Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeathSantis

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,368
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Florida GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis received a huge cash advantage thanks to state taxpayers, Politico reported.

On Monday, the Division of Elections reported that DeSantis led all candidates by pulling $3.5 million in public matching funds. The sum was larger than his entire 2018 campaign — and more than double the money his two Democratic rivals, Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried and Rep. Charlie Crist, D-Fla., received.

Florida's public matching program, which has been around for decades and is open to all candidates for governor as well as the three elected Cabinet positions, gave away nearly $10 million in taxpayer money to statewide candidates in 2018.

Several of the state's Republicans in the past, including former governors Rick Scott and Jeb Bush, have refused to accept taxpayer money to finance their campaigns. Some have even dubbed the practice as "welfare for politicians." In 2010, the GOP-controlled Legislature tried to scuttle the program repeatedly, but voters shot down a bid to remove it from the state constitution.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,978
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Agree.

It's alarming to see what I've seen in West Bellevue alone.

I'm never going to begrudge someone for having multiple homes - good on you. But Chinese money has been 30% of the home purchases in West Bellevue for 10 or so years (caveat being that the last couple-three years the money is already state-side). A lot of these homes sit vacant and uncared for when there is still a massive demand for the inventory. Boo-hoo for West Bellevue, but still ....

All that said, those who own RE exercise a lot of control. And I'd prefer the CCP not be the ones who control.

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,298
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    pawz said:

Agree.

I'm never going to begrudge someone for having multiple homes - good on you. But Chinese money has been 30% of the home purchases in West Bellevue for 10 or so years (caveat being that the last couple-three years the money is already state-side). A lot of these homes sit vacant and uncared for when there is still a massive demand for the inventory. Boo-hoo for West Bellevue, but still ....

All that said, those who own RE exercise a lot of control. And I'd prefer the CCP not be the ones who control.

I agree it's not good, and we should cut off new purchases in some manner. In some sense it sounds like a good thing to have your enemy hold such an easy asset to seize and they are just pouring money into your economy. But there's too much economic entanglement to ever do that realistically at this point. The amount of US pension money sitting in Chinese companies is pretty staggering.

I think my daughter is playing with the daughter of a spy right across the street.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    California would collapse

Not sure how you stop an alleged member of the chi coms from buying anyway

Loyalty oaths?

America is where foreign folks park their money and we actually benefit downstream from that

Money is relatively safe here for now
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,978
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Bob_C said:

pawz said:

Agree.

I agree it's not good, and we should cut off new purchases in some manner. In some sense it sounds like a good thing to have your enemy hold such an easy asset to seize and they are just pouring money into your economy. But there's too much economic entanglement to ever do that realistically at this point. The amount of US pension money sitting in Chinese companies is pretty staggering.

I think my daughter is playing with the daughter of a spy right across the street.
    It's a nice idea but practice you just create a market for straw-buyers, LLCs and Trusts to mask actual ownership. Which is how it played out in VBC.

Apparently City of Bellevue gave thought to monitor water usage as a way to combat this issue but determined it would be shot down in the courts for any number of reasons.

• Options
    Founders Club

California would collapse

Not sure how you stop an alleged member of the chi coms from buying anyway

Loyalty oaths?

America is where foreign folks park their money and we actually benefit downstream from that

Money is relatively safe here for now

It's safe here because of the assets and IP that we own that are off shore. You'd have to get our own stuff out first to have any leverage. That's indirectly a Trump policy.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    China can easily just snap back that they didn't force us to shut down the economy and print money to have people not work. It's a legitimate response.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    China can buy all the Midwest they want

Try holding on to it if they start fucking around
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think we’re done here.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Florida GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis received a huge cash advantage thanks to state taxpayers, Politico reported.

On Monday, the Division of Elections reported that DeSantis led all candidates by pulling $3.5 million in public matching funds. The sum was larger than his entire 2018 campaign — and more than double the money his two Democratic rivals, Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried and Rep. Charlie Crist, D-Fla., received.

Florida's public matching program, which has been around for decades and is open to all candidates for governor as well as the three elected Cabinet positions, gave away nearly $10 million in taxpayer money to statewide candidates in 2018.

Several of the state's Republicans in the past, including former governors Rick Scott and Jeb Bush, have refused to accept taxpayer money to finance their campaigns. Some have even dubbed the practice as "welfare for politicians." In 2010, the GOP-controlled Legislature tried to scuttle the program repeatedly, but voters shot down a bid to remove it from the state constitution.

Ron is a public servant. Has been all of his life. Not a celebrity billionaire. He doesn’t have the resources to say fuck you to money that He doesn’t have.

If your only example of swampitude is to take advantage of election law, that his competitors are, I’m not sure what to say about that.