Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Cooper McDonald, 2020 3* LB, Justin (Northwest), TX (Committed)

Comments

• BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    edited November 2019
    chuck said:

I guess McDonald is fucked because these coaches offered Manu. Fucking stupid. I like this place but the herd mentality is bs

Have you even looked at his highlights? He's the textbook JAG. You're only basis for defending him and his offer is that kyler manu alone is not evidence that he sucks. Do you have anything else?
    Textbook jag? Whatever. We are both just a couple of fans, I really dont trust your evaluation just like you really shouldn't trust mine

Sounds like you should maybe go root for Alabama or Clemson if you only want blue chip recruits
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    I dont know how anyone could watch his film and not be a bit underwhelmed if he is supposed to play either OLB/Rush end or ILB in UWs system.

He seems to like blocking and hitting people, prime WTE convert
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

chuck said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Swaye said:

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that no one on this bored has the slightest idea of how to evaluate high school football film

Like I said, I trust the coaches. They like this kid. Good enough for me. I don't give two shits that his other offers are from midlevel big 12 schools
    I'm just not sure how we can say "I trust the corches" when we have arrived at year 6 with Manu and Wellington as our starting ILBs. Perhaps we shouldn't be trusting the coaches with this position group. They haven't done fuckall to earn it.
    Wellington has all the physical talent, the kid just can't put it together upstairs. We are missing Beavers, Eifler, and Kaho would probably be getting significant playing time. Shit happens. Linebacker core has been depleted due to various reasons. It doesn't mean the coaches aren't good at evaluating talent. It is beyond stupid that people keep bringing up Manu when talking about this kid.
    These same coaches recruited Manu. It brings their evaluation of lbs into question, just like the other failures that led to Wellington and Manu being the best inside linebackers on the roster. That's the point.
    @chuck thanks for providing my answer for me
    It's so weird. I'm more doogish than many/most here. I'm quick to praise coaches, slow to turn on them, and eager for signs that they're improving after I have turned on them. It boggles my mind that anyone could be defensive of the staff over the dumpster fire that is our* ILB situation though.

This staff has exactly one success at the position (BBK). The other good ILBs were Sark recruits. The quality looks decent among the first and second year players, but far from stellar or they would be having an impact already.

I'm in the "they suck until they dont" camp with regards to those responsible for linebackers. It's an easy place to be when they have so clearly sucked so far and the sample size, this being year six, is not a small one.
    I guess reading comprehension isn't a big deal here. I've stated multiple times that we shouldn't write off Cooper McDonald because of Kyler Manu. I don't get why that is so hard to get. I'm not defending our coaches, I am defending their talent evaluations. So they struck out with Manu, oh well. The same people on here wishing we had Nick Bolton were pissing and moaning that we offered some 3 star from Texas.

We will just have to wait and see how this kid does.
    I must be knew hear
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744

chuck said:

Swaye said:

chuck said:

Swaye said:

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that no one on this bored has the slightest idea of how to evaluate high school football film

Like I said, I trust the coaches. They like this kid. Good enough for me. I don't give two shits that his other offers are from midlevel big 12 schools
    I'm just not sure how we can say "I trust the corches" when we have arrived at year 6 with Manu and Wellington as our starting ILBs. Perhaps we shouldn't be trusting the coaches with this position group. They haven't done fuckall to earn it.
    Wellington has all the physical talent, the kid just can't put it together upstairs. We are missing Beavers, Eifler, and Kaho would probably be getting significant playing time. Shit happens. Linebacker core has been depleted due to various reasons. It doesn't mean the coaches aren't good at evaluating talent. It is beyond stupid that people keep bringing up Manu when talking about this kid.
    These same coaches recruited Manu. It brings their evaluation of lbs into question, just like the other failures that led to Wellington and Manu being the best inside linebackers on the roster. That's the point.
    @chuck thanks for providing my answer for me
    It's so weird. I'm more doogish than many/most here. I'm quick to praise coaches, slow to turn on them, and eager for signs that they're improving after I have turned on them. It boggles my mind that anyone could be defensive of the staff over the dumpster fire that is our* ILB situation though.

This staff has exactly one success at the position (BBK). The other good ILBs were Sark recruits. The quality looks decent among the first and second year players, but far from stellar or they would be having an impact already.

I'm in the "they suck until they dont" camp with regards to those responsible for linebackers. It's an easy place to be when they have so clearly sucked so far and the sample size, this being year six, is not a small one.
    I guess reading comprehension isn't a big deal here. I've stated multiple times that we shouldn't write off Cooper McDonald because of Kyler Manu. I don't get why that is so hard to get. I'm not defending our coaches, I am defending their talent evaluations. So they struck out with Manu, oh well. The same people on here wishing we had Nick Bolton were pissing and moaning that we offered some 3 star from Texas.

We will just have to wait and see how this kid does.
    Yeah your reading comprehension is awful. Nobody is writing off McDonald because Manu sucks holy shit that is a leap in logic.

I guess nobody can be critical of a coach or recruit ever we will just have to wait and see how our LB situation plays out three years from now.
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    I'm comments need to be approved by mods now? Are you guys hurtin' for Ballz that hard? I would be a piss poor replacement
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I guess McDonald is fucked because these coaches offered Manu. Fucking stupid. I like this place but the herd mentality is bs

Have you even looked at his highlights? He's the textbook JAG. You're only basis for defending him and his offer is that kyler manu alone is not evidence that he sucks. Do you have anything else?
    Textbook jag? Whatever. We are both just a couple of fans, I really dont trust your evaluation just like you really shouldn't trust mine

Sounds like you should maybe go root for Alabama or Clemson if you only want blue chip recruits
    Have you posted an evaluation? I must've missed it.

It doesn't matter if you trust my evaluation. I'm wrong all the time. Everyone who does this is. I like judging prospects and bloviating about it though. It's why I watch their highlights and ahit. Hell it's why I'm here in the first place. Does this seem like an inappropriate place for that to you?

Most of the time I'm pretty optimistic. I'm just not with this one. I'll still root for him to be good though. I dont mind being wrong. I'm good at it as a matter of fact.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

I'm comments need to be approved by mods now? Are you guys hurtin' for Ballz that hard? I would be a piss poor replacement

We didn't single you out. That shit happens all the tim. PM Derek. He has to change some setting. Shit happens to everyone. Vanilla works for us.

I like your dissenting voice. I also like calling you a Doog. This place need conflict to survive. Lord of the Flies and shit.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

We didn't single you out. That shit happens all the tim. PM Derek. He has to change some setting. Shit happens to everyone. Vanilla works for us.

I like your dissenting voice. I also like calling you a Doog. This place need conflict to survive. Lord of the Flies and shit.
    I predict a conciliatory sun dance. I predicted that in December .
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    This thread is aids
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423
    My only LB take is that the coaches need to do everything they can to get David Woodward to grad transfer to us but they definitely won't.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2019

My only LB take is that the coaches need to do everything they can to get David Woodward to grad transfer to us but they definitely won't.

Why would he transfer? He can be a high pick at Utah State. NFL scouts don’t care too much where you go to college. If you can play, you can play.

It would be pretty dumb for him to come to UW and have to learn a new system. You can’t just get guys to transfer just because it sounds good.

On top of that, he’s played 3 years at Utah State. I would bet he’s pretty invested in the program and has goals to accomplish there. Guys that play at an All American level at a school don’t transfer. If he was a FCS player, it would make a little bit more sense. He would have very little to gain by transferring. Sure it would be nice, but it will never happen.
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423

Why would he transfer? He can be a high pick at Utah State. NFL scouts don’t care too much where you go to college. If you can play, you can play.

It would be pretty dumb for him to come to UW and have to learn a new system. You can’t just get guys to transfer just because it sounds good.

On top of that, he’s played 3 years at Utah State. I would bet he’s pretty invested in the program and has goals to accomplish there. Guys that play at an All American level at a school don’t transfer. If he was a FCS player, it would make a little bit more sense. He would have very little to gain by transferring. Sure it would be nice, but it will never happen.
    Showing you can play in a more competitive division and showing you can adapt to a new system would definitely boost his stock, and guys grad transfer to bigger programs all the time. Plus he's from Washington and probably wanted to play here but didn't have an offer.

But yeah that doesn't mean he's gonna come here. He might declare early for the draft to be honest. If our coaches weren't losers they would try to recruit him though.
    edited November 2019

Showing you can play in a more competitive division and showing you can adapt to a new system would definitely boost his stock, and guys grad transfer to bigger programs all the time. Plus he's from Washington and probably wanted to play here but didn't have an offer.

But yeah that doesn't mean he's gonna come here. He might declare early for the draft to be honest. If our coaches weren't losers they would try to recruit him though.
    Learning a new system would potentially harm his stock a lot more than just dominating for Utah State.

Who are these transfers you note? I can’t think of one off the top of my head. Guys normally transfer to a lesser program for playing time. Not the other way around.

Learning a new system would potentially harm his stock a lot more than just dominating for Utah State.

Who are these transfers you note? I can’t think of one off the top of my head. Guys normally transfer to a lesser program for playing time. Not the other way around.
    Maybe he wants to play in meaningful games and try to win a national championship.

Plenty of big grad transfers even ignoring QBs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidching/2019/08/27/25-non-qb-grad-transfers-to-know-as-college-football-season-begins/
    I stand corrected. It does happen more that I thought. This guy at Utah State isn’t coming to UW tho.
  • guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    Is that a sleeveless mock-turtleneck?