Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Huard: What’s the early buzz surrounding UW Huskies football?

Comments

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    So the takeaway is the University of Washington can't compete with USC and Oregon in paying college football players to wear their colors?
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,318
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    RoadTrip said:

So the takeaway is the University of Washington can't compete with USC and Oregon in paying college football players to wear their colors?

It's more that Washington would rather look at everything from a participatory perspective. Words like "compete" and "money" make leadership shiver, and not in a good way.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

RoadTrip said:

It's more that Washington would rather look at everything from a participatory perspective. Words like "compete" and "money" make leadership shiver, and not in a good way.
    C'mon maaaan. Just get Gates behind proving a championship football program can be built upon a 100% plant based diet and the $ will flow.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    Swaye's Wigwam
    RoadTrip said:

TheHB said:

RoadTrip said:

C'mon maaaan. Just get Gates behind proving a championship football program can be built upon a 100% plant based diet and the $ will flow.
    Actually, a lot of Gates' humanitarian energy these days is spent on toilets (how to make them exist in places where sanitation is awful and infrastructure is unavailable). Since UW's revenue athletics are in the toilet, I see a huge opportunity for a branding/marketing collaboration.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,979
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    This point Of view from Brock would have been banned by The dm staff. Reality or not.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

This point Of view from Brock would have been banned by The dm staff. Reality or not.
    “It’s going to take a little bit of time,” Huard said. “And to me, the coaching won’t be the question. It will just simply be in time the ability to bring the talent when you’re competing NIL with USC and NIL with Oregon and the stability of some of the other programs in the conference.”

So why do we need to have patience and not expect any progress for awhile? Oregon has a brand-new coach, but they don't need to wait to have recruiting success through NIL. Brock needs to go a step further and say the quiet part out loud.
    Do you think Brock would ever say that quiet part out loud? I don't and if he did it would be coated in so much coach, player, general big picture talking points I'm not sure most people would be able to read between the lines.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I honestly don't think Brock follows UW that closely anyways. The analysis is pretty surface-level. DeBoner has been successful, Lake sucked, recruiting has been shitty. There isn't any insight there that a random east coast ESPN writer could have provided after about a half hour of research
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,265
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Yeah, I didn't read that much into his comments. He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)

• Options
    Founders Club
    godawgst said:

“It’s going to take a little bit of time,” Huard said. “And to me, the coaching won’t be the question. It will just simply be in time the ability to bring the talent when you’re competing NIL with USC and NIL with Oregon and the stability of some of the other programs in the conference.”

So why do we need to have patience and not expect any progress for awhile? Oregon has a brand-new coach, but they don't need to wait to have recruiting success through NIL. Brock needs to go a step further and say the quiet part out loud.
    Do you think Brock would ever say that quiet part out loud? I don't and if he did it would be coated in so much coach, player, general big picture talking points I'm not sure most people would be able to read between the lines.
    He was extremely candid at the end of last season. Under the right circumstances he would again. He would be measured so as to not inflict damage on Sam's UW career. But I have a hunch Sam will end up transferring out anyway.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,474
    Swaye's Wigwam
    godawgst said:

He's been brutally honest the last 2 years. His ratings come from hawk talk so he doesn't give a fuck. You're not hiding anything when you're saying that Jimmy is "hard to watch" on the air.

Fuck off.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Isn’t he saying that out loud?

We’re already getting DeBoer quoted in articles talking about NIL effectively is a mess and is going to impact recruiting

By all accounts those that know football know that DeBoer’s staff can coach

Everybody knows that Jen is in over her head with pulling the NIL stuff together and that miss us going to negatively impact recruiting until at minimum something changes

It is what it is at this point
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Isn’t he saying that out loud?

We’re already getting DeBoer quoted in articles talking about NIL effectively is a mess and is going to impact recruiting

By all accounts those that know football know that DeBoer’s staff can coach

Everybody knows that Jen is in over her head with pulling the NIL stuff together and that miss us going to negatively impact recruiting until at minimum something changes

It is what it is at this point
    Has Brock publicly said Jen needs to be fired?