Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What grade would you give Scott Woodward as a football AD?

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,595
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2014
    B

D

Positives:
    Stadium...hadn't seen it but the response has been positive.
    Wasn't sold on Peterman considering the last 2 Boise St. coaches that moved on, but coming around.

Negatives:
    Hired Sark for outrageous sums of unnecessary money in 2008...absolutely idiotic hire at the time, and even dumber considering how much he paid him.
    Extended Sark in 2010 for even larger sums of money after a 7-6 season.
    Put up with Sark's crap for 5 years.
    Paid Nick Holt god knows how much money for being incompetent.
    Part of the group of ADs that brought in Utah and Colorado (per his bio) to the Pac 10.
    Was acting AD starting in Jan '08, full-time AD starting Sept '08, yet Ty still had a job till the end of Oct @‌ when everyone and their mother saw it was a cluster from year 1 (2005). The team quit on Ty from day 1 of that season, yet little Woody either didn't see it or knew and didn't act on it. Either case is damning to him.
    Number of Rose Bowls in his tenure: 0
    Number of Top 20 finishes in his tenure: 0
    Number of times we have finished winless in a season under him: 1 (first time in Pac since '80 Beavers?)

Win baby...we do that and he might start looking better. If not maybe he can be a stunt double for Peter Dinklage on Game of Thrones.

-HH

When I was interviewing people for my Willingham book, several players told me that Woodward and Jen Cohn in the athletic department were apologizing profusely throughout the 2008 season for Willingham's behavior toward the players. But they were scared to not let him finish out the season for fear of being called racist. I don't know for 100% sure, but I do believe that it was an edict handed down by Emmert.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,956
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    D

D

Positives:
    Wasn't sold on Peterman considering the last 2 Boise St. coaches that moved on, but coming around.

Negatives:
    Hired Sark for outrageous sums of unnecessary money in 2008...absolutely idiotic hire at the time, and even dumber considering how much he paid him.
    Part of the group of ADs that brought in Utah and Colorado (per his bio) to the Pac 10.
    Was acting AD starting in Jan '08, full-time AD starting Sept '08, yet Ty still had a job till the end of Oct @‌ when everyone and their mother saw it was a cluster from year 1 (2005). The team quit on Ty from day 1 of that season, yet little Woody either didn't see it or knew and didn't act on it. Either case is damning to him.
    Number of times we have finished winless in a season under him: 1 (first time in Pac since '80 Beavers?)

Win baby...we do that and he might start looking better. If not maybe he can be a stunt double for Peter Dinklage on Game of Thrones.

-HH

When I was interviewing people for my Willingham book, several players told me that Woodward and Jen Cohn in the athletic department were apologizing profusely throughout the 2008 season for Willingham's behavior toward the players. But they were scared to not let him finish out the season for fear of being called racist. I don't know for 100% sure, but I do believe that it was an edict handed down by Emmert.
    That may explain part of it for some (not me...just shows he doesn't have the balls for the job if he thought he should fire him but didn't do everything he could to do it), but it does not explain the absolutely bizarre decision of firing Ty while still letting him coach out the season. And if he did know how bad it was and was apologizing to everybody for it then its an even more damning fact.

He followed that up by overpaying for a college coordinator that he couldn't even convince to start working for 3 or 4 weeks, and we became his training gig for the type of jobs he really wanted (anyone really surprised Sark bolted and really thought he was going to be here for 20 years? I'm in the minority here, but I think he's going to do ok at USC...we were his training school. He should have learned a lot of what to do and not do while he was here...I'm actually kinda interested to see if any of it stuck).

Piss-poor managing by Pool Boy...its a big hole to climb out of. But hey, we win a Rose Bowl and I'll change my tune.

-HH
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,980
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    A

D

Positives:

Negatives:

-HH

That may explain part of it for some (not me...just shows he doesn't have the balls for the job if he thought he should fire him but didn't do everything he could to do it), but it does not explain the absolutely bizarre decision of firing Ty while still letting him coach out the season. And if he did know how bad it was and was apologizing to everybody for it then its an even more damning fact.

He followed that up by overpaying for a college coordinator that he couldn't even convince to start working for 3 or 4 weeks, and we became his training gig for the type of jobs he really wanted (anyone really surprised Sark bolted and really thought he was going to be here for 20 years? I'm in the minority here, but I think he's going to do ok at USC...we were his training school. He should have learned a lot of what to do and not do while he was here...I'm actually kinda interested to see if any of it stuck).

Piss-poor managing by Pool Boy...its a big hole to climb out of. But hey, we win a Rose Bowl and I'll change my tune.

-HH
    I've long felt this to be the case as well.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    B

D

Positives:

Negatives:

-HH

-HH
    I wasn't disagreeing with your entire argument, but merely pointing out an important detail that I believe you had wrong.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    B
    Not really that related to whether Woodward is a good AD or not, but did he offer Mora the job before Petersen? Or was Petersen actually the #1 the whole time?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    B

Not really that related to whether Woodward is a good AD or not, but did he offer Mora the job before Petersen? Or was Petersen actually the #1 the whole time?

I don't know if we'll ever know for sure but if I had to guess Mora was option #1. In Derek's book about Ty in that book Woodward said he went to Mora first before he declined then he settled on Sark.

I don't know if you can ever prove it but I do believe the rumors that Woodward met with Mora when UW played UCLA that week has some truth to it. I don't know if those two directly talked but I bet Woodward spoke to a representative of Mora that week.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    A
    I bet Mora was definitely #1 but they probably had Petersen as #1b, thinking Mora would be hard to get. I wonder if Nussmeier was really #3 or just a smoke screen.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    B

I bet Mora was definitely #1 but they probably had Petersen as #1b, thinking Mora would be hard to get. I wonder if Nussmeier was really #3 or just a smoke screen.

I never believed the Nussmeier rumor. There was no way we would stoop that low. Woodward knew he had to get someone. You would think that was common sense. You don't hire a coordinator when you are a legitimate top 25 team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    B

I never believed the Nussmeier rumor. There was no way we would stoop that low. Woodward knew he had to get someone. You would think that was common sense. You don't hire a coordinator when you are a legitimate top 25 team.
    I don't believe it either as Woodward would have put himself on the hot seat. You can't let your head coach leave to your rival and hire another coordinator. That is WSU status right there.

It's still laughable that Kim would rather have had an OC who was let go of his OC duties to be head coach over a guy who is 92-12. Yet that little sack of shit has the gall to say we have the agenda even though his only fucking question to Petersen was about access.

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A
    Peterman is the coach. Everything else is bullshit to me.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A

D

Positives:

Negatives:

-HH

-HH
    There is a gigantic flaw in this theory. Sark thinks he did a great job at UW. He thinks he is a great coach that was weighed down by 0-12 and a program that wasn't big enough for him. I don't think Sark learned a single thing that has any actual value. You can't learn if you think you already know it all.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    B

Many people within the UW athletic department thought Mora had been hired, just 2-3 days prior to Petersen being announced as the new head coach.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    B
    This is very true.

Many people within the UW athletic department thought Mora had been hired, just 2-3 days prior to Petersen being announced as the new head coach.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    F

Rose Bowls are the gold standard, no doubt. But in most cases, credit is owed more to the coach than the AD. Easy example: How many here would give high marks to Hedges, just because James and Neuheisel won roses on her watch?

If Petersen wins roses soon, I'd probably elevate Pool Boy from an F to a D.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    B

D

Positives:

Negatives:

-HH

-HH
    There is a gigantic flaw in this theory. Sark thinks he did a great job at UW. He thinks he is a great coach that was weighed down by 0-12 and a program that wasn't big enough for him. I don't think Sark learned a single thing that has any actual value. You can't learn if you think you already know it all.
    Agree. A lot of talk about learning on the job. What good coach showed as little as Sark in his first five years? I think the learning on the job shit has been mentioned enough times that some people think it is true.

Saban- 10 win season in year 5. Probably the best example the learning on the job guys can use, but Saban is pretty different than Sark.

Meyer- success at Bowling Green, and won a BCS bowl at Utah.

Stoops- national title in year 2.

Petersen- BCS bowl win in year 1.

Malzahn- title appearance in year 1.

I think what we've seen out of Sark is all there is to him. His team this year really isn't that talented either. UW might have more talent than USC. A great coach can overcome sanctions, but there is no way Sark will.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    A
    Regarding wanting Nuss...Kims gonna Kim.

Saban had an SRS breakthrough in year 3 (I think 20th ranked team) and I think it was year 4 when he beat the #1 team late in the season as well as beating another top 10 team. Year 5 he was top 10.

So a very careful evaluation of Saban would have showed that was very close to breaking through in year 3.

• Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    B
    I would say a B+. I agree that Haden came to the rescue, Scott might have been talking with Peterson prior, but that is speculation. Retaining the basketball coach is dumb, I thought he should have moved on that one two years ago. The stadium, getting Peterson, be willing to spend what it takes, and potential. He is young so I'm giving him some points for future potential. He has improved on the job. I can't think of any PAC 12 AD I would trade him for.
  • Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    B
    I love all the explanations of people's votes. (Sarcasm)

:-@