Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Where DeBoer Ranks on Early Power 5 Football Coaches' List

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Campbell has likely peaked out at Iowa St … similar to what Ferentz has done at Iowa

It is what it is and doesn’t make either bad coaches
    There’s a reason there’s a perception that the P12 doesn’t take football seriously

It’s largely a mediocre list

Regardless of the Fisch vs Dickert debate outcome, they both rank as 2 of the worst P5 HC in the country
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,394
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Campbell has likely peaked out at Iowa St … similar to what Ferentz has done at Iowa

Matt Campbell - The Kirk Ferentz of Iowa State!

Ringing endorsement for hiring him.

Tequilla said:

People that act like Ferentz is a bad coach amuse me

The point for both is that there are ceilings of what you can accomplish at both places and both coaches have pushed their schools up against those barriers

The fact that both programs are nationally relevant is more of a testament to them than an indictment
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

The point for both is that there are ceilings of what you can accomplish at both places and both coaches have pushed their schools up against those barriers

The fact that both programs are nationally relevant is more of a testament to them than an indictment
    He’s a good developer and Iowa seems to get some good players to the NFL, but he’s never had a good offense. They are also the type of program that will have an All American type at one LB spot and the other has cement in his shoes.

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

He’s a good developer and Iowa seems to get some good players to the NFL, but he’s never had a good offense. They are also the type of program that will have an All American type at one LB spot and the other has cement in his shoes.
    He’s far from a perfect coach

I think most don’t understand how difficult it is to win big big at Iowa
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Is it a good thing that 1/2 your conference coaches are ranked in the last 15 P5 head coaching spots overall....

#conferenceofChampions
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

What the fuck is your point. I still wouldn't hire either of those coaches and they're both losers. Hence, they're still at Iowa and Iowa St.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Ferentz is a doog legend that was used to prop up Ty

Your take on him is on par with your Emmert take at the same time

Act like you're high standards guy now but your doog always shows through

Mediocre is not something to aspire to

Hth
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Hth
    We needed to give Campbell 8 mil a year. I'm sure it would have worked out.

#TeqThoughts
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,484
    Throwing money at Campbell would have at least shown me that someone in the UW Admin gives a shit about football…

Instead they pinched pennies on a WAC coach.

Yawn.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

Throwing money at Campbell would have at least shown me that someone in the UW Admin gives a shit about football…

Yawn.

Throwing money at a coach who had one good season where he beat Oregon and never won his conference? That's a very UW hire but no, that would be dumb af.
    haie said:

thechatch said:

Yawn.

Throwing money at a coach who had one good season where he beat Oregon and never won his conference? That's a very UW hire but no, that would be dumb af.
    Campbell’s resume blows DeBoer’s out of the water

It’s fine to have reservations about Campbell … but there are more red flags with DeBoer

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Hth
    I’ve always had high standards and can’t stand sustained mediocrity

Given the current trending at UW … Ferentz looks like a great safe baseline

UW should aspire to do better than what Ferentz has for his ceiling
    thechatch said:

Yawn.

Perception and reality

• dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 560
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Not sure how Lanning comes in at 54. This is a list of head coaches, and he has yet to coach a game. Like they say ‘He sucks until he doesn’t’!
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dOgmaster said:

Not sure how Lanning comes in at 54. This is a list of head coaches, and he has yet to coach a game. Like they say ‘He sucks until he doesn’t’!

Recruiting?
    edited June 2022
    haie said:

thechatch said:

Yawn.

UW made a bottom line decision and Deboer was clearly a cost-prudent hire that doogs can talk themselves into liking and may…just may deliver a 9 or 10 win season during his time at U-Dub, if everything falls just right.

And that’s fine, because that’s what admin has decided is “good enough” for this fanbase. Just like Justin Wilcox is “good enough” to stay at Cal. We’ll see if he can “coach em up” and we’ll see just how good of a talent evaluator/play caller he is, because his recruiting is MWC-level, where, coincidentally, he also ALMOST won 10 games last year and ALMOST won the MWC.

Matt Campbell also almost won 10 games at Iowa St, but that was in the Big12 and he has a NYD Bowl Win under his belt, and it looks like his recruiting will be better in shit-ass Ames, Iowa than Deboer will in “The Greatest Setting”.

I sincerely hope this helps.
    thechatch said:

haie said:

thechatch said:

Yawn.

UW made a bottom line decision and Deboer was clearly a cost-prudent hire that doogs can talk themselves into liking and may…just may deliver a 9 or 10 win season during his time at U-Dub, if everything falls just right.

And that’s fine, because that’s what admin has decided is “good enough” for this fanbase. Just like Justin Wilcox is “good enough” to stay at Cal. We’ll see if he can “coach em up” and we’ll see just how good of a talent evaluator/play caller he is, because his recruiting is MWC-level, where, coincidentally, he also ALMOST won 10 games last year and ALMOST won the MWC.

Matt Campbell also almost won 10 games at Iowa St, but that was in the Big12 and he has a NYD Bowl Win under his belt, and it looks like his recruiting will be better in shit-ass Ames, Iowa than Deboer will in “The Greatest Setting”.

I sincerely hope this helps.
    How many people on this board have been to Ames?

It’s a very difficult job
    Gene Chizik went 2-10 and 3-9 in his two years in Ames and then won a Natty at Auburn yr 1.

Dan McCarney coached 12 fucking years there and won 9 games exactly once and 7 games twice. The remaining 9 years were a bunch of 3-9 and 2-10 pants shittings.

Ames is the worst job in the B12. No one has even mildly succeeded there, except Campbell.

Of course he would have been a better hire than DeBoer.