Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

5th year senior walk-on John Clark has been paired with Levi in the 1s throughout spring and projects to be a starter at DT.

If he and Ulofoshio end up being starters, that means 3 of 11 starters this year started off as walk-ons (with Myles Bryant being the 3rd). How is that even possible?

Last season opener against Auburn, Wambaugh, Ryan Bowman, and Myles Bryant all started. That's also three. The walk-on program Petersen is building is pretty damned impressive.
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

We done freaking out over fucking spring ball yet?

Not until The Haeneous One's last pass of Spring Fling falls into the hands of the opposing chrome team...

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,501
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Fuck John Clark, and fuck Jake Wambaugh. I’m sure they work hard and are good teammates but you’re not beating good teams with players like that in critical positions. Or anywhere, really.

Nebrasky won a bunch of titles with classy walkons contributing
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    RealRhino said:

I'm concerned that Eason thinks accuracy and decision-making are "the little things" about playing quarterback.

Yikes. I mean really...double yikes.
  • Options
    PetermanPeterman Member Posts: 675
    5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary

RealRhino said:

I'm concerned that Eason thinks accuracy and decision-making are "the little things" about playing quarterback.

Big arm and big dick are the important things
    Yep, "cerebral" QBs excell in the NFL. Big dick QBs ball out in the college game
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited April 2019

5th year senior walk-on John Clark has been paired with Levi in the 1s throughout spring and projects to be a starter at DT.

If he and Ulofoshio end up being starters, that means 3 of 11 starters this year started off as walk-ons (with Myles Bryant being the 3rd). How is that even possible?

He's not starting. He'll be a Damion Turpin kind of rotational guy. They randomly start practice with different personnel groupings for the D-line every practice. It means nothing. No way of telling who the real starters will be but right now it seems like Levi and Taki are the top two followed by Tuli and Benning.
  • Options
    BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Since Eason is big like Jake Locker, can we expect him to run over linebackers like Locker used to do?
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,826
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It’s going to be funny AF when all our jag WR’s have 25+ catches this year and go into the nfl as 3rd and 4th options with unimpressive but long careers.

Proving that our WR coaching is aight (fuck you lubbick) and shitsocks ruined the last four years of many more people’s lives than what was first estimated.
  • Options
    bigccbigcc Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2019

Prime cuts from Caple’s piece:

Eason was otherwise solid, too, completing all nine of his pass attempts during 11-on-11 periods, his lone misfire wiped out by an interference penalty against Hampton on a deep attempt to Spiker.

Eason said he’s trying to “improve on the little things — accuracy, decision-making, all that stuff around being a quarterback. I think I’ve done a better job of learning the playbook (throughout spring) and feeling more comfortable in the playbook and executing on plays, so there’s a lot of things that go into it, and I’ve got a lot of things to improve and a lot of things to get better at.”

Haener did throw three interceptions, two of which came during 7-on-7s within a three-play span. The first was picked by Molden on a throw intended for tight end Otton up the seam, and Bryant snagged the second on a pass that sailed over the head of its intended target.

Practice also ended with an interception, when Kyler dove to haul in a Haener pass that had been deflected. Haener threw it on the run, moving to his left, being chased by Bowman.

- Haener made a couple of nice throws after Eason’s bomb, too, but also threw two other passes during team periods that could have been intercepted.

- One of those came during the Cal game, I mean, practice on a throw over the middle intended for Chico that freshman safety Williams read perfectly but couldn’t quite haul in.

-The other came when Hampton secured perfect position on a deep ball up the right sideline but couldn’t secure it.

- Ngata was back at outside linebacker during team periods, while Ulofoshio was back on the inside. They have been rotating all spring. The play after Williams’ near-interception, Ngata got to Haener for what would have been a sack during a live setting.

- Mele still sidelined by an apparent injury, Roberts was at left tackle and Curne at right guard with the No. 2 line.

- For the first time, McKinney was out at starting Safety. The 1’s were Taylor and Gordon at Corner, Molden at Nickel, and Bryant and Williams at Safety. McKinney and Cook took the safety reps with the 2’s with Gilchrist at nickel and Hampton and Bush at corner.

- Sirmon nearly led a touchdown drive working behind the No. 3 offensive line, but Chico fumbled at the 1 on a completion to the 1-yard line. Sirmon made nice throws to Lowe and Bynum on the series.

- Bryant recorded a “sack” of Yankoff to cap Yankoff’s only 11-on-11 series.

- Haener on Eason: “We’re good buddies. There’s no drama or anything going on. It’s a quarterback competition. It’s football. I work as hard as I can. He works as hard as he can. We’re both trying to draw off one another, so it’s good for us.”

- Haener on his beautiful TD to Weaver last fall: “You try to take it in, but I try not to think about that game. A lot of people probably think about that game as my defining moment, but you’ve got to let that go. People (have) got to make mistakes, and you’ve got to go through it, and you’ve got to understand situations and everything and put it in perspective a little bit. So I definitely learned from it, but I don’t think about it a lot.”

- Eason on his controversial approach to throwing to receivers even though they aren’t wide open that UW fans haven’t seen in 4 years: “There’s aspects of that. Our coaches harp on that all the time — giving our receivers a chance, put the spotlight on them. The more of that we do, the better. Especially in spring ball. You get them more opportunities to go make plays.”

Mvp of the thread
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    bigcc said:

I feel like it's lost in the shuffle that we don't have a kicker that can make a fucking 35 yard field goal...

going on what....6 years of losing the special teams battles?
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Meek said:

bigcc said:

I feel like it's lost in the shuffle that we don't have a kicker that can make a fucking 35 yard field goal...

going on what....6 years of losing the special teams battles?
    You would think that Pete would go to Chris sailer's camp personally and recruit kickers.

Goddamn.