Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariner Talk

Comments

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    pawz said:

Could 1 guy on the Mariners hit 300 if they got to hit beach balls?

Honest question. Is it even possible to hit a beach ball out of the infield on the fly?

It always seems like the spin on the ball or the wind makes that shit go down faster than CollegeDoog at Neighbors (nttiawwt)
    Yeah I thought about that but my point was these guys can't hit shit.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Last time I looked at Zunino's average it was early in the week when he was hitting .280. Throw a 1 for 15 week out there and he's down to .234. Still concerned about his inability to draw a walk. But if he was to produce something about .250 this year with a .450 slugging % (which he's above at this point), I'd say that that's not too bad for someone that really should still be in AAA.

Paxton passes the eye test. Agree that Walker needs to stay healthy but he also passes the eye test. Agree that Iwakuma probably had about as good of a year that he could have last year but that doesn't mean that he won't be productive going forward. Vargas definitely isn't a sexy pitcher, but not a bad #4 or #5 to have in your rotation - same with Fister.

Ackley also went into the shitter this week with a 1 for 15 week taking his average from .279 down to .237. If he's hitting .280/.350/.420 with 10-20 steals, it's not ideal, but not terrible.

Once again, one of the biggest problems this team has is that it's asking so much out of its young players instead of putting them in positions to get their feet wet and confidence without having pressure just heaped on top of them.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you are still paying attention to this fucking dreckfest, you need to chug paint thinner.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2014

dnc said:

Fuck Kyle Seager for hitting two HR's today. He's the 3rd REAL major league player in the M's lineup (Cano, Hart, Seager). I saw the Mariners were down 5-0 which made me happy. I want the Mariners to lose every game just so Tequilla is wrong. I need something to tide me over once the NBA playoffs are over until football starts. I'm looking forward to reading the box scores when the Yankees sweep them on Tuesday.

I looked at the Mariners schedule and started laughing at the month of June. The over/under for wins in that month is 5. I'm not kidding either. For the other Mariner haters like myself, take a look at how much fun June will be.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/sea/seattle-mariners

I'd put them down for 12 wins that month. They just took 2 of 3 from Texas at home, they'll probably split in San Diego and win at least one in KC. There's your 5 right there. I think they can win 7 of the rest.

It's a TUFF schedule month, no doubt, but I'm not sure it's that much TUFFER than April.

12? You're reaching Tequilla territory with that. April had the Astros (3), Marlins (3), and Angels (5). That's not that hard of a schedule. June is much tougher. They won't win more than 2 of their first 10 games in June. The first 10 games of June are Detroit (1), @Atlanta (2), @ TB (4), NY (3). The games are @KC and they also play Boston (3) and Cleveland (3). Counting on winning 2 of 3 against Texas because they just did it? Texas is a way better team and could have swept the Mariners.
    Hi there.

The current winning percentage of the Mariner's April opponents is 53.2. The current winning percentage of the Mariner's June opponents is 50.9. Probably too early to say the April opponents are better, but they're certainly close to the caliber of the June opponents and possibly better.

OTOH, the M's have 15 road games with 11 home games in April, whereas they have 15 home games with 12 road games in June.

The April schedule is harder by every objective measure we have right now. There's no way in hell June is "much tougher".
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2014
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Fuck Kyle Seager for hitting two HR's today. He's the 3rd REAL major league player in the M's lineup (Cano, Hart, Seager). I saw the Mariners were down 5-0 which made me happy. I want the Mariners to lose every game just so Tequilla is wrong. I need something to tide me over once the NBA playoffs are over until football starts. I'm looking forward to reading the box scores when the Yankees sweep them on Tuesday.

I looked at the Mariners schedule and started laughing at the month of June. The over/under for wins in that month is 5. I'm not kidding either. For the other Mariner haters like myself, take a look at how much fun June will be.

I'd put them down for 12 wins that month. They just took 2 of 3 from Texas at home, they'll probably split in San Diego and win at least one in KC. There's your 5 right there. I think they can win 7 of the rest.

It's a TUFF schedule month, no doubt, but I'm not sure it's that much TUFFER than April.

12? You're reaching Tequilla territory with that. April had the Astros (3), Marlins (3), and Angels (5). That's not that hard of a schedule. June is much tougher. They won't win more than 2 of their first 10 games in June. The first 10 games of June are Detroit (1), @Atlanta (2), @ TB (4), NY (3). The games are @KC and they also play Boston (3) and Cleveland (3). Counting on winning 2 of 3 against Texas because they just did it? Texas is a way better team and could have swept the Mariners.
    Hi there.

The current winning percentage of the Mariner's April opponents is 53.2. The current winning percentage of the Mariner's June opponents is 50.9. Probably too early to say the April opponents are better, but they're certainly close to the caliber of the June opponents and possibly better.

OTOH, the M's have 15 road games with 11 home games in April, whereas they have 15 home games with 12 road games in June.

The April schedule is harder by every objective measure we have right now. There's no way in hell June is "much tougher".
    The Rays, and Red Sox are under .500, but are two of the best teams in the AL every year. The Indians are 11-14, but were a playoff team last year. It's not hard to understand why June is tougher. Take all the screenshots you need, June is going to be a disaster for the Mariners. You and Tequilla are Mariner doogs (Mooiners?).
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

Hi there.

The Rays, and Red Sox are under .500, but are two of the best teams in the AL every year. The Indians are 11-14, but were a playoff team last year. It's not hard to understand why June is tougher. Take all the screenshots you need, June is going to be a disaster for the Mariners. You and Tequilla are Mariner doogs (Mooiners?).
    You said they win 5 in June, I said they win 12. That makes the over/under 8.5 with you taking the under and me the over. I like my chances.

• Options
    BTW, going by the simulated wins in BP's Playoff Odds Report, neither the April nor June schedules are really that tough.

It has the average opponent (on a per game) in April as finishing with 81.75 wins, and the average opponent in June finishing with 81.77 wins.

I used to be pretty up on advanced baseball stats, but the mass proliferation of the industry coupled with my waning interest thanks to the Mariner dreckfest, I've fallen pretty far behind the last few years. I'm sure there are much better win projection systems out there than this one - Fangraphs has to have one, at least - but I don't care enough to do the legwork to find them.

If you have one you like better feel free to share. This one was easy to to find and works for a quick and dirty projection. And it confirmed what we already knew - the problem ain't the schedule, it's the M's.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dnc said:

dnc said:

Hi there.

is it tough? yes. But you are overrating some of the teams.
    Everything came together for Cleveland last year. Their closer is now Axford (yikes) their rotation lost kazmir and salazar seems to have forgotten how to pitch.
    The rays are beat up in the rotation, I picked them to make the WS but without moore, cobb is out until at leas the end of may. And price may be gone by then.
    The red sox are gonna be good, as good as last year? no. But they're a solid WC team.

It isn't that tough, but does it really matter? the mariners aren't doing shit regardless of the opponent
  • Options
    Without being a mooniner ... and in no way trying to frame this as being a mooniner ...

But there are 3 teams in the AL right now with a 15-10 record (2 of which are in the AL West). With the exception of Houston at 9-17 and the 3 teams at the top with 15-10 records, the other 11 teams in the league range from a record of 12-9 (Detroit) to 10-14 (Seattle).

Over time, yes, you would expect that there will be some teams that separate themselves from the pack. However, one month through the season, what we've basically seen in the AL is that there are a lot of teams that have significant flaws and not really any team that comes across as being a dominating juggernaut.
  • Options
    The A's are the best team in the AL right now, The depth in their lineup, bullpen and rotation is so unmatched in all of baseball.
    I'll stick with my Nationals pick in the NL but if I had to pick a team in the AL it's the A's. But as tequila said there isn't one great team in the AL. The tigers can be a great team but they aren't now
  • Options
    QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Hi there.

You said they win 5 in June, I said they win 12. That makes the over/under 8.5 with you taking the under and me the over. I like my chances.

Obligatory: the 0/u is 5
  • Options
    Every AL team for the most part has some holes in their lineup or rotations. Oakland and Texas are probably the best built teams at this point IF they are both healthy.

So far in 2014, there has been 1,631 runs scored by AL teams across 368 games - or an average of 4.4 runs per game. So far on the season the slash line has been .252/.324/.394.

In 1974, the average runs per game was 4.1 runs per game with a slash line of .258/.323/.371. The division winners were a 91 win Baltimore team and a 90 win Oakland team. Only Detroit and the Angels finished the year more than 10 games below .500.

These could be shaping up as being very comparable seasons with the increase in runs scored being driven by a slightly higher slugging percentage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    All Mariners threads unless they are sarkastic need to die in a mudslide.

CHRIST! You guys are killing APAG's NBA board with this nonsense.

Revenge of the nerds territory. Close the fucking gates.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

All Mariners threads unless they are sarkastic need to die in a mudslide.

CHRIST! You guys are killing APAG's NBA board with this nonsense.

Revenge of the nerds territory. Close the fucking gates.

I really fucked up making this thread. I thought we could all share a laugh over their upcoming mudslide. I'm going to refrain from any Mariner talk until the next 8 game losing streak.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Mariners will make the playoffs. Cook it!
  • Options

This will be a fun one to track. 2-0 so far. I WANT THE MARINERS TO WIN JUST SO ROADDAWG55 WILL BE WRONG!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

This will be a fun one to track. 2-0 so far. I WANT THE MARINERS TO WIN JUST SO ROADDAWG55 WILL BE WRONG!
    I gotta keep the faith that the eight game losing streak is coming. The M's seem to be playing pretty well though.
  • Options
    Will Carroll @injuryexpert · 5h
    Taijuan Walker makes a rehab start tomorrow night. If all goes as expected, he'll be in the Mariners rotation in that slot over the weekend.

time to pray that he makes it through the start and stays healthy. Having a below average 5th starter isn't that big a deal. But you cannot have a Erasmo Ramirez/Brandon Maurer black hole taxing you bullpen. If the Mariners expect to do anything one of Walker or Paxton has to be healthy.
    It will also come down to whether or not ownership will make the necessary move to get another bat either with morales or at the deadline.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    They won the other day against Max Scherzer, and without Cano, how often is that going to happen.