Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Ballzruiningthread.gif

To be fair, I think I ruined this one.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

We've only gotten lucky with Cam Williams so far in Spring Practice against our own offense. He's yet to play a down of college ball and even if he's good could still get injured. Sure, Irvin could come in and also be good. Still plenty of unknowns. I think it will all be fine (until maybe we play someone in the playoffs) but it could be better.

Yep, all accurate takes.

But isn't it more fun to swing from one extreme back to the other?
    Yes
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited April 2019

We've only gotten lucky with Cam Williams so far in Spring Practice against our own offense. He's yet to play a down of college ball and even if he's good could still get injured. Sure, Irvin could come in and also be good. Still plenty of unknowns. I think it will all be fine (until maybe we play someone in the playoffs) but it could be better.

The offense certainly didn’t help Lake find the backups meaningful reps last year. When every game is close and you rely on your defense to win, the backups sit. Period.

Starting McKinney for the first time against Ohio State in the Rosebowl was asking to lose. (Fuck you, Rapp.)

Lake is batting at, or near, 1.000, both in recruiting and development.

McKinney and Gilcrest may suck. Saying they do because they couldn’t beat out Rapp or McIntosh is retarded
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I’m still so fucking blown away by all you Cam-sucking Doogs that you’ve completely overlooked the best safety on the West Coast two years ago.

Come fall, Julius Irvin will be starting at safety and will assuage Ballzzz concerns and our respective Brandon McKinney-induced PTSD from the Rose Bowl. Irvin will be the next great Husky safety.

I can’t believe any of you would doubt Jimmy’s recruiting or development.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ballzruiningthread.gif

which one?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Baseman said:

The offense certainly didn’t help Lake find the backups meaningful reps last year. When every game is close and you rely on your defense to win, the backups sit. Period.

Starting McKinney for the first time against Ohio State in the Rosebowl was asking to lose. (Fuck you, Rapp.)

Lake is batting at, or near, 1.000, both in recruiting and development.

McKinney and Gilcrest may suck. Saying they do because they couldn’t beat out Rapp or McIntosh is retarded
    McKinney played a lot last year.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Other notes
    - The UW defense came away with five total takeaways on the morning, beginning with one fumble in the 9-on-7 portion of practice, recovered by Kyler Manu. Three came on Jake Haener interceptions. Elijah Molden and Myles Bryant picked off the junior quarterback in 7-on-7 drills, and Kyler Gordon dove to haul in a deflected throw in 11-on-11s. The most controversial play of the day came during the final session of 11-on-11 drills, when redshirt freshman Jacob Sirmon found Chico McClatcher on a curl route just outside of the end zone. McClatcher turned to dive across the goalline, and had the ball stripped away as he went to ground. The offense wanted a touchdown, the defense had the ball, and the referee ruled McClatcher down, but the airhorn sounded, giving the play to the defense.

- Jacob Eason had maybe the prettiest throw of the spring thus far, hitting Andre Baccellia on a 60-yard bomb down the right sideline for a touchdown.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I think someone else mentioned this before.

Haener gets reps as a back-up plan, Eason is first teamer as if there was any doubt.

If Eason loses all confidence they can stick haener in there and hope for the best by shortening the playbook significantly while determining if sirmon or yankoff has enough reliability to try a series or two.

Come next year the young guns compete more and haener can transfer portal to San Jose st with some experience and still talk glowingly about Pete and the UW program for giving him a chance.

Haener's mom is still hot.

Huard will be giving all the HH tbs'ers priapism non stop.

Things are looking good.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

NEsnake12 said:

This is why I found all the hand ringing and meltdowns the last few weeks fucking laughable. This was never a competition. Haener was never going to start.

Eason has elite physical tools but hadn’t seen live action in nearly 2 years. Haener was a dutiful backup last year and Pete was going to give him the first team reps he “earned”. Eason was always going to be eased back into the reps because he hadn’t “earned” anything yet and it wasn’t going to be given to him.

But to meltdown in fucking April because Haener was getting the majority of the first team reps was fucktarded. Haener could have had the first reps all spring and Eason would have still taken the job from him by the end of fall camp. After 30 practices Eason always would have emerged victorious. Haener has the mindset but he was not blessed by God to have the physical tools.

Pete may be loyal, and he may have started Browning for 4 years, and he may have given last years 2nd string QB the first chance at reps because he earned it. But there was and is zero fucking chance he was going to accept Eason as a transfer (when he rarely takes transfers) and not give the kid with the highest ceiling the job.

Pete may be stubborn and may learn slowly, but he always learns and adjusts. And 4 years of a physically limited QB stunting the offense was a long enough lesson.
    Everybody loves to use hindsight to make it seem like they know-it-all. Shut the fuck up. If Haener had thrown zero interceptions all Spring and was balling out and performing way better than Eason, you and everybody else would be worried.

Cool theory, except I've been eluding to the fact that this entire "competition" is a facade since the beginning of spring. I don't need hindsight as I was saying it before Haener started looking bad.

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/comment/1042336#Comment_1042336

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/comment/1043381#Comment_1043381

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/comment/1044180#Comment_1044180
    And back then you had no idea what was going to happen. Just a blind guess. If Haener was lighting it up and a legit threat to earn the starting job you'd be wrong. Hindsight is 20/20 when your blind guess is correct and is ignored and forgotten when you're wrong.