Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Johnny Wilson, 2020 5* WR, Calabasas, CA (Offered 7/14/17)

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Going to have to catch up and beat Oregon on this one
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    There ain't no catching up to be had. This is exactly what I already told you guys. It's not "lazy recruiting" when you don't really want the kid like that. This is what happens when you have a coaching staff that completely ignores star ratings and do their own evaluations. Sometimes they completely disagree with the ratings and prefer "3-star" kids (Rome Odunze and Sawyer Racanelli) over an overrated "5-star" kid. Wilson is Brayden Lenius 2.0. Don't know how many times I have to say that for it to sink in. He's not a great WR prospect. I don't care if he goes to Oregon or anywhere else. It's a win for us if a not so good WR or soft TE prospect goes to Oregon and further clogs up their roster. Move on. All I care about is the coaches getting who THEY want. Not who fan boys who don't know shit about football talent want. I get pissed when they whiff on guys they actually want. This isn't one of those instances.
  • Options
    whuggy said:

Tequilla said:

Going to have to catch up and beat Oregon on this one

Says Oregon is recruiting him hardest by far. The words by far are unacceptable to me. The first thing you do in ANY job is put in maximum effort. Forget the race allegations. Lazy allegations might be more appropriate.
    Yes, this is what stood out to me as well

Clearly Oregon's prioritized Wilson.

As to why we haven't recruited as hard who knows ...

It would seem like we liked McMillan better of the two but who knows

One thing that is generally clear with the staff is that when they feel like they aren't in a good position they tend to re-prioritize ... that can be argued whether that's a good/bad thing.
  • Options

There ain't no catching up to be had. This is exactly what I already told you guys. It's not "lazy recruiting" when you don't really want the kid like that. This is what happens when you have a coaching staff that completely ignores star ratings and do their own evaluations. Sometimes they completely disagree with the ratings and prefer "3-star" kids (Rome Odunze and Sawyer Racanelli) over an overrated "5-star" kid. Wilson is Brayden Lenius 2.0. Don't know how many times I have to say that for it to sink in. He's not a great WR prospect. I don't care if he goes to Oregon or anywhere else. It's a win for us if a not so good WR or soft TE prospect goes to Oregon and further clogs up their roster. Move on. All I care about is the coaches getting who THEY want. Not who fan boys who don't know shit about football talent want. I get pissed when they whiff on guys they actually want. This isn't one of those instances.

He was offered by uw.
    That doesn't mean shit. How long have you all had to understand that not everybody UW offers is a guy they eventually want to sign. Even with how few offers they put out, they still offer way more kids than they can take. Every year, they offer kids early and then after further evaluation, they cool on some of them and don't want them anymore. It's not a perfect system.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Baseman said:

Thank you Mrs. Peterson and all Trusting Coaches Doogs everywhere.
    I'm not trusting the coaches. I'm trusting what my two eyes tell me when I watch Wilson's film. He sucks. From the very beginning I didn't think he was a WR prospect but a flex TE guy who's a big target with good hands but not athletic enough to play outside and not strong and physical enough to play in-line TE.

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Lol you are a fucking joke
  • Options

Lol you are a fucking joke

I'll be proven right a few years from now, again.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,965
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

One of the rare posts where I agree with you on this topic ...

It's been clear for years that Pete and Co. don't give a shit about star ratings and what people like Biggins think of the talent. If those guys were really good at talent evaluation you could argue that they'd be sitting in some football program.

Ultimately in the end, what really matters is that UW signs the best class possible. The ultimate judge of how they've done will be on the field. End of story.
    You are killing it with rationality tonight, Teq. It's a rare thing to see in here and it's making me rock hard.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Thank you Mrs. Peterson and all Trusting Coaches Doogs everywhere.
    It’s fine not to trust it and think we are blowing it by not recruiting Wilson harder. That said, I don’t think it’s because UW coaches are lazy. There is a reason.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Brayden Lenius' biggest problem is that he didn't know how to use his size. He was soft and afraid of contact (see his 3rd down play against Boise where he could've fallen forward for a first down and didn't). If you can't separate regularly, you have to be physical... and he wasn't.

Meanwhile Wilson's highlights show that he's willing to use his size to fight for extra yards and box out defenders for contested throws. He'll probably have trouble getting regular separation, but his physicality can make up for that.

Texas made Lil'Jordan Humphrey a weapon on 3rd down and in the redzone using exact skill set. He ended up undrafted because of his limitations, but he was still able to be a monster in a college offense that used him properly.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

He was offered by uw.
    That doesn't mean shit. How long have you all had to understand that not everybody UW offers is a guy they eventually want to sign. Even with how few offers they put out, they still offer way more kids than they can take. Every year, they offer kids early and then after further evaluation, they cool on some of them and don't want them anymore. It's not a perfect system.
    What the fuck are you talking about? Half this board is bitching about how slow we are to offer. But now we prematurely offered Wilson and are back pedaling?

Since you appear to be such a student of his film, what did coaches see in his freshman year film that didn't translate to his sophomore and junior seasons? Where did he fall off?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that we just stopped recruiting everybody in the Spring ... that makes little sense
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

I'm pretty sure that we just stopped recruiting everybody in the Spring ... that makes little sense

No way Teq responding to one of my posts trying to start some shit. Shocked. Never happens.