Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

For fuck sakes, will one of you smarts convince me otherwise? Corona just a bunch-a-shit. Imagine

Comments

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

But if the tv media had a flu tote board like CNN does in a split screen where every flu death was reported telethon style I'd expect a pretty severe reaction.

if it's not the flu, what is it? right or wrong, most likely wrong, i've been thinking it's best described as a strain of flu.
    Very definitely wrong

Influenza viruses and corona viruses are not related
    May not be related, but they appear to be very similar

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Similarities: COVID-19 and the Flu
    Symptoms

Both cause fever, cough, body aches and fatigue; sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.
    Can be mild or severe, even fatal in rare cases.
    Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.
    A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route (see details below under Differences).
    Both can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear.

Treatment

Neither virus is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.
    Both are treated by addressing symptoms, such as reducing fever. Severe cases may require hospitalization and support such as mechanical ventilation.

Prevention

Both may be prevented by frequent, thorough hand washing, coughing into the crook of your elbow, staying home when sick and limiting contact with people who are infected. Social distancing can limit the spread of COVID-19 in communities.

The BIG SCARY difference between the two is that there is no vaccine for COVID-19.

I'm not pretending to be some smart fuck but it seams to me it's a flu-like illness arguably more contagious than the flu. Telling me I'm wrong does not tell me anything.

It tells you that you're wrong. Influenza and SARS-covid viruses are not related. They can cause similar symptoms, but that does not make them the same.

Covid-19 has a CFR rate probably ten times higher than the seasonal flu, and humans have no natural immunity to it (yet).

This is high school-level biology here. Nothing partisan or expert about it.

To your original question, no. Nobody here will convince you otherwise because you're predisposed to think that this is just the flu. Like most conservatives, you won't give a shit until it hits you personally. At this poont you've been affected by the disruption and not the virus itself, so you have the luxury of bitching about that. I actually hope that the virus doesn't affect you (or anybody else here) so the braintruste here can continue to gleefully complain that it's all a big lib/statist hoax, but sadly I fear that that will not be the case
    You're positing yourself as a bastion of compassion?

As I've said, the one glaring difference between the two is that some doctors are actually dying as a result of treating the infirm. That's unsettling in regards to the big picture.
    I didn't say that I was. I have very little tolerance for militant ignorance. We're all ignorant to some degree. Not all of us are proud of it.

It's also telling that you didn't disagree with me, you merely tried to deflect
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

But if the tv media had a flu tote board like CNN does in a split screen where every flu death was reported telethon style I'd expect a pretty severe reaction.

if it's not the flu, what is it? right or wrong, most likely wrong, i've been thinking it's best described as a strain of flu.
    Very definitely wrong

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Symptoms

Both cause fever, cough, body aches and fatigue; sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.
    Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.
    A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route (see details below under Differences).
    Both can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear.

Treatment

Neither virus is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.
    Both are treated by addressing symptoms, such as reducing fever. Severe cases may require hospitalization and support such as mechanical ventilation.

Prevention

Both may be prevented by frequent, thorough hand washing, coughing into the crook of your elbow, staying home when sick and limiting contact with people who are infected. Social distancing can limit the spread of COVID-19 in communities.

The BIG SCARY difference between the two is that there is no vaccine for COVID-19.

I'm not pretending to be some smart fuck but it seams to me it's a flu-like illness arguably more contagious than the flu. Telling me I'm wrong does not tell me anything.

It tells you that you're wrong. Influenza and SARS-covid viruses are not related. They can cause similar symptoms, but that does not make them the same.

Covid-19 has a CFR rate probably ten times higher than the seasonal flu, and humans have no natural immunity to it (yet).

To your original question, no. Nobody here will convince you otherwise because you're predisposed to think that this is just the flu. Like most conservatives, you won't give a shit until it hits you personally. At this poont you've been affected by the disruption and not the virus itself, so you have the luxury of bitching about that. I actually hope that the virus doesn't affect you (or anybody else here) so the braintruste here can continue to gleefully complain that it's all a big lib/statist hoax, but sadly I fear that that will not be the case
    I can be convinced, my mind can be changed. Happens to me all the tim.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,809
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    There are numerous corona viruses out there this is just a new strain. New strains of the flu every year too. We build immunity and adapt. We have some immunity to corona viruses as they are also part of what we call the common cold.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

Very definitely wrong

Symptoms

Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Treatment

Prevention

You should most definitely listen to a guy doing laundry and posting in his spare tim.

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

Very definitely wrong

Symptoms

Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Treatment

Prevention

You should most definitely listen to a guy doing laundry and posting in his spare tim.

Also a guy whose life pretty much has been unchanged besides being able to dine out at a pretentious restaurant and go to the gym.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,053
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Yo Ute

If what’s happening in NYC doesn’t convince anybody of the dangers of treating this in an indifferent manner, not sure what would

The biggest thing that I see with this is how much more spreadable COVID-19 is. Increasing the volume causes all kinds of problems.

The lack of immunity or tested treatments at this point is obviously a concern ... also why we need to buy time to let our scientists do their jobs

Every where in the country will have different peaks but we’ll get this under control by early summer ... then it becomes a race to get treatments/vaccines before the Fall/Winter as well as figuring out what kind of mitigation steps we can take to further buy time

agree
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,053
    Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

BearsWiin said:

89ute said:

IT'S NOT THE FLU.

Very definitely wrong

Symptoms

Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

Treatment

Prevention

You're positing yourself as a bastion of compassion?

As I've said, the one glaring difference between the two is that some doctors are actually dying as a result of treating the infirm. That's unsettling in regards to the big picture.
    I didn't say that I was. I have very little tolerance for militant ignorance. We're all ignorant to some degree. Not all of us are proud of it.

It's also telling that you didn't disagree with me, you merely tried to deflect
    there you go again
  • Options
    MontlakeBridgeTrollMontlakeBridgeTroll Member Posts: 920
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    FFS if only there were places on the internet besides a football message board where people could learn about science.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    89ute said:

Tequilla said:

Yo Ute

If what’s happening in NYC doesn’t convince anybody of the dangers of treating this in an indifferent manner, not sure what would

The biggest thing that I see with this is how much more spreadable COVID-19 is. Increasing the volume causes all kinds of problems.

The lack of immunity or tested treatments at this point is obviously a concern ... also why we need to buy time to let our scientists do their jobs

Every where in the country will have different peaks but we’ll get this under control by early summer ... then it becomes a race to get treatments/vaccines before the Fall/Winter as well as figuring out what kind of mitigation steps we can take to further buy time

I don't see what's happening in New York being any different than any where else. Yes, we need more data and it's changing every day. I looked at the worldmeter, took the # of cases and # of deaths ratio. I looked at the top 12 states. Here they are by number of cases

NY 1.627
    NJ 1.202
    CA 2.110
    MI 2.410
    MA 0.97
    FL 1.21
    IL 1.41
    WA 4.43 (you guys suck at this)
    LA 4.27
    PA 1.20
    TX 1.35
    GA 3.10

To say to look at New York to be convinced, I see more people = more tests = more deaths. The ratio isn't out of line with the other big corona winners. It sounds scary to say New York has 965 deaths, almost half the US total, OUTTA FUCKING CONTROL SHUT IT DOWN - but it's a numbers game. More people, more cases, more deaths.

I get the concern and I may change my tune in a week but this is getting whipped up outa control. To me, what's happening in New York is no different than what's happening anywhere else.

No one gave a shit about this:

How many people died from h1n1 in the US?
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu.Feb 20, 2020

12K deaths and no one gave a shit. Relatively few people get corona and the fucking country gets shut down. I don't get it.

If this thing gets bigger than the regular flu and pneumonia, wake me up I'll be the first one to call 89ute a stupid fucking jackass.

Won't be long now
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

FFS if only there were places on the internet besides a football message board where people could learn about science.

That would be great. Until then, glad we* have The Tug.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117

Good think he didn’t listen to cryin Chuck.
    Or you and Purp
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,257
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @89ute this thing is potentially more contagious than the flu but ranges around pneumonia in how deadly it is. Neither of those two things is super alarming but put them together and well it's more concerning.

Combine that with an aging population and how rapidly it infects and well, it might only kill 15,000 people in the US but it might do it in a week. All of the sick people will overwhelm the hospitals if it all is within 1 week as well. That will grab headlines regardless.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Ute

I think the case/death ratio can get skewed pretty easily for a number of reasons ... but you’re mixing a leading indicator (cases) with a lagging indicator (deaths)

Yes, part of the numbers in New York is due to sheer volume of more people ... but the fear is the contagious nature of passing things on and that the NYC area kinda took things slow early and there is risk to overwhelming the system.

I hope we look back on this and think we overplayed the hand for a number of reasons ...
  • Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    The experts don’t know what it is. It’s like the flu and can take over someone quickly within a matter of hours, young and old, or may have mild symptoms, depending on that persons immune system at the time or age or pre-existing conditions...

I’m not freaking out about it myself, but it needs to be taken seriously, seriously. It may not be what happens to someone here where they wind up on a ventilator, but who may be affected from someone and then pass it on. Seems to be a lot more contagious than the regular flu. Not only may it put your parents or grandparents in jeopardy fighting for their lives if a person contracted this and spread it to others, it inundates hospitals and critical care beds to where there is no room for these poor folks, much less others with everyday medical circumstances requiring critical care.

When every hospital goes on “diversion” meaning no critical care beds in your area and then some other unforeseen medical emergency may happen upon you or a loved one and they say we have no beds, try another, it jams up the system and may be fucked. Much less the folks trying to take care of the sick and then they get affected and no help.

In other words, and I know it’s cliche, but flatten the outbreak and try not to overwhelm medical facilities with this shit because flu is out there as well and every day medical emergencies that require attention.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The other benefit to attending the curve is that we are buying time for solutions to emerge
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

@89ute this thing is potentially more contagious than the flu but ranges around pneumonia in how deadly it is. Neither of those two things is super alarming but put them together and well it's more concerning.

Combine that with an aging population and how rapidly it infects and well, it might only kill 15,000 people in the US but it might do it in a week. All of the sick people will overwhelm the hospitals if it all is within 1 week as well. That will grab headlines regardless.

Study just published in Germany shows that its much more contagious. The virus is shedding very early and in yuge volumes which makes it much harder to contain.

They compared it to SARS which reached its peak infectious period later in the cycle when the illness moved deep into the lungs. covid 19 seems to reach peak shed earlier while still in upper respiratory. At its peak covid 19 is shedding 1,000 times more virus than SARS patients were emitting at peak shed...this ain’t the flu.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    If we had a mainstream media and politicians with any credibility, there would be way less confusion and arguing over it. It's been politicized like everything else. People on both extremes are obnoxious and really full of shit and histrionics. Meanwhile we're way more in debt thanks to the hysteria and shutdown of most of the country.