Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Best

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,171
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

MelloDawg said:

We have serious problems on the o line and special teams, but I love what we're doing with the offense. The variety. Penix is everything I hoped he'd be.

We will struggle to run against physical teams.

Agree with all of this. Will add that the defense needs to get much better fundamentally. Very poor tackling, poor pass coverage, players out of position, etc. What should have been a number of three and outs were allowed to be 3rd down conversions, more than a few 3rd and longs, against a MAC team. Not good.

On the positive side, Penix looked great, the passing game in general looked very good, they really spread the ball around and made it look natural. This was the first scrimmage, they have one more before they're really tested. This could be a good team if they can shore up the defense and special teams. Teams often realize their greatest improvement from game one to game two, could be perfect timing/scheduling for the showdown against MSU. Or not.
    This doesn’t happen without good OL play, primarily in the pass game. Therefore, you don’t agree with all of what DJ said (ILTCHDJ).
    Pass protect was good. Run blocking was not good, definitely falls in the category of a serious problem. I assumed this is what Derek was referring to.
    Yes that's what I was referring to and I believe Mello already knew that.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,171
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

coach since James. Was Jens 4th choice (Aranda, Clawson, and Campbell) NIL still a joke but finding myself liking this guy more and more. It's Kent State, but still. Don't give a fuck, you win 90%+ at any level you're a dude.

I'll say this. DeBoner looks like a fucking football coach. He looked confident and in control on the sidelines, didn't seem fake. He was very involved in what was going on, constantly working - talking to people, making adjustments, barking at the refs from time to time.

He wasn't nervously pacing and eye rolling like Petersen.
    He wasn't just standing there watching the game like a spectator like Jimmy.
    He wasn't acting like a smirking hyperactive deer in the headlights like little Choda Boy down at Oregon.
    He wasn't standing there flipping his headset mic up and down while staring blankly at the field like Willingham
    He wasn't constantly slumping over with his hands on his knees, staring blankly at the turf like Gilby

I like DeBoner until I hate him
    tweaked that for you
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Portland St is obviously a cupcake but the details of how they clean up tackles and adjust defensively will be telling on Deboers ability to coach imo. I won't feel good if the same mistakes are made next week
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wife took one look at DeBoner (haha) waving his arms and yelling and said, “Yeah, I don’t like him. He seems like a jerk.”

I waved my arms and yelled back, “you married a jerk honey.”

Agree on DeBoner being a refreshing representation of football on the sidelines. Very anti-Jimmy.

(Reserving the right to bitch about our fatass no-nothing coach in the weeks ahead)
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

coach since James. Was Jens 4th choice (Aranda, Clawson, and Campbell) NIL still a joke but finding myself liking this guy more and more. It's Kent State, but still. Don't give a fuck, you win 90%+ at any level you're a dude.

I'll say this. DeBoner looks like a fucking football coach. He looked confident and in control on the sidelines, didn't seem fake. He was very involved in what was going on, constantly working - talking to people, making adjustments, barking at the refs from time to time.

He wasn't acting like a smirking hyperactive deer in the headlights like little Choda Boy down at Oregon.
    He wasn't standing there flipping his headset mic up and down while staring blankly at the field like Willingham
    He wasn't constantly slumping over with his hands on his knees, staring blankly at the turf like Gilby

tweaked that for you
    it really is pretty insane how bad our coaching situation has been since 1993
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

I'd like to see him clean a few things up, starting with his own look and physique.

I like him a lot otherwise, as I said before they ever mentioned hiring him. He's a real coach who really knows wtf he's doing. I don't like him better than Petersen, but I think he has a higher ceiling and has a better demeanor. Mainly though he has a better offense and that's what UW needed.

#first_ishandright
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

godawgst said:

Greg Lewis said it best on Honks. Grubb/KD want to run it/be successful just enough to keeps the D honest. We go as far as Penix can throw us.

Rush D is concerning especially on edges. After Portland State scrimmage next two weeks will tell us much more as Sparty and Shaw will have zero problem 3/4/4 yards runs all night long keeping Offense off field, limiting possessions.

Big picture is this staff believes if they can get into high 30's, low 40's ppg, on defense if they can get 1-2 stops per half mission accomplished and they believe taking chances will result in a higher % of a sack/turnover/holding penalty killing that drive.

Part of me wonders how much they ran a vanilla defense as to not give MSU any film to prep. I didn't see any DBs blitz, no exotic stunts, and only 1 true LB blitz by Breuner.

I'm guessing we'll see them open the playbook for MSU
    That's possible but it doesn't explain the shitty tackling, being out of position, over pursuits, and giving up a very high percentage of 3rd+ down conversions.
    Southerdawg gets it.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    haie said:

Those are all 2015/16 gifs.

Different vibe his last two seasons at UW.

Cal fans are right about the 2018 game. Imagine being scared of Wilcock

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,122
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

godawgst said:

Greg Lewis said it best on Honks. Grubb/KD want to run it/be successful just enough to keeps the D honest. We go as far as Penix can throw us.

Rush D is concerning especially on edges. After Portland State scrimmage next two weeks will tell us much more as Sparty and Shaw will have zero problem 3/4/4 yards runs all night long keeping Offense off field, limiting possessions.

Big picture is this staff believes if they can get into high 30's, low 40's ppg, on defense if they can get 1-2 stops per half mission accomplished and they believe taking chances will result in a higher % of a sack/turnover/holding penalty killing that drive.

Part of me wonders how much they ran a vanilla defense as to not give MSU any film to prep. I didn't see any DBs blitz, no exotic stunts, and only 1 true LB blitz by Breuner.

I remember my “they aren’t that bad, they are just running a limited playbook so not to tip off another opponent” phase.

4D chess to coach your kids to over pursue and not wrap up.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

godawgst said:

I remember my “they aren’t that bad, they are just running a limited playbook so not to tip off another opponent” phase.

4D chess to coach your kids to over pursue and not wrap up.
    Some are saying this was the most important loss of Lanning’s career. Some are saying that.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,948
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Houhusky said:

Baseman said:

I like that DeBoer looks like he has already put on 20-30 lbs. I know the new rage is all these younger, hip, tiktoking, in shape coaches but I think the Walrus hypothesis is generally still strong. Coaches that look like fat slobs with walrus mustaches have a higher chance of success because they have fewer options if they dont.

I want a coach that is stress eating shitty food away from his family because he doesn't have time or energy for anything else. I want a coach that has an ugly wife and annoying kids he hates so he dreads going home and stays in the office later. A real Andy Reid or Mike Holmgren type that is generally a miserable fuck unless its 15 seconds after winning a football game. All the rah rah in shape fuckers can strut around as assistants but I want my head coach having no hobbies, no family, not even time for an addiction, because they are so busy with being a fucking head coach.
    I like the overall theory here but I’m not a fan of the Reid & Holmgren comparisons. I think those overrated fags are a combined 2-4 in the SB.