Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Pete would’ve had two additional undefeated seasons if not for kicking woes. Certainly his Achilles’ heel. That and his offense lol?

This is silly. What elite coach or team wouldn't have won more accolades if they made all their field goals?

Some coaches have more well documented issues with field goal kicking than others. Special teams have fucked up for Petersen far more than you would expect for such a disciplined program.

HTFH
    Prove it.

You have to start off by establishing what would be expected. What is the average FG% in NCAA? Broken down by different distances? On game winning kicks?

You can't just say oh hey, CP lost two games 10 years ago on missed FGs and then one last year ergo, well documented issue.

I'll let you do the analysis on the statistics, Chest. Petersen has had shit special teams for a while, you don't need to do a linear regression on the hypotenusal deviations to recognize it.
    No, that isn't how it works.

You're making the claim- you produce the evidence.
    It actually is how it works. The consensus is that special teams is not a strong point for the program. You can tell by watching the fucking games. The lone bright spot was Pettis returning kicks.
    Your original claim was that CP's FG kickers always suck.

Now you've changed from FG kicking to special teams holistically and from historically to just at UW?

This isn't a thesis paper or a court of law you fucking dweeb
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,543 Founders Club

For as process oriented as Peterlips is, every day a grind, every minute a war to get better and better at the sequential order of every fucking breath, every hour a gift from the allmighty to improve and repeat methods and fine tune details, or whatever his philosophy is...

Why do his kickers suck so much? Even at Boise they lost him games.

Kickers are a fucking crapshoot. Nobody at the college level has any idea how to rate them or recruit them. You can identity who has a strong leg but nobody has figured out how to identify who can handle the pressure in game situations. You get a kid with a strong leg and hope he has the sack to handle the pressure, and the mental fortitude to push through it when he chinevitably blows a game.

Pete keeps whiffing. Hopefully Horn can break the streak. He certainly has the leg.

Based on his high school performance, I'm not optimistic.
    I fondly remember FSU recruiting the #1 kicker in the nation to fix their wide right woes, and him sucking too.

Also when UW got Randy Jones, the #1 kicker in the nation who kicked a 59 yard FG for Ferris. He also sucked balls.
    Randy Jones punted one into Center's ass at ATM
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,710 Swaye's Wigwam

For as process oriented as Peterlips is, every day a grind, every minute a war to get better and better at the sequential order of every fucking breath, every hour a gift from the allmighty to improve and repeat methods and fine tune details, or whatever his philosophy is...

Why do his kickers suck so much? Even at Boise they lost him games.

Kickers are a fucking crapshoot. Nobody at the college level has any idea how to rate them or recruit them. You can identity who has a strong leg but nobody has figured out how to identify who can handle the pressure in game situations. You get a kid with a strong leg and hope he has the sack to handle the pressure, and the mental fortitude to push through it when he chinevitably blows a game.

Pete keeps whiffing. Hopefully Horn can break the streak. He certainly has the leg.

Based on his high school performance, I'm not optimistic.
    I fondly remember FSU recruiting the #1 kicker in the nation to fix their wide right woes, and him sucking too.

Also when UW got Randy Jones, the #1 kicker in the nation who kicked a 59 yard FG for Ferris. He also sucked balls.
    Randy Jones punted one into Center's ass at ATM
    Race was there
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739

From Caple:

After redshirting in 2017, Bynum had offseason surgery to repair the injured thumb on his right hand, and entered his redshirt freshman season “a little timid … kind of just laying low, staying behind.” He appeared in 10 games but did not record a statistic.

“I was just thinking too much about trying to catch the ball, overcompensating, because I had surgery on my thumb,” Bynum said. “Now, I feel like I’ve got my hand strength back, so now I’m catching the ball like (it’s) second nature and not thinking too much.”

Bynum said new receivers coach Junior Adams emphasizes exactly that: Just go play.

“Basically, he’s told us to have fun,” Bynum said. “Don’t go out there trying to think too much. Go out there and, like, talk stuff against the defense. Just have fun. We’re not out there just lackadaisical. It’s actually a fun energy.

“He’s telling us to make plays and not just be like mannequins. He wants us to have energy and have something to us, a little edge about us.”

Other notes:

- Haener threw a pick six to Taylor, and near interceptions to Wellington and Cam Williams.

- Haener also threw the only TD of the day to Ozzy! who beat Cook on a 48 yard TD.

- Eason went 4-8 with the 1 offense against the 1 defense, drew 2 offsides, and the highlight was a bullet to Otton with Gordon draped on him.

- Bynum listed Spiker as the young receiver who will impress everyone this year.

- 1st team defense was CB Taylor, CB Gordon, NB Molden, S McKinney, S Bryant, ILB Wellington, ILB Manu, OLB Tryon, OLB Bowman, and then a constant rotation of 2 down linemen featuring pairings of Levi and Clark, Scrempos and Tuli, Bronson and Taki.

- Tafisi and Sirmon are always a pair for the 2nd team ILB, and Ulofoshio took reps outside again.

- 1st team OL was Trey, Watty, Norgaard, Jax, and Hilbers. Harris not hurt, just getting others work since no one has experience.

- 2nd team OL was Mele, Ale, Luciano, Roberts, Bain.

- In addition to Fuller/Jones/Pounds, Players held out were: Bandes, Rice, ZTF, Irvin, Ah You, and Paama.

- Henry made both FG attempts with extra leg.

@FKA_Mousecop , 2nd to last note. All the way back on the 8th.
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    Better quick kicker gets the job whos got the scoop?
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Caple has a piece where he talked about all the position groups. Basic shit so I’m going to ignore it. But he did list players who consistently stood out.

I’ll leave you with the following names of players who stood out this spring on a consistent basis, from my view. In no particular order: tight end Hunter Bryant, defensive lineman Taki Taimani, linebacker Brandon Wellington, outside linebacker Joe Tryon, outside linebacker Ariel Ngata, safety Cameron Williams, defensive back Elijah Molden, cornerback Keith Taylor, cornerback Kyler Gordon, defensive lineman Benning Potoa’e, wide receiver Austin Osborne, running back Richard Newton, left tackle Trey Adams and linebacker Edefuan Ulofoshio.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,710 Swaye's Wigwam
    One of the main takeaways from the spring is the number of players playing multiple positions on defense: Bryant lined up at safety, Ngata played ILB and OLB, Potoa'e lined up at DT and OLB, lots of different combinations for starting DL.

With 9 starters gone, it shouldn't be surprising to see the coaching staff experiment with these combinations to find the best 11 players for all the different situations that defenses face. Plus, they have film of everyone playing these different positions now.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Yankoff is transferring so is sirmon.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Yankoff is transferring so is sirmon.

Portalling = / = transferring
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited June 2019
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

poof

nybe
    nor my worst if we're being honest

• FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744

This isn't a thesis paper or a court of law you fucking dweeb.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

This isn't a thesis paper or a court of law you fucking dweeb.

Im 81% this is a comment I made recently hahaha.