Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The downfall of Western Civ

Comments

• Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye said:

Seattle is lost. Has been for a long tim.

The hinterlands of Virginia and North Carolina (before it’s imminent loss too) is where trump can spark the needed rejuvenation.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,138
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

HHusky said:

My kindergartner starts transgender studies next week. According to Seattle Public Schools, kids by the age of 5 or 6 can have sorted out their preferred gender identity. And as a result, their classmates - who are just learning how to read and write mind you - need to learn the proper pronouns to use.

Are you going to push back?
    I might. I'm struggling with the response, however. Look, all I care about at this age is that my kid is a good human and treats hit classmates with respect. Follow the Golden Rule. But how the fuck is a 5.5 year old supposed to start processing transgender issues? Fucking Christ...
    Part of being a good human and treating others with respect is learning about differences.

I don't get the worry here. Are you concerned your son will want to be be trans because he learns about it in school?
    No, I'm not worried about my kid wanting to be trans and I'm not pulling my kid from class that day. My family respects differences just fine (e.g., be a best man at a same sex wedding -before it was legal - and then pop off). But my objection is the age they are trying to teach this shit to kids. They're fucking 5 or 6 depending - how are they supposed to process this information?
    Holy crap. It's only part of the curriculum for one day? I don't get the pearl clutching.

We spent months on the metric system in elementary school.
    It may be harmless, but one day isn't going to accomplish anything either. Meanwhile, it just creates another opportunity to bash public education that amounts to an unforced error.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,762
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

HHusky said:

My kindergartner starts transgender studies next week. According to Seattle Public Schools, kids by the age of 5 or 6 can have sorted out their preferred gender identity. And as a result, their classmates - who are just learning how to read and write mind you - need to learn the proper pronouns to use.

I might. I'm struggling with the response, however. Look, all I care about at this age is that my kid is a good human and treats hit classmates with respect. Follow the Golden Rule. But how the fuck is a 5.5 year old supposed to start processing transgender issues? Fucking Christ...
    Part of being a good human and treating others with respect is learning about differences.

I don't get the worry here. Are you concerned your son will want to be be trans because he learns about it in school?
    No, I'm not worried about my kid wanting to be trans and I'm not pulling my kid from class that day. My family respects differences just fine (e.g., be a best man at a same sex wedding -before it was legal - and then pop off). But my objection is the age they are trying to teach this shit to kids. They're fucking 5 or 6 depending - how are they supposed to process this information?
    Holy crap. It's only part of the curriculum for one day? I don't get the pearl clutching.

We spent months on the metric system in elementary school.
    Again: what is the point of this curriculum at age 5/6? I don't get its importance at this point in a child's development.
    It isn't important. It is another chance for the liberal education elites to pat themselves on the back and virtue signal to all their low rent liberal retard friends who make 50K a year about how woke they are. The CirrhosisBros love this shit.
    Personally I think it's just another way to weaken, divide and destroy the moral and social fabric of our nation. We are dealing with one worlders who wish to dissolve our country by any means necessary.

• Options
    DugdawgDugdawg Member Posts: 308
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I have recently received several business emails with a line below the signature that says "Pronouns: She, Her, Hers".....(or similar). Helpful I guess? I was just thankful that (we) are still using pronouns I recognize.

It's a brave new world
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2019
    Its not just Seattle...had a relative who had to deal with something similar in the Midwest. They hired 2 transgendered teachers, one of which was a kindergarten teacher, and then put the entire kindergarten class through some sort of day-long transgender awareness training thing without telling the parents until afterwards. Needless to say the parents weren't real happy...

Texas seems to be safe so far, but we'll see how long that lasts...
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,138
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Dugdawg said:

I have recently received several business emails with a line below the signature that says "Pronouns: She, Her, Hers".....(or similar). Helpful I guess? I was just thankful that (we) are still using pronouns I recognize.

It's a brave new world

I don't want to give unintended offense--my offensiveness is usually intended. But I'm not nimble enough with grammar to live in this world.
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

HHusky said:

This is my biggest fear currently... how are the schools going to teach my kids. YellowSnow, my kids would be out of there. We, as parents, certainly are responsible for raising our children but when it comes to a school providing poor education to my kids 7-8 hours a day, they are out of there. Transgender Studies, that's bull shit. It should be bundled in to Psychology and mental illness, which I don't remember taking until I was in college and possibly a chapter in HS. Did that change how I treated people, hell no, but it certainly spared me from putting irrational and unnecessary doubt in my head (and fellow students) that could lead me to a suicide attempt rate of 40%.

If you don't fight, nobody will, and they will push their agenda on our poor children and do their best to shape them how they desire, not how a traditional childhood development should be.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

HHusky said:

My only advice is that it's a golden opportunity for the kids to learn to question authority and that not everything they are taught in school is factual.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,762
    I put my kids in private school until high school. Avoids many problems but it ain't cheap.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019
    FYI: Just mentioned this to my wife (former Seattle area teacher). Her reaction; What the fuck are they doing over there?! When we taught sex-ed the parents were allowed to request that their child didn't attend and they were able to go to the library during that time.

YellowSnow; Looks like your kiddo needs some library time. Make it happen!
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    As someone currently in the education system, there was not this effort when I was in kindergarten some 13 or so years ago.

That being said, we only started really speaking about these issues ~6th grade ish, at the point where kids start to become capable of really generating their own opinions, so we could have discussion that weren't just our parents' opinions.

Now in high school we have social justice day and allies club and LGBTQ+ club and diversity club and affinity group clubs and so on. It's come on pretty fast.

To the kids in the system, it's no big deal and it's just part of life now that we should accept people for who they are, but I get the viewpoint of adults wondering why the fuck a country 27th in education is teaching these things.

For example, my godfather's middle child identifies as non-binary. I'm used to that being acceptable, but my mother who went to a Catholic high school 30 years ago could not stop calling them "her" no matter how hard she tried. It's been a very rapid generational shift.

Note: I also go to a school very much in the Seattle bubble, so there's that to consider. I'm sure this is more an elite private school thing than people think.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I'm usually not big on the "___________ is an agenda" stuff but the only reason you teach 5 year olds about transgender issues is if you have an agenda.

They are indoctrinating these kids as fast as they can.

Scary shit.

Anything 'sexual' should be held off until at least 6th grade. And you are correct, introducing this to 5/6 yos is only done when you have an agenda.

"Let's talk about which letter this is.... yup, that's an A. Great job, class. Now, do we all know about the spectrum of genders that a person can have and how today's society is attacking the bad bad traditional values that hurt you so very badly."
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

As someone currently in the education system, there was not this effort when I was in kindergarten some 13 or so years ago.

That being said, we only started really speaking about these issues ~6th grade ish, at the point where kids start to become capable of really generating their own opinions, so we could have discussion that weren't just our parents' opinions.

Now in high school we have social justice day and allies club and LGBTQ+ club and diversity club and affinity group clubs and so on. It's come on pretty fast.

To the kids in the system, it's no big deal and it's just part of life now that we should accept people for who they are, but I get the viewpoint of adults wondering why the fuck a country 27th in education is teaching these things.

For example, my godfather's middle child identifies as non-binary. I'm used to that being acceptable, but my mother who went to a Catholic high school 30 years ago could not stop calling them "her" no matter how hard she tried. It's been a very rapid generational shift.

Note: I also go to a school very much in the Seattle bubble, so there's that to consider. I'm sure this is more an elite private school thing than people think.

The think that's missing in dividing people into groups and saying "diversity is our strength" is that in the USA unity has been our strength. E Pluribus Enum. That doesn't mean people lose their identity, far from it. The identity of the individual is (or should be) above the collective.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Postal91 said:

dnc said:

I'm usually not big on the "___________ is an agenda" stuff but the only reason you teach 5 year olds about transgender issues is if you have an agenda.

They are indoctrinating these kids as fast as they can.

Scary shit.

Anything 'sexual' should be held off until at least 6th grade. And you are correct, introducing this to 5/6 yos is only done when you have an agenda.

"Let's talk about which letter this is.... yup, that's an A. Great job, class. Now, do we all know about the spectrum of genders that a person can have and how today's society is attacking the bad bad traditional values that hurt you so very badly."
    It's not sex, it's gender!

(yr, yk)