Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Massive and frequent testing is our only way out of this

Comments

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,131
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    One development is they’ve realized ventilators are a bad option, I’ve read 70% of people going on them aren’t coming off. they’ve had success with just oxygen and laying on your chest. If it’s true that ventilators aren’t a bottleneck then the capacity of the health system just increased 100x.

Then say everyone over 60 should still quarantine, and start relaxing measures to get people back to work.

They still need to get testing capacity up 10-100x which seems to be stalling out at 150k a day.

Where is the results of that Stanford antibody test?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    And just like that, Greenriver joins the ranks of the coronabros.

Everyone knows that the cases are 2 to 3 times what has been reported. The cases don't matter. What matters is hospitalization and deaths. And now your vaunted experts are openly lying about deaths, padding the stats to try to save the hospitals that they thought were saving from overload but are only bankrupting.

You have joined the ranks of the idiots that think we will get this down to 0 cases. "Cuz derp, Look at China, they don't have any cases, derp, And if we can't, derp, get to zero cases, derp, we need to stay shut down, derp until we have a vaccine, derp"

Guess what? We have vaccines for SARS 1, H1N1 and all of the other flus. And guess what, they come back and sicken millions of Americans every year and kill anywhere from 25 to 70 thousand per year. Many that took the vaccine.

The I'm gonna trust the coaches strategy is idiotic as the Coaches have done multiple 180's within the last month on this.

My only hope is that those that still have some common sense left, will wiin the day. But it's not looking good, because we are losing more and moar of them everyday.

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The hospital system isn't and was never going to be overwhelmed.

Whether or not that's true is a moot point. The Tug isn't going to be in charge of the pandemic response anytime soon.

What is true is that most of the world is convinced that letting the disease run amok will overwhelm the hospital systems. You can argue about how stupid that is, but no government is going to choose door 1 of "let's go back to normal with no mitigating steps". So the only realistic way out of here is wide scale testing.
    “Most of the world” = politicians who panicked based on faulty computer models and then realized it was perfect opportunity to advance and agenda. See Gavin Newsom for details.
    Okay!

I'm sure your debunking of the "computer models" is a fascinating read, but the fact remains that the world economy isn't going to open back up for business whether you, me, or even fucking Trump thinks it's safe to do so. That's not happening until confidence is restored, and right now testing looks like the fastest way to get that done.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

Business leaders got us here?

No they didn't.

These guys are experts - in business, not health care, and they say we need mass testing. Of course, the Coca Cola CEO got behind new Coke, so maybe they aren't experts.

Is there a problem with mass testing? Is it about muh freedom? Did I miss the case against mass testing? Did Hillary say we need mass testing?

I agree since I didn't say business leaders got us here. I said the experts did

Look Fauci could be a saint selflessly toiling for 40 years as a DC drone but human nature is undefeated. The guy became a rock star over night and now he's planning MLB and NFL games.

Elected leaders may be morons but at least they are elected. I know from 20 years of exchanging posts with you that you have more common sense and brains in your pinky that your average functionary

Give the functionary a taste of power and fame and they are going to want to keep it.

Business leaders are far more in tune with Trump. But they will pussy out too if they think they will get ripped on Twitter

It was easier to get in this than it will be to get out of it

We should keep that in mind.

I don't think any of here are all that far apart. The devil is in the details
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

Everyone knows that the cases are 2 to 3 times what has been reported. The cases don't matter. What matters is hospitalization and deaths. And now your vaunted experts are openly lying about deaths, padding the stats to try to save the hospitals that they thought were saving from overload but are only bankrupting.

You have joined the ranks of the idiots that think we will get this down to 0 cases. "Cuz derp, Look at China, they don't have any cases, derp, And if we can't, derp, get to zero cases, derp, we need to stay shut down, derp until we have a vaccine, derp"

Guess what? We have vaccines for SARS 1, H1N1 and all of the other flus. And guess what, they come back and sicken millions of Americans every year and kill anywhere from 25 to 70 thousand per year. Many that took the vaccine.

The I'm gonna trust the coaches strategy is idiotic as the Coaches have done multiple 180's within the last month on this.

My only hope is that those that still have some common sense left, will wiin the day. But it's not looking good, because we are losing more and moar of them everyday.

I didn't read this, but I disagree.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

Fuck off. Tee it up boys

Massive win for the Field, in my opinion.
    I enjoyed watching the 2019 Masters on Sunday more than I would have the 2020
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

One development is they’ve realized ventilators are a bad option, I’ve read 70% of people going on them aren’t coming off. they’ve had success with just oxygen and laying on your chest. If it’s true that ventilators aren’t a bottleneck then the capacity of the health system just increased 100x.

Then say everyone over 60 should still quarantine, and start relaxing measures to get people back to work.

They still need to get testing capacity up 10-100x which seems to be stalling out at 150k a day.

Where is the results of that Stanford antibody test?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,023
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    One million tests a day starting today and we are done next February. Anyone requiring test e
  • Options
    edited April 2020

salemcoog said:

I didn't read this, but I disagree.
    You shouldn't. You should just probably go back to Facebook. You'll have tons of takers from the scared flock on there.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Whether or not that's true is a moot point. The Tug isn't going to be in charge of the pandemic response anytime soon.

What is true is that most of the world is convinced that letting the disease run amok will overwhelm the hospital systems. You can argue about how stupid that is, but no government is going to choose door 1 of "let's go back to normal with no mitigating steps". So the only realistic way out of here is wide scale testing.
    “Most of the world” = politicians who panicked based on faulty computer models and then realized it was perfect opportunity to advance and agenda. See Gavin Newsom for details.
    Okay!

I'm sure your debunking of the "computer models" is a fascinating read, but the fact remains that the world economy isn't going to open back up for business whether you, me, or even fucking Trump thinks it's safe to do so. That's not happening until confidence is restored, and right now testing looks like the fastest way to get that done.
    Debunking is easy. They've been wrong. Fascinated?
  • Options

Okay!

Debunking is easy. They've been wrong. Fascinated?
    Fascinated, captivated, all of it.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    The point with testing is to see who has had it. 50 million people get the flu, 50,000 die and life goes on. We need the ANTIBODIES testing so we can eliminate the fear factor and prove that it isn't as deadly as it is being made out to be. If we can prove 25 million people have had it and only 75,000 people died it will go a long way to getting the country back to business as usual. But without that, (and I'm not saying its correct) many are going to be paralyzed with fear and this could drag on to the point of cratering the US as we know it.

The one thing Trump said that I agree with is the cure cant be worse than the disease. It's true, but until it can be shown that the mortality rate is alot less than it appears as of now it's going to be alot more difficult to convince people. It doesn't matter who 're-opens' the economy, ultimately the American people will decide. My opinion is massive antibodies testing is how that can happen.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    There is another option here besides mass testing, or continual rolling shutdowns.

Let. People. Die. Get. On. With. Life.

Herd immunity works er'y tim. Let's just blow the whistle and play some ball. Will people die? Yep. Get over it. Vaccine will be out soon. Even with vaccines flu kills 40K per year. Oh well. Nobody is hand wringing over that.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye said:

There is another option here besides mass testing, or continual rolling shutdowns.

Herd immunity works er'y tim. Let's just blow the whistle and play some ball. Will people die? Yep. Get over it. Vaccine will be out soon. Even with vaccines flu kills 40K per year. Oh well. Nobody is hand wringing over that.

If only 40,000 people die from this, you are 100% correct. But without a vaccine or mitigation the death number would probably be close to a million. People won't stomach that. Right or wrong, perception is reality.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don'[t think the evidence is in that the VId is as bad as advertised, hence the shifting sands of time

So far the evidence points to a massive over reaction that took on a life of its own and scared our soft fucking population to death

Now undo it

We've gone from a rational acceptance that loads of people die everyday from all sorts of shit to not one person can die if we re open.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    BayDawg said:

Swaye said:

If only 40,000 people die from this, you are 100% correct. But without a vaccine or mitigation the death number would probably be close to a million. People won't stomach that. Right or wrong, perception is reality.
    If a million would die then I agree, some type of targeted mitigation is required. The issue is, I am not convinced a million would die. I do not think we have accurate statistics to support that assertion.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    BayDawg said:

Swaye said:

Hi there. Anywhere from 25K to 70K people die every year from the virus' that we already have vaccinations for.
    Coronabros make 2 major mistakes.

They still consider epidemiologists, who have been guessing all the way through this, to be experts.

And they think that we can somehow snap our fingers to think that even 2 months from now, our way of life will be remotely the same as it is now.

People have the stomach for mass death once they get used to it.

One only needs to look at the hundreds of thousands that die from cancer here in America. If people really wanted to DO SOMETHING!!! They would demand that tobacco products and all of the BS that is put in our food be BANNED. No warning. Gone.

But they don't. Because that would involve too much effort. So we will continue to lose over a half million people to cancer each year and not do anything about it.

But because the media and local Governments have told us that we are all going to die from corona, we need to repeal half of the bill of rights and destroy our way of life because we MAY lose what is lost during a bad flu season.

And that's fucked up.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

BayDawg said:

Swaye said:

If a million would die then I agree, some type of targeted mitigation is required. The issue is, I am not convinced a million would die. I do not think we have accurate statistics to support that assertion.
    The problem is that we don't have accurate statistics that give us any way of estimating what the unknown variable is - how many people would die if we let the virus run its course with no intervention?

It could be small, it could be massive. Most people I see trying to guess fall neatly into one of the two camps based on their ideology. A coincidence I'm sure. Widespread testing gives us a much clearer answer and puts an end to this fucktarded partisan guessing game.