Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Massive and frequent testing is our only way out of this

Comments

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,081
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    dflea said:

Bob_C said:

The hospital system isn't and was never going to be overwhelmed.

Now it seems like it’s shifted to a narrative that not one more person can die, doesn’t matter what that costs.

We were lied to about the capacity issues being real, but at least that early narrative had some semblance of logic from a business and resources perspective.

Mass testing is fucking stupid and isn’t going to happen. It’s totally unexecutable and not necessary, targeted sampling is enough.
    lol

We put a man on the moon, can't pull off widespread testing.

Sure thing.

Business leaders told Trump mass testing is critical. Bulletin board Bob_C says it isn't, not even possible.

Take you pick
    The logistics are insane, comparing a long lead time project to this is dumb.

If people were at work it could’ve actually been run through employers in a semi efficient manner. Too late there, everyone has been sent home.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bob_C said:

dflea said:

Bob_C said:

The hospital system isn't and was never going to be overwhelmed.

Now it seems like it’s shifted to a narrative that not one more person can die, doesn’t matter what that costs.

We were lied to about the capacity issues being real, but at least that early narrative had some semblance of logic from a business and resources perspective.

Mass testing is fucking stupid and isn’t going to happen. It’s totally unexecutable and not necessary, targeted sampling is enough.
    lol

We put a man on the moon, can't pull off widespread testing.

Sure thing.

Business leaders told Trump mass testing is critical. Bulletin board Bob_C says it isn't, not even possible.

Take you pick
    The logistics are insane, comparing a long lead time project to this is dumb.

If people were at work it could’ve actually been run through employers in a semi efficient manner. Too late there, everyone has been sent home.
    You're not wrong. It would require a staggering reallocation of resources. New labs would either need to be converted or straight up built. The current infrastructure is not there.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

BayDawg said:

Swaye said:

There is another option here besides mass testing, or continual rolling shutdowns.

Let. People. Die. Get. On. With. Life.

Herd immunity works er'y tim. Let's just blow the whistle and play some ball. Will people die? Yep. Get over it. Vaccine will be out soon. Even with vaccines flu kills 40K per year. Oh well. Nobody is hand wringing over that.

If only 40,000 people die from this, you are 100% correct. But without a vaccine or mitigation the death number would probably be close to a million. People won't stomach that. Right or wrong, perception is reality.
    If a million would die then I agree, some type of targeted mitigation is required. The issue is, I am not convinced a million would die. I do not think we have accurate statistics to support that assertion.
    The problem is that we don't have accurate statistics that give us any way of estimating what the unknown variable is - how many people would die if we let the virus run its course with no intervention?

It could be small, it could be massive. Most people I see trying to guess fall neatly into one of the two camps based on their ideology. A coincidence I'm sure. Widespread testing gives us a much clearer answer and puts an end to this fucktarded partisan guessing game.
    I was saying three weeks ago let's do some random sample testing. I don't even think it needs to be huge numbers. I am no expert but my guess is 50K tests spread between rural and city dwellers dispersed in all 50 states and we would have a decent model of how infected we really are, and then we could start making some real estimates on mortality rates. I am all for it. Could probably test 50K people in specific locations in a week. Let's get on with it.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What if testing is partisan? Then what? We tested everyone but they could still get it

Politicians love to kick the can down the road and they aren't going out on a limb here. Testing is the latest reason not to open. There will be another one until enough "leaders" have the balls to lead. The second wave!!!!!

What happens when Tom Rinaldi and his piano do a Gameday segment on Jimmy Spitz who went to watch his favorite college football team and DIED

We all know those are the calculations being played out behind closed doors.

• Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I understand what your saying. But people dont look at cancer and covid the same way. You cant cough on me and give me cancer. It's my choice to smoke, drink, eat processed food, etc. I can control whether I do those things.

You are completely missing my take on this. I agree this may be just like the flu. But the general public doesn't know that yet. That is why we need the focus on antibody testing so we can show the population that this was an overreaction. But until then, on paper, the death rate looks way worse than the flu. Yes, the media isn't helping. There is a high percentage of Americans that are prone to fear. The testing to show the statistics are similar to the normal flu will be what makes people relax a bit and it will be easier to get on with life.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,039
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Easier decision if the death numbers weren't wildly wrong.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Swaye said:

BayDawg said:

Swaye said:

There is another option here besides mass testing, or continual rolling shutdowns.

Let. People. Die. Get. On. With. Life.

Herd immunity works er'y tim. Let's just blow the whistle and play some ball. Will people die? Yep. Get over it. Vaccine will be out soon. Even with vaccines flu kills 40K per year. Oh well. Nobody is hand wringing over that.

If only 40,000 people die from this, you are 100% correct. But without a vaccine or mitigation the death number would probably be close to a million. People won't stomach that. Right or wrong, perception is reality.
    If a million would die then I agree, some type of targeted mitigation is required. The issue is, I am not convinced a million would die. I do not think we have accurate statistics to support that assertion.
    The problem is that we don't have accurate statistics that give us any way of estimating what the unknown variable is - how many people would die if we let the virus run its course with no intervention?

It could be small, it could be massive. Most people I see trying to guess fall neatly into one of the two camps based on their ideology. A coincidence I'm sure. Widespread testing gives us a much clearer answer and puts an end to this fucktarded partisan guessing game.
    BayDawg said:

BayDawg said:

The point with testing is to see who has had it. 50 million people get the flu, 50,000 die and life goes on. We need the ANTIBODIES testing so we can eliminate the fear factor and prove that it isn't as deadly as it is being made out to be. If we can prove 25 million people have had it and only 75,000 people died it will go a long way to getting the country back to business as usual. But without that, (and I'm not saying its correct) many are going to be paralyzed with fear and this could drag on to the point of cratering the US as we know it.

The one thing Trump said that I agree with is the cure cant be worse than the disease. It's true, but until it can be shown that the mortality rate is alot less than it appears as of now it's going to be alot more difficult to convince people. It doesn't matter who 're-opens' the economy, ultimately the American people will decide. My opinion is massive antibodies testing is how that can happen.

The fear factor could be eliminated if the media and politicians stopped fear mongering.

Explain to me how this is helping :smile:
    https://youtu.be/o8Fapc0aDaQ
    It's not helping. At all. Again, this isn't political for me. I'm just thinking as an intelligent UW graduate. The fact that this dilemma has become political is really a shame. I think everyone (well, mostly everyone) wants the same thing. And my solution to getting our country back to work is by testing for antibodies on a large scale and showing our citizens that the disease isn't the rampant killer some think it is. And work like hell on a vaccine. Until then there is going to be a big pushback on going back to business as usual. That's not red or blue. It's the fear of not totally knowing what we are up against. I wouldn't consider myself in that crowd, but I will say I do have some of the underlying conditions they are talking about and occasionally it gives me pause.
    I'm a dumb Coug and I work on a floor with about 20 people on it. Haven't missed a day yet. No one has. Social distancing works. They do it here at my work, they do it at the grocery store. They do it at the gas station. They can do it just about everywhere.

Tell me again that why the state that I live in that has probably 1,000 active cases (1600 hundred historical) and 59 deaths, with most over 80 y/o and all with pre conditions in day 52 from 1st patient, needs to lock themselves inside and destroy it's economy.

Can you tell me, as an obvious intelligent UW grad why my state needs to do that.
  • Options
    I think testing results would work. Why dont we freak out about the flu? Because we know the statistics. And accept them. I think it is important to do the same with this. And if we do the media can find something else to sensationalize.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    T
    BayDawg said:

I think testing results would work. Why dont we freak out about the flu? Because we know the statistics. And accept them. I think it is important to do the same with this. And if we do the media can find something else to sensationalize.

You were lying before.

There is nothing intelligent about you. You merely buzz in tone with the rest of the hive.

But the coronabros needed some new blood I guess, so here we are.

That and @GreenRiverGatorz is a pussy who is afraid to bet on himself.
  • Options
    What was I lying about? I haven't really paid attention to you before, but you really are a prick. I'm not even sure what you are talking about.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

BayDawg said:

The point with testing is to see who has had it. 50 million people get the flu, 50,000 die and life goes on. We need the ANTIBODIES testing so we can eliminate the fear factor and prove that it isn't as deadly as it is being made out to be. If we can prove 25 million people have had it and only 75,000 people died it will go a long way to getting the country back to business as usual. But without that, (and I'm not saying its correct) many are going to be paralyzed with fear and this could drag on to the point of cratering the US as we know it.

The one thing Trump said that I agree with is the cure cant be worse than the disease. It's true, but until it can be shown that the mortality rate is alot less than it appears as of now it's going to be alot more difficult to convince people. It doesn't matter who 're-opens' the economy, ultimately the American people will decide. My opinion is massive antibodies testing is how that can happen.

The fear factor could be eliminated if the media and politicians stopped fear mongering.

Explain to me how this is helping :smile:
    https://youtu.be/o8Fapc0aDaQ
    Yes. Hold back the tide, Mike. Stand there on the beach and hold it back.

Fear mongering is what they do. It's almost all they do. But sure, let's hope they stop now.

You aren't going to scare someone with immunity whether you're CNN or Fox.
    salemcoog said:

T

BayDawg said:

You were lying before.

There is nothing intelligent about you. You merely buzz in tone with the rest of the hive.

But the coronabros needed some new blood I guess, so here we are.

That and @GreenRiverGatorz is a pussy who is afraid to bet on himself.
    Wow. What a gigantic cunt you are. Why don't you drive up here, Sally. I'll gut you like a fish and filet you on my tailgate. The only mudhole you'll have to worry about is the one I throw your fucking carcass in.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2020
    BayDawg said:

What was I lying about? I haven't really paid attention to you before, but you really are a prick. I'm not even sure what you are talking about.

Don't take it personally. Like creep running btp in 2019, I broke salem and he's now reduced to angry babbling.
  • Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,474
    Founders Club

Math, facts, and figures. Numbers, math, facts, etc.

• Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,474
    Founders Club

Our political class were told that there would be no math