Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What grade would you give Scott Woodward as a football AD?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
edited April 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
I'll ignore the other sports because quite frankly if the football program is running on all cylinders I can stomach the other sports being poor. Conversely if the football program is doing terrible regardless of the other sports I'm in a sour mood.

Had I asked this pole in October I'm sure most of the votes would be an F. So I'm curious what grade would you give the artist formally known as Pool Boy as our AD so far?

What grade would you give Scott Woodward as a football AD? 70 votes

A
10%
BennyBeaverHeretoBeatmyChestPurpleThunderpriapismoregonblitzkriegpawzallpurpleallgold 7 votes
B
55%
DerekJohnsonTierbsHsotBoobsCFetters_Nacho_LoverFire_Marshall_BillPostGameOrangeSliceschrisvashonRoadDawg55[Deleted User]dhdawgLoneStarDawgPurpleJAtomicDawgDennis_DeYoungUWhuskytskeetGladstoneCokeGreaterThanPepsiDugtheDoogdncalumni942001400ex 39 votes
C
25%
SwayetopdawgncwhlinderApostleofGriefvadawgRaccoonHarryDawgtonaMad_SonAZDuckCuntWafflegmono_uhchuckMosster47SacValleyDawgNotTheCasephineasRon_Fairly 18 votes
D
4%
HouhuskyMeekHoustonHusky 3 votes
F
4%
ThomasFremontTTJMadHusky 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    B
    I'm going to give him a B. He has his faults but going forward I like what I'm seeing.

- Got the Husky Stadium deal done. Deserves credit for that
    - Spent a ton of money for a new defensive staff. I know he ignored the problem(Sark) but no AD since Lude had shown that type of commitment.
    - Didn't give Sark an extension like we had all feared after the 4-0 start or even after the Apple Cup win
    - Didn't panic when Sark was leaving to USC, didn't even attempt to keep him
    - Stole away the one coach many AD's have tried to steal but failed. He brought in Petersen four days after Sark left which tells me they had been talking long before then.
    - Hired the most established coach in UW history at the time of their hire.

For all that I'll give him a B but curious what your grade would be.

Yes I know invalid pole for no "Hardy Har Har".
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2014
    B
    Got the stadium done. Let SC take sark. Sometimes I wonder if there was more skill to making this happen on his part or not. But the Athletic Dept definitely did not try to keep Sark.

One glaring Black Eye still for having Damon Huard on the radio broadcasts. I know it sounds petty but ruins my experience as a fan. There are more important things but this part is just SOOOOOO bad and such an easy fix I would like to see it done.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,844
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    A
    A.

At the end of the day, he got a beautiful new stadium done and he got an Adult to run the football program. Both in-spite of long odds against.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,310
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    C
    Ways to improve:

Football team wins Pac 12/Rose Bowl/Natty
    Remove media credentials of Doogman/Realdoog
    Hire better hoops coach
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    A
    I wouldn't give him an A but he's closer to an A than B. I was thinking more like A-.

Positives are stadium, upgrading Sark's staff and then letting Sark go and getting Petersen. The negatives are minimal such as changing the broadcast team and having questionable marketing.

The Sark hire was mediocre but the investment in the new staff pushed UW into the top 20 (advanced metrics) in two years. A year ago I said his legacy or the decider would come down to how he handled Sark. We knew the likely outcome was Sark would win enough games not to get fired but not win enough to field a championship program.

The key was having a smooth transition from Sark to something better that could take us to the championship level immediately. Although USC helped Woodward, he deserves huge kudos for letting Sark go and replacing him with Petersen.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,576
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    B
    He's like the kid with average intelligence that scrapes by with a B and gets into a state school, just by showing up to class and turning in their homework on time.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    B
    pawz said:

A.

At the end of the day, he got a beautiful new stadium done and he got an Adult to run the football program. Both in-spite of long odds against.

Both true, and both A worthy efforts.

OTOH, kept Ty for a fourth year and hired Sark.

That's not an A.

I'd give him an A for the last two years, but a B overall.
  • Options
    B
    I give him a B instead of an A due to USC stealing Sark. Had Woodward fired Sark then snatched up Petersen then he'd get an A. He got lucky in that USC stole Sark.

What he didn't get lucky on was not making a panic move to keep Sark and stealing Petersen. I actually think a big reason Sark left was Woodward wasn't going to extend him. I think Woodward was tired of his act and so were some boosters.

I don't think Woodward fires Sark unless BYU just plunger raped us but I think Sark was going to enter this year in lame duck status as Woodward was more than happy to let him LEAVE! Which is what he eventually did.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    F
    Fell ass backwards into the one good decision he's ever made: Hiring Petersen.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,098
    C
    He'd get an A if we didn't languish under Sark for an extra year (and hire him in the first place).
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2014
    B
    TTJ said:

Fell ass backwards into the one good decision he's ever made: Hiring Petersen.

I gave him a B because results are results, but he did luck out by Pat Haden being dumb enough to hire Sark. I'm not sure what grade to give him. He could be a total fucktard, but somehow he has gotten good things done.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    D
    D because I honestly don't have faith that without our friend Pat Haden we'd still be living in House Sarkisian.... I hated the Sark hire from day 1 and it made zero sense that Woody took that risk... also I'm going to add in the relationship with our other good friend Mark "But Why Was He a Bad President" Emmert.

The uniforms are a fucking dreckfest too... white helmets? black shit everywhere?

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,232
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    B
    dnc said:

pawz said:

A.

Both true, and both A worthy efforts.

OTOH, kept Ty for a fourth year and hired Sark.

That's not an A.

I'd give him an A for the last two years, but a B overall.
    Turner was the AD when Willingham was retained. Woodward did not officially become the AD until August 2008.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,887
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited April 2014
    B
    I took some shit for defending him on Dawgbored, was called a Doog etc., so if it was some of you go fuck yourself. This was probably about November of 2012. Anyway, I'd give him a B. As fun as it is the pile on Sarkisian, that hire left the program in a place where a good coach can take it to the next level. He got the stadium done in THIS economy, and I'm almost positive Peterson will do really well. I haven't been this excited about a football hire since Holmgren.
  • Options
    B
    Sark leaving to USC was total luck.

However, some of you aren't giving him nearly enough credit for snatching up Petersen or getting the stadium deal done.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    A
    A, at least right now. He made a smart hire. I don't know much about him otherwise.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,605
    Founders Club
    B
    B+ with the possibility to earn an A. UW was a fucking disaster when he got here, and the trajectory has been nothing but upward since he has arrived. If Peterman does what we think he will, and if Romar gets axed, Woody will be a legend around these parts.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,642
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    C
    I'd say B- if it was an option.

He could raise it to an A- by making a good replacement of Romar.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,887
    Founders Club
    B

Sark leaving to USC was total luck.

However, some of you aren't giving him nearly enough credit for snatching up Petersen or getting the stadium deal done.

It probably wasn't 100%, gee-I-won-Publisher's-Clearinghouse luck. Sark was probably talking to HADENFS In October, or their people were talking to each other, and Woodward probably knew about it.