

Good think I have @ThomasFremont around to remind me that the Great Depression lasted only 4 years and it was FDR who dropped the Atomic Bombs on Japan that won WW2.

So I guess it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, right Tommy?

Leave history to the pros, pal.

Indeed. POTD

The atomic bomb didn’t win WWII, are you that simple?
    Okay, I'll play along. Let's hear the Revisions, SlowTommy.

What won WW2, SlowTommy?
    VE Day came before we dropped the bomb. Japan was pushed back to the home islands cut off from resources and allies before we dropped the bomb. The bomb sped up the timeline of the Japanese surrender, but they were finished with or without it.

If you want to make the case that the bomb saved us the trouble of invading the home islands, I’m all good. But that wasn’t your point. If you want to argue the bomb halted further Soviet expansion since we got it FIRST!!1! I’d hear what you had to say. Still would have nothing to do with winning WWII.

Saying the atomic bomb “won” the war is like saying the third string freshman phenom RB “won” the game because he scored a highlight garbage time TD as the clock expired up 4 scores.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Good think I have @ThomasFremont around to remind me that the Great Depression lasted only 4 years and it was FDR who dropped the Atomic Bombs on Japan that won WW2.

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?
    VE Day came before we dropped the bomb. Japan was pushed back to the home islands cut off from resources and allies before we dropped the bomb. The bomb sped up the timeline of the Japanese surrender, but they were finished with or without it.

If you want to make the case that the bomb saved us the trouble of invading the home islands, I’m all good. But that wasn’t your point. If you want to argue the bomb halted further Soviet expansion since we got it FIRST!!1! I’d hear what you had to say. Still would have nothing to do with winning WWII.

Saying the atomic bomb “won” the war is like saying the third string freshman phenom RB “won” the game because he scored a highlight garbage time TD as the clock expired up 4 scores.

There is fair debate on the impact (lol) of The Bomb, but that's a bad analogy.

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Football games aren’t won on the last play. Especially when you already have a huge lead.

WWII wasn’t won by the “last” bomb either.

The freshman RB represents the new weapon that will dominate the future (the bomb).

I thought it was ok, as analogies go. But I’m open to notes. Should I have said he scored 2 TDs???
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,862 Standard Supporter

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

The Legend and History Pro @ThomasFremont excels at bad analogies.

And gee, although I wasn't around at the time, my history profs at UW made a pretty good case that Japan SURRENDERED - YOU STUPID FUCKS - AFTER the US dropped the 2nd atomic bomb on Nagasaki.

I'm sure the @ThomasFremonts of the world will be debating what should've, could've or would've happened in the weeks, months, or years after the skies over Japan went flash-boom-bang, but that Japanese surrender thingy will always be there to confound their discussions and conclusions about what NEVER ACTUALLY happened.

Carry on, Revisionists.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

Indeed. POTD

it was the detonation that did it

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

And gee, although I wasn't around at the time, my history profs at UW made a pretty good case that Japan SURRENDERED - YOU STUPID FUCKS - AFTER the US dropped the 2nd atomic bomb on Nagasaki.

I'm sure the @ThomasFremonts of the world will be debating what should've, could've or would've happened in the weeks, months, or years after the skies over Japan went flash-boom-bang, but that Japanese surrender thingy will always be there to confound their discussions and conclusions about what NEVER ACTUALLY happened.

Carry on, Revisionists.
    I never said we shouldn’t have dropped the bomb. I’m saying Japan had no path to victory by that point. If they needed to get a-bombed twice to see it that’s their problem. Fewer Americans dead.

Tell us more how the bomb “won” the war. Even though half of the war was already won, and Japan was running on fumes...

I expected more than this, you’re struggling here.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Projections aren’t results. It’s why we play the games

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Carry on, Revisionists.
    I never said we shouldn’t have dropped the bomb. I’m saying Japan had no path to victory by that point. If they needed to get a-bombed twice to see it that’s their problem. Fewer Americans dead.

Tell us more how the bomb “won” the war. Even though half of the war was already won, and Japan was running on fumes...

Big Giant Boom, times two, followed by "surrender."

What's a White Flag mean, Tommy? How about "throwing in the towel" or "conceding victory" to the opponent? Mere formalities?

You are growing dumber by the post. It's a rare sight, but, by all means, keep shitting all over yourself for all to see.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,823

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Real History ace we have here guys.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,823
    edited May 2020

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Carry on, Revisionists.
    I think the issue Tommy has is that it wasn't a diverse Manhattan Project crew and it just furthered the power of the white patriarchy, unnecessarily, moving forward.
    salemcoog said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Carry on, Revisionists.
    I think the issue Tommy has is that it wasn't a diverse Manhattan Project crew and it just furthered the power of the white patriarchy, unnecessarily moving forward.
    More importantly, I think we've found the original human subject for which the expression "Thick as a Brick" was coined.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

The real sport analogy is that the bombs were back to back possessions of holding until the shot-clock is low and then nailing 3 pointers near the end of the game.

They were daggers that ensured no miracle comeback, no 20 mins of fouling and commercials, delaying the inevitable in the hopes a miracle occurs. The away team gave up and saw the inevitable, so everyone could get on the bus and go home a little bit earlier.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,053 Standard Supporter
    Simple analogy is that the enemy refused to surrender and fight to the death. We obliged without risking our soldiers. Seems the bastards didn't think we had the resolve to end their reign or terror.
    edited May 2020

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Carry on, Revisionists.

What's a White Flag mean, Tommy? How about "throwing in the towel" or "conceding victory" to the opponent? Mere formalities?

You are growing dumber by the post. It's a rare sight, but, by all means, keep shitting all over yourself for all to see.
    Japan was already defeated militarily via conventional means. Their fleet was destroyed. Air Force too. They couldn’t build anything, much less fuel it. They’d been totally cut off from the natural resources needed to wage war.

Your insistence that the bomb “won“ the war is laughable.

With or without it, they were toast. I think you meant to say it ended the war.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972

Doogles said:

The shut down will ultimately cost more lives than it saved, cook it.

Yeah, not gonna go that far.
    It will be interesting to see the suicide rate during the pandemic shutdown once they are released.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/12/coronavirus-crisis-creates-perfect-storm-for-suicide-risk-as-job-losses-soar-and-people-remain-isolated-at-home.html
    The annual total would have to double to match the dead through 3 months from COVID (who knows how much more beyond that).

Would be sad to see, but I doubt it happens.
    There is no doubt in my mind if this is prolonged into a full blown Depression, suicides will double. And that's being conservative.

Ok, full blown Depression, then I agree.

But the Great Depression lasted 4 years, this thing has been a few months.

We have a long ways to go before things get THAT dire. It won’t.
    The depression lasted 10 years. Because FDR was a fuck up
    You’re only making my point stronger.

Doogles said:

The shut down will ultimately cost more lives than it saved, cook it.

Yeah, not gonna go that far.
    It will be interesting to see the suicide rate during the pandemic shutdown once they are released.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/12/coronavirus-crisis-creates-perfect-storm-for-suicide-risk-as-job-losses-soar-and-people-remain-isolated-at-home.html
    The annual total would have to double to match the dead through 3 months from COVID (who knows how much more beyond that).

Would be sad to see, but I doubt it happens.
    There is no doubt in my mind if this is prolonged into a full blown Depression, suicides will double. And that's being conservative.

Ok, full blown Depression, then I agree.

But the Great Depression lasted 4 years, this thing has been a few months.

We have a long ways to go before things get THAT dire. It won’t.
    The depression lasted 10 years. Because FDR was a fuck up
    You’re only making my point stronger.

I didn’t care about your point. FDR was a fuck up an extended the depression. Truman won WWII. Simple fact.
    Tommy @ThomasFremont also never learned of FDR’s internment camps at his Softy JC.

Tommy is a LEGEND though.
    German and Italian internment camps???
    Yes dipshit. Your hero FDR was big on harassing Japanese, Italians, and Germans living in the USA, and locking many of them up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/news/italian-american-internment-persecution-wwii

The Berizzis were just a few of at least 600,000 Italians and Italian Americans—many of them naturalized citizens—swept up in a wave of racism and persecution during World War II. Hundreds of Italian “enemy aliens” were sent to internment camps like those Japanese Americans were forced into during the war. More than 10,000 were forced from their homes, and hundreds of thousands suffered curfews, confiscations and mass surveillance during the war. They were targeted despite a lack of evidence that traitorous Italians were conducting spy or sabotage operations in the United States
    Sledog said:

Simple analogy is that the enemy refused to surrender and fight to the death. We obliged without risking our soldiers. Seems the bastards didn't think we had the resolve to end their reign or terror.

@ThomasFremont is Mortimer Duke in Trading Places screaming "Turn those machines back on!!"

Difference is the Mortimer Bros lost 300 million in a movie, while it only takes $30 to bust Tommy in real life.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Carry on, Revisionists.

Japan was already defeated militarily via conventional means. Their fleet was destroyed. Air Force too. They couldn’t build anything, much less fuel it. They’d been totally cut off from the natural resources needed to wage war.

People said the same thing about the North Vietnamese since the start French Indochina war too.

Another sports analogy... Body blows win you the fight, but a haymaker to the head is what finishes it.
    Swaye said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Carry on, Revisionists.

Lots of technically correct stuff in this thread with everyone just wanting to appear superior. @TurdBomber is correct that the a-bombs were the decisive instrument that won the war, or ended the war - semantics. @ThomasFremont is correct that Japan was all but defeated by then, and only still waging war do to the crazy Bushido code bullshit that drove them as a culture. So essentially everyone is correct and you are all just pissing on each other over semantics and bullshit.

Look at me, building bridges again in the Tug.

I recall in ROTC military history class way back decades ago in Clarke Hall that Truman was showed our best estimates that suggested possibly a million deaths to fully subdue the main island. Japan had the civilian populace all raged up so that farmers were supposed to charge our guys with pitchforks and shit. It would have been death on a scale that is hard to imagine. The two A-bombs were actually a humane end to the war comparatively. I couldn't believe that Operation Meetinghouse killed over 100,000 people in one night of firebombing Tokyo. And they still didn't surrender. Even with no Navy left (thanks Nimitz and Spruance fuck yeah), and an Air Force made up of 16 year olds with no gas to fuel it anyway (as Tommy correctly asserts). Japan was completely crippled, and yet just refused to surrender. I actually admire that fighting spirit, even if a touch insane. That war was crazy. It was also America at its absolute finest. Industrial capacity mixed with brutal salt the Earth Total War. I'm hard.

Sounds like I won.