Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

USC/UCLA Wants to Shut the Door

Comments

• Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,171
    131 FBS teams (soon to be 133)
    Soon to be 103 non-B1G/SEC
    65 P5 teams
    35 non-B1G/SEC

Amazon can pay 100M each to the top 10 remainders (or split some arbitrary way) = 1B
    50M each to the next 25 = 1.25B
    5M to each of the rest = 340M

2.59B to own the vast majority of games which you can distribute using your existing platform. Production costs obviously also exist which I can't begin to estimate.

As a term of the deal each school has to cost B1G/SEC opponents 10M/game (keep some, give some to Amazon,). That is either lucrative or chokes those teams out.

Move might make more sense for Apple though. The cost is certainly not an obstacle for either of them and I struggle to believe they can't return $4B on 900 football games, let alone the secondary ways this adds value to them.
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member Posts: 1,796

haie said:

I hope it's true that the remaining 10 schools have banded together to tell everyone to fuck off. It seems like that is what's happening and the AZ schools and Colorado are finding out that they're fine being the Pac 7.

At the end of the day Amazon and Apple want live college football and have no problem fucking fox and espn. So let them.

And this is a huge point that hasn't been sufficiently discussed. These fucking cable and network companies are facing a fucking huge paradigm shift. When a old fucker like me completely changes, 180 degrees, one of his most entrenched behaviors, and all within a period of a couple of years, you know something is coming. Because I'm not the cutting edge guy. The women in my family go through four fucking phones before I get a new one, and even then it's only because the one I have is starting to fail or the operating software won't run my apps anymore. There are two reasons a cable runs into my house: (1) internet service and (2) sports. And I'm now bothering to study my options to get cut the cord entirely.

Sports is the problem that’s hard to solve. Geographic rights are now based on GPS coordinates, not server locations, so using a proxy doesn’t work. So, I pay for internet and try and catch what I can on Amazon, Apple, YouTube TV. If you’re still in the Seattle area you could try the TMobile 5G internet hub and get yourself an over the air HD digital antenna. With that you should be able to cancel Comcast.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,541 Swaye's Wigwam
    This is getting awfully close to plagiarism my shit...
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    haie said:

SC UCLA and Florida are soft fucking losers.

SEC told Tamu to fuck off. Not sure that happens here though.

UCLA is 11-5 vs. Washington since 2000.

Overall, they lead the series heads up.

If UCLA is a “soft fucking loser”, what’s that make Warshington?
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam
    trublue said:

haie said:

lol.

Jesus Christ dude.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,534 Standard Supporter
    Pulling the rug out from under your enemies, diminishing them, is what winners do. Guess how you win?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,005
    trublue said:

haie said:

I dare say that most programs in the country don’t want ti play the “all-time record” game. Everyone has a loser program against which they are behind in the all/time series.
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    As usual, you’re correct Creep.

Trying to align 4-8 Haie with the current reality as he continues to disparage other programs.
    whlinder said:

The latest scuttle has it that SC and UCLA were on bended knee begging for the transfer. SMFH. Embarrassing. But then, now too are Oregon and Washington. Anyway, it seems as though which teams go where will vary depending on the situation. Some will be attractive based solely on where they are and local markets (UCLA), and some will be their own market (Notre Dame). There will be combinations, which implies that preserving well watched rivalries (like, arguably, UW/OR, which to me is hands down the best rivalry in the Pac) might be a factor.

Hard to say how much SC's brand, on its own, was the driver. I'm sure it factored in. But the big driver is getting Big 10 schools multiple trips to LA and grabbing that market by the balls.

I hate all this, but it's also intriguing as fuck. You can play this game of "what about ...?" all around the country. I'm still intrigued by a partnership between the two coast conferences, but only as long as they can stay in tact. What's left of the Pac and the current ACC lineup, particularly if Clemson holds form and at least two of Miami/FSU/Va. Tech can return to form, and Washington gets its shit together again and this new guy at Oregon proves good ... with all of that you'd really have something.

I can see how USC desperately wanted this for their brand. Theirs has eroded, especially compared to their rival Notre Dame, largely due to USC's own ineptitude since Carroll, but the lack of Pac-12 exposure doesn't help.

This is anecdotal, but in the DMV, USC is the University of South Carolina most of the time now. The Troojans of Southern California are rarely on TV and not really discussed except by the most serious of CFB fans.

Not cool story bro, no pics, fuck off: My daughter's friend is a verbal commit for soccer to Northwestern. When the news of USC/UCLA to the B1G broke, this girl was like "Oh shit, we have to play UCLA now, they're good, damn, that's gonna be rough, and we gotta travel out there. And South Carolina, that's kind of random to add them"

I mean, I realize teen girls aren't usually the primary target of CFB broadcasters, but that's the next generation of fans. USC associating itself to the B1G gets them at least back in discussion to a lot of the country.
    I've actually been in a handful of situations back your way in which I said "USC" and created confusion. It tends to not happen when you say "SC", with the "U"; but if you're in the southeastern US, "USC" doesn't mean only So Cal. Lolz. South Carolina sucks.
    USMChawk said:

haie said:

I hope it's true that the remaining 10 schools have banded together to tell everyone to fuck off. It seems like that is what's happening and the AZ schools and Colorado are finding out that they're fine being the Pac 7.

At the end of the day Amazon and Apple want live college football and have no problem fucking fox and espn. So let them.

And this is a huge point that hasn't been sufficiently discussed. These fucking cable and network companies are facing a fucking huge paradigm shift. When a old fucker like me completely changes, 180 degrees, one of his most entrenched behaviors, and all within a period of a couple of years, you know something is coming. Because I'm not the cutting edge guy. The women in my family go through four fucking phones before I get a new one, and even then it's only because the one I have is starting to fail or the operating software won't run my apps anymore. There are two reasons a cable runs into my house: (1) internet service and (2) sports. And I'm now bothering to study my options to get cut the cord entirely.

Sports is the problem that’s hard to solve. Geographic rights are now based on GPS coordinates, not server locations, so using a proxy doesn’t work. So, I pay for internet and try and catch what I can on Amazon, Apple, YouTube TV. If you’re still in the Seattle area you could try the TMobile 5G internet hub and get yourself an over the air HD digital antenna. With that you should be able to cancel Comcast.
    I'm thinking about this right now. Thanks for the idea.
    trublue said:

As usual, you’re correct Creep.

Trying to align 4-8 Haie with the current reality as he continues to disparage other programs.

Cry more.
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,034
    edited July 2022
    trublue said:

haie said:

Both Washington and UCLA have 17 PAC championships, but UCLA has zero of them since 2000 while Washington has 3.

UCLA has one NC, Washington has two.

Head to head is less important since the schools often missed each other in given years (I'd be more interested in the stat if they always played every year) but given the fact that UCLA sits in the middle of a recruiting hot bed you'd sorta expect them to lead the series even if all of the randomness of missed games is removed. UCLA is one of those schools that just does less with more.

trublue said:

haie said:

Both Washington and UCLA have 17 PAC championships, but UCLA has zero of them since 2000 while Washington has 3.

UCLA has one NC, Washington has two.

Head to head is less important since the schools often missed each other in given years (I'd be more interested in the stat if they always played every year) but given the fact that UCLA sits in the middle of a recruiting hot bed you'd sorta expect them to lead the series even if all of the randomness of missed games is removed. UCLA is one of those schools that just does less with more.

Tru is frantically searching for the quote button so that he can remind you that UW went 4-8 last year while UCLA went 8-4.

However he will fuck it up and make it read like he's quoting himself with a string of random numbers appended on.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861

haie said:

This is why everyone needs an angry cuban man in their corner.