Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,617
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I keep wondering where he'll be best used. Guys like this need some opportunity to freelance if you want to maximize opportunity to make game changing plays. Isolating him outside limits that to an extent. He seems made for nickel or free safety.

Maybe not though. Shutting down one side of the field and being somewhat anonymous as a CB is pretty good too.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

I keep wondering where he'll be best used. Guys like this need some opportunity to freelance if you want to maximize opportunity to make game changing plays. Isolating him outside limits that to an extent. He seems made for nickel or free safety.

Maybe not though. Shutting down one side of the field and being somewhat anonymous as a CB is pretty good too.

Athletic corners remove a huge chunk of the field that you can operate on. Barry Sanders and Deion Sanders 2.0. If he really is that good put him there and he will get a bunch of turnovers before his reputation precedes him.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    How has using Kyler sparingly as a two way player not been considered?
  • Options
    chuck said:

Emoterman said:

I think he's had some reps fielding punts.

You mean offense though I suppose. I'd rather they just find receivers with equal abilities. Nacua and McMillan, Pettis and Ross fit the mold. It's awful 2019 out here for 2020 or 2016 though, so maybe you have a legit question.
    The last place I'd want him is fielding punts, frankly.

And while I definitely agree with your sentiment of "just find real receivers" and generally think two way players are folly, I'm not sure there are many athletes that are Kyler's equal, at any position. That video of him skywalking way back when in his recruiting thread has had me dreaming on him ever since, and it just occurred to me you want players like that on the field at much as possible.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Emoterman said:

chuck said:

Emoterman said:

You mean offense though I suppose. I'd rather they just find receivers with equal abilities. Nacua and McMillan, Pettis and Ross fit the mold. It's awful 2019 out here for 2020 or 2016 though, so maybe you have a legit question.

And while I definitely agree with your sentiment of "just find real receivers" and generally think two way players are folly, I'm not sure there are many athletes that are Kyler's equal, at any position. That video of him skywalking way back when in his recruiting thread has had me dreaming on him ever since, and it just occurred to me you want players like that on the field at much as possible.
    Why wouldn't you want him returning punts?

The dropoff from Pettis to Fuller should be all anyone needs to know about the value of the position.

Don't play scared. Let your playmakers make plays.
    Hell I would be happy with a returner that catches the punt on the run and doesn't let it bounce. Nothing worse than watching field position lost on a rolling punt.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Emoterman said:

chuck said:

Emoterman said:

The dropoff from Pettis to Fuller should be all anyone needs to know about the value of the position.

Sure, if he proves to be Pettis-esque at punt returning, that's a no brainier. But if he's JAGy at it, I'd rather put a much lower premium player in that role than what appears to be a generational athlete.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Emoterman said:

dnc said:

Emoterman said:

chuck said:

Emoterman said:

Sure, if he proves to be Pettis-esque at punt returning, that's a no brainier. But if he's JAGy at it, I'd rather put a much lower premium player in that role than what appears to be a generational athlete.
    Why would you expect a generational athlete to be JAGy at it?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    dnc said:

Emoterman said:

dnc said:

Emoterman said:

chuck said:

Emoterman said:

Why would you expect a generational athlete to be JAGy at it?
    Because it's my default belief about any player regarding punt returning. It seems unpredictable bordering on unknowable what makes a good punt returner. Pete is supposed to be a punt return savant, and somehow Aaron "Fair Catch" Fuller was his enlightened selection?

I'll admit my initial response was flippant, especially in light of my started sentiment of getting him maximally on the field. But, unless he's a revelation at punt returning, even if he is marginally the best option, I think it would be better to risk Sean McGrew/Trey Lowe depth chart fodder.