Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

SEATTLE HISTORY - "THINGS THAT AREN'T HERE ANYMORE"

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I never realized Kidd Valley was gone, but yes it has been years since I've seen it around.
    Is it? They were there when I left.

https://www.kiddvalley.com/locations-1
    Years ago back in the 1990s there was one in Bellevue that I went to semi-regularly and that's where my mind went when I saw that logo. It's long gone. I know there was one along Bothell Way in Kenmore set back from the road. I haven't noticed it last couple years
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Chubby and Tubby was a great place to buy Chuck Taylors and shrink to fit 501s.
    I equate Chubby and Tubby with Chuck Taylors.
    And Carhart. Got a bunch at substantial discounts when they shuttered the White Center store.
    I wasn’t wearing Carhart to school in the early 80s.
    I'm sure you were wearing LawMan Painters, like the rest of us.
    I went to Catholic school, we wore a fucking uniform. I think the cheap clothes my mom bought were called Tough Skins or something stupid like that. All the poor kids wore them.
    So did I, but our pants were salt & pepper corduroys until about 4th grade, when the SJWs made us switch to green jeans, recommending Toughskins. Fucking SJWs ruin everything.

Rebel that I was, I refused, and went with JCP Super Denims (who remembers the robot commercials?) instead of Sears Toughskins.

JCP clothes were always better than Sears shit. So I stayed one step above the pours at my catholic school.
    My parents sacrificed so I could wear Levi’s.
    My parents didn’t like me.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,154
    Swaye's Wigwam

And Carhart. Got a bunch at substantial discounts when they shuttered the White Center store.
    I went to Catholic school, we wore a fucking uniform. I think the cheap clothes my mom bought were called Tough Skins or something stupid like that. All the poor kids wore them.
    So did I, but our pants were salt & pepper corduroys until about 4th grade, when the SJWs made us switch to green jeans, recommending Toughskins. Fucking SJWs ruin everything.

Rebel that I was, I refused, and went with JCP Super Denims (who remembers the robot commercials?) instead of Sears Toughskins.

JCP clothes were always better than Sears shit. So I stayed one step above the pours at my catholic school.
    We dreamed of owning Levi's around the dinner table in Scranton
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    Founders Club

We dreamed of owning Levi's around the dinner table in Scranton
    The trouble with Levis is that they cover up the leg hair
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

No love for Frederick and Nelson's? There was one at almost every mall, back in the day.

Used to get my Boy Scout stuff at Aurora Village. Now you have to drive down Rainier Ave - scary - to get your scarves and shorts.

Fuck Frederick and Nelson. They bought The Crescent and ruined it.

509 boys rep.

David Sabey, of Spokane, was the last owner of F&N.
    I knew him. His brother lived down the road from me. He’d land his helicopter there from time to time. Went to a few parties there
    I don't recall Sabey being from Spokane. If so, he moved away young and never came back other than buying Northtown Mall (which is now essentially The Walking Dead)

He was always associated with Bellevue.

Sure you're not confusing Kemper Freeman with Sabey?

Damone vouched for Sabey's Spokiness, but he may have been a transplant.

I am going strictly by memory to recall the late 80s/early 90s.

Could be wrong...but usually not.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Significantly less teriyaki shops since I was in school

Hate crime against Asians IMHO

I was a Tokyo Garden man myself
    I was partially raised on Yasuko's.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Unless I missed it, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Zesto in Ballard.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775

No love for Frederick and Nelson's? There was one at almost every mall, back in the day.

Used to get my Boy Scout stuff at Aurora Village. Now you have to drive down Rainier Ave - scary - to get your scarves and shorts.

509 boys rep.

I knew him. His brother lived down the road from me. He’d land his helicopter there from time to time. Went to a few parties there
    I don't recall Sabey being from Spokane. If so, he moved away young and never came back other than buying Northtown Mall (which is now essentially The Walking Dead)

Would have to know where he went to high school. But have never in my life heard of Dave Sabey being lauded as a Spokanite. Maybe he bailed as a youngster.

• Options

509 boys rep.

Would have to know where he went to high school. But have never in my life heard of Dave Sabey being lauded as a Spokanite. Maybe he bailed as a youngster.

Heavily involved in the North Town Mall in Spokane in the 80s & 90s. He's on the Board at Gonzaga (or was for awhile) as well. He may have relocated to Spokane while doing all the North Town Mall stuff, but from what I recall hearing on the news, he resided there during his ownership of F&N - at some point, I think when it was in financial trouble and about to close when that was. "David Sabey from Spokane" was how he was commonly addressed back then on Seattle news outlets.
  • Options

509 boys rep.

Heavily involved in the North Town Mall in Spokane in the 80s & 90s. He's on the Board at Gonzaga (or was for awhile) as well. He may have relocated to Spokane while doing all the North Town Mall stuff, but from what I recall hearing on the news, he resided there during his ownership of F&N - at some point, I think when it was in financial trouble and about to close when that was. "David Sabey from Spokane" was how he was commonly addressed back then on Seattle news outlets.
    I'm sure that's how the Seattle media would like to portray it - but this is the first time I've ever heard of Dave Sabey ever being called a 'Spokane guy.'

I don't think he's from Spokane - maybe resided in the 509 for a bit - but you're not a Spokane guy unless you graduated high school there. The natives won't have it any other way. He'd have been considered a transplant.

I could be wrong on his roots but I don't think so.

• Options
    @PurpleThrobber I think the longer we debate Sabey's origins, the more AIDS we give this thread. Probably NOGAF anyway.
  • Options

@PurpleThrobber I think the longer we debate Sabey's origins, the more AIDS we give this thread. Probably NOGAF anyway.

Getting to the truth is never AIDS. I'm not debating. I left the door open that he may be from the 509.

Nobody is providing much evidence to the contrary.

• Options
    booker14booker14 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 145
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Looks like Sabey is from Burien, pretty much a west side guy whose only real Spokane connection is his purchase of the Northtown mall.

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19911215&slug=1323071
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2022
    booker14 said:

Looks like Sabey is from Burien, pretty much a west side guy whose only real Spokane connection is his purchase of the Northtown mall.

I’ll say this…I lived in Spokane from 87-96 and I couldn’t turn around without seeing his name on a crane, and not just at Northtown…

Yes, I had to edit this. Three drink minimum…
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,060
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I never realized Kidd Valley was gone, but yes it has been years since I've seen it around.
    No just the burger babe. They are still around. The original on 55th and 25th NE was just announced to be closing however. Ivars bought them in the 90's I believe. Made a bunch of changes. IMO, not for the better.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/kidd-valley-announces-closure-original-1976-restaurant-university-district/FHB6VGZCONCJDHRVQOWBUKONGM/
  • Options
    booker14 said:

Gracias. As suspected.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    Founders Club

No just the burger babe. They are still around. The original on 55th and 25th NE was just announced to be closing however. Ivars bought them in the 90's I believe. Made a bunch of changes. IMO, not for the better.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/kidd-valley-announces-closure-original-1976-restaurant-university-district/FHB6VGZCONCJDHRVQOWBUKONGM/
    Ivar’s definitely owned Kidd Valley.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    booker14 said:

#myLancers
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,015
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    i always get mad when i fly through seatac and realize they closed ivars there.

like, jimmy lake shoving a player level mad.