Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why is it so fucking hard for so many people to admit...

Comments

• USMChawkUSMChawk Member Posts: 1,796
    Houhusky said:

Besides, FDR won WWII, so he can pop off.
    Leave the history to the pros, pal. This ain’t your wheelhouse.

Source: @ThomasFremont: The Legend, the History Pro, and Pal.

Good think I have @ThomasFremont around to remind me that the Great Depression lasted only 4 years and it was FDR who dropped the Atomic Bombs on Japan that won WW2.

So I guess it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, right Tommy?

Leave history to the pros, pal.

Indeed. POTD

The atomic bomb didn’t win WWII, are you that simple?
    Okay, I'll play along. Let's hear the Revisions, SlowTommy.

What won WW2, SlowTommy?
    VE Day came before we dropped the bomb. Japan was pushed back to the home islands cut off from resources and allies before we dropped the bomb. The bomb sped up the timeline of the Japanese surrender, but they were finished with or without it.

If you want to make the case that the bomb saved us the trouble of invading the home islands, I’m all good. But that wasn’t your point. If you want to argue the bomb halted further Soviet expansion since we got it FIRST!!1! I’d hear what you had to say. Still would have nothing to do with winning WWII.

Saying the atomic bomb “won” the war is like saying the third string freshman phenom RB “won” the game because he scored a highlight garbage time TD as the clock expired up 4 scores.

There is fair debate on the impact (lol) of The Bomb, but that's a bad analogy.
    The real sport analogy is that the bombs were back to back possessions of holding until the shot-clock is low and then nailing 3 pointers near the end of the game.

They were daggers that ensured no miracle comeback, no 20 mins of fouling and commercials, delaying the inevitable in the hopes a miracle occurs. The away team gave up and saw the inevitable, so everyone could get on the bus and go home a little bit earlier.
    A better sports analogy is you’re taking a 1-0 lead into the bottom of the ninth.Yeah, you’re winning but you still need to close it out. The atomic bombs are your closers.

Also, baseball is for fags so it’s doubly perfect for this board...and this discussion.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Good think I have @ThomasFremont around to remind me that the Great Depression lasted only 4 years and it was FDR who dropped the Atomic Bombs on Japan that won WW2.

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?
    VE Day came before we dropped the bomb. Japan was pushed back to the home islands cut off from resources and allies before we dropped the bomb. The bomb sped up the timeline of the Japanese surrender, but they were finished with or without it.

If you want to make the case that the bomb saved us the trouble of invading the home islands, I’m all good. But that wasn’t your point. If you want to argue the bomb halted further Soviet expansion since we got it FIRST!!1! I’d hear what you had to say. Still would have nothing to do with winning WWII.

Saying the atomic bomb “won” the war is like saying the third string freshman phenom RB “won” the game because he scored a highlight garbage time TD as the clock expired up 4 scores.

The real sport analogy is that the bombs were back to back possessions of holding until the shot-clock is low and then nailing 3 pointers near the end of the game.

They were daggers that ensured no miracle comeback, no 20 mins of fouling and commercials, delaying the inevitable in the hopes a miracle occurs. The away team gave up and saw the inevitable, so everyone could get on the bus and go home a little bit earlier.
    A better sports analogy is you’re taking a 1-0 lead into the bottom of the ninth.Yeah, you’re winning but you still need to close it out. The atomic bombs are your closers.

Also, baseball is for fags so it’s doubly perfect for this board...and this discussion.
    Implying that the state of WWII right before we dropped the bomb was the equivalent to a 1-0 lead is the exact opposite of reality.

It was the end of a hard fought but ultimately decisive game and you just want to run the clock out and get out of there without any injuries.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,506 Standard Supporter

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Implying that the state of WWII right before we dropped the bomb was the equivalent to a 1-0 lead is the exact opposite of reality.

It was the end of a hard fought but ultimately decisive game and you just want to run the clock out and get out of there without any injuries.

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

March 1945: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Iwo_Jima

June 1945: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okinawa

Except the Japanese mounted even more fierce defense as the US troops inched closer.

Invasion would have been a bloodbath - both sides.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,439 Founders Club
    The bomb won the peace

We've failed to win hearts and minds ever since once we win the combat

We would still be fighting guerrillas in Japan
    edited May 2020

The bomb won the peace

We've failed to win hearts and minds ever since once we win the combat

We would still be fighting guerrillas in Japan

Once Stalin came in from the north, there wouldn't have been much of Japan left. Uncle Joe gave no fucks about fatalities of his own soldiers. Plus the Japanese already got their asses kicked by Zukhov prior to WWII.

People forget Dear Leader got his own guys into Manchuria in the last days...people forget that.

And it sent Joe home helping to win the peace

No wall in Japan
    edited May 2020

No wall in Japan

Uncle Joe was a peacemaker. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Just misunderstood.

Same as Mao.

No wall in Japan

Same as Mao.

Is that what your two students told you?

No wall in Japan

Same as Mao.

Of course.

But the Throbber IS a cool dad.

• NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972

No wall in Japan

Same as Mao.

Confirmation from @HHusky’s children needed.

No wall in Japan

Same as Mao.

Confirmation from @HHusky’s children needed.
    Coeds with daddy issues. Clearly.

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Rumor is, one of his Daddy Issue Daughters ended up in Pullman in a Sorority
    doogie said:

Rumor is, one of his Daddy Issue Daughters ended up in Pullman in a Sorority

I didn't want to do it. But rulz are rulz.

YKW

• HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,352

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Except the Japanese mounted even more fierce defense as the US troops inched closer.

I used to subscribe to that too. But we wouldn't have had to invade. Not playing violins for Japan; you can't start a war and complain of the consequences. But our bombers were creating mass devastation using just conventional bombs and Japan was prepared to surrender.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

I used to subscribe to that too. But we wouldn't have had to invade. Not playing violins for Japan; you can't start a war and complain of the consequences. But our bombers were creating mass devastation using just conventional bombs and Japan was prepared to surrender.
    Source?
    HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

No they weren’t. They were crippled, but far from ready to surrender.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

As I recall, certain military elements threatened a coup to stop surrender.

HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

As I recall, certain military elements threatened a coup to stop surrender.
    The Japanese Imperial Army was much more extreme w/r/t Bushido code than the Navy. Without checking, I’d assume that any coup attempt originated there.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,352

HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

USMChawk said:

Houhusky said:

Indeed. POTD

What won WW2, SlowTommy?

Source?
    There were feelers by Japan to negotiate a peace as early as 1944 and surrender had plainly been offered by June 1945. It's not seriously disputed now and you can find it discussed in multiple histories. We ended up leaving the Emperor in place anyway, which was really the only condition the Japanese had sought .

I'm not bashing Truman. Like I say, they are the ones who attacked Pearl Harbor and the atomic bomb was probably only somewhat more cruel than our virtually unopposed bombing using conventional weapons. But Japan had offered surrender. Both Halsey and Eisenhower believed our use of the atomic bomb was entirely unnecessary.