Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Where DeBoer Ranks on Early Power 5 Football Coaches' List

13»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022
    thechatch said:

Gene Chizik went 2-10 and 3-9 in his two years in Ames and then won a Natty at Auburn yr 1.

Dan McCarney coached 12 fucking years there and won 9 games exactly once and 7 games twice. The remaining 9 years were a bunch of 3-9 and 2-10 pants shittings.

Ames is the worst job in the B12. No one has even mildly succeeded there, except Campbell.

Of course he would have been a better hire than DeBoer.

That’s all fine and impressive, but he had a ton of returners off the Rose Bowl team and had a shitty year. Preseason #7 ranking and they ended up 7-6. It probably gets ugly this season.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,214
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Iowa State fans hoped he left
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

The dumb ones, sure. Campbell is coach in waiting at Ohio state. The job is his when day tries the nfl
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Anyone having a hard time realizing that what Campbell has done in Ames is pretty remarkable, can't be helped. When he finally moves on to a school where better than average players are interested in playing, his time in Ames will become that much more impressive. As they return to ISU football of old.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,214
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

The dumb ones, sure. Campbell is coach in waiting at Ohio state. The job is his when day tries the nfl
    I don't think he has the balls
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,556
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    ntxduck said:

I think you’re confusing him with Fickell
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,458
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

LOL
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022
    ntxduck said:

I doubt that. I’ll take the field.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    EwaDawg said:

Fisch over Dickert is just plain dumb if you consider actual results. I am all for putting ANYTHING cuog at the bottom but it doesn't seem right, here.

How is Edwards not 11???
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    Tequilla said:

thechatch said:

haie said:

thechatch said:

Throwing money at Campbell would have at least shown me that someone in the UW Admin gives a shit about football…

Instead they pinched pennies on a WAC coach.

Yawn.

Throwing money at a coach who had one good season where he beat Oregon and never won his conference? That's a very UW hire but no, that would be dumb af.
    UW made a bottom line decision and Deboer was clearly a cost-prudent hire that doogs can talk themselves into liking and may…just may deliver a 9 or 10 win season during his time at U-Dub, if everything falls just right.

And that’s fine, because that’s what admin has decided is “good enough” for this fanbase. Just like Justin Wilcox is “good enough” to stay at Cal. We’ll see if he can “coach em up” and we’ll see just how good of a talent evaluator/play caller he is, because his recruiting is MWC-level, where, coincidentally, he also ALMOST won 10 games last year and ALMOST won the MWC.

Matt Campbell also almost won 10 games at Iowa St, but that was in the Big12 and he has a NYD Bowl Win under his belt, and it looks like his recruiting will be better in shit-ass Ames, Iowa than Deboer will in “The Greatest Setting”.

I sincerely hope this helps.
    How many people on this board have been to Ames?

It’s a very difficult job
    Probably as many that actually remember their Pullman trip(s).

Ames is right there with Manhattan, KS. as Power 5 outposts. Still not as isolated as Pullman of course.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    thechatch said:

ntxduck said:

I think you’re confusing him with Fickell
    Nope.