Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What grade would you give Scott Woodward as a football AD?

Comments

• Options
    DawgtonaDawgtona Member Posts: 705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    C
    C Just for keeping Ty around after firing him.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,956
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    D
    D

Positives:
    Stadium...hadn't seen it but the response has been positive.
    Wasn't sold on Peterman considering the last 2 Boise St. coaches that moved on, but coming around.

Negatives:
    Hired Sark for outrageous sums of unnecessary money in 2008...absolutely idiotic hire at the time, and even dumber considering how much he paid him.
    Extended Sark in 2010 for even larger sums of money after a 7-6 season.
    Put up with Sark's crap for 5 years.
    Paid Nick Holt god knows how much money for being incompetent.
    Part of the group of ADs that brought in Utah and Colorado (per his bio) to the Pac 10.
    Was acting AD starting in Jan '08, full-time AD starting Sept '08, yet Ty still had a job till the end of Oct @‌ when everyone and their mother saw it was a cluster from year 1 (2005). The team quit on Ty from day 1 of that season, yet little Woody either didn't see it or knew and didn't act on it. Either case is damning to him.
    Number of Rose Bowls in his tenure: 0
    Number of Top 20 finishes in his tenure: 0
    Number of times we have finished winless in a season under him: 1 (first time in Pac since '80 Beavers?)

Win baby...we do that and he might start looking better. If not maybe he can be a stunt double for Peter Dinklage on Game of Thrones.

-HH
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    B

Sark leaving to USC was total luck.

However, some of you aren't giving him nearly enough credit for snatching up Petersen or getting the stadium deal done.

It probably wasn't 100%, gee-I-won-Publisher's-Clearinghouse luck. Sark was probably talking to HADENFS In October, or their people were talking to each other, and Woodward probably knew about it.
    It was luck that USC who could hire any coach they want and had plenty of months to get a head start settled on Sark.

That was luck. Now the rest of what Woodward did he deserves credit. Deserves credit for never giving Sark an extension and obviously stealing Petersen deserves a lot of credit.

No AD has stolen him, many have tried and failed. That alone earns him a passing grade.
  • Options
    Ron_FairlyRon_Fairly Member Posts: 368
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    C
    I need to C a championship
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    B
    He is B or B- ish ... But ... He is trending upwards. His recent football efforts are A material.

Needs a BB coach ...
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    B
    As a football ad he's a solid B. When you add basketball he's probably a C-, IMO
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    C
    Your AD is still pretty much a complete fucktard. He got lucky with Sark, and made a good right decision hiring Peterman. I wonder if Peterman sought the job out rather than vice-versa. Financing facilities is what any competent AD should be able to do.

Let it fucking play out with your basketball corch before you anoint this guy.
  • Options
    BabsGilbyTawdTyBabsGilbyTawdTy Member Posts: 1,058
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    B
    AZDuck said:

Your AD is still pretty much a complete fucktard. He got lucky with Sark, and made a good right decision hiring Peterman. I wonder if Peterman sought the job out rather than vice-versa. Financing facilities is what any competent AD should be able to do.

Your opinion means less here than Ken Griswold's.

GFY Duck.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Silly Q so forgive me in advance but, shouldn't the world's greatest recruiter, play caller and dude brah buddy coach achieve something higher than the conference's 7th place bowl game after he's gotten all his own guys in here and developed them for years, in order to receive an "A" grade?
  • Options
    B

Silly Q so forgive me in advance but, shouldn't the world's greatest recruiter, play caller and dude brah buddy coach achieve something higher than the conference's 7th place bowl game after he's gotten all his own guys in here and developed them for years, in order to receive an "A" grade?

We aren't grading Sark. Work on your material. It's not good.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    C
    ::swoon::

AZDuck said:

Your opinion means less here than Ken Griswold's.

GFY Duck.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,533
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    B
    Pretty much how I feel.

There hasn't been just a smooth transition, it's been a desperately joyous change for those who haven't our heads up our asses!

Another thing I love is that two potential All Pac-12 guys (Baker and McGary) would not be coming to Montlake unless Sloppy Steve was gone. Would venture to guess that Henry Roberts wouldn't really be looking at U Dub either...maybe Branch too (if he gets an offer).

I wouldn't give him an A but he's closer to an A than B. I was thinking more like A-.

Positives are stadium, upgrading Sark's staff and then letting Sark go and getting Petersen. The negatives are minimal such as changing the broadcast team and having questionable marketing.

The Sark hire was mediocre but the investment in the new staff pushed UW into the top 20 (advanced metrics) in two years. A year ago I said his legacy or the decider would come down to how he handled Sark. We knew the likely outcome was Sark would win enough games not to get fired but not win enough to field a championship program.

The key was having a smooth transition from Sark to something better that could take us to the championship level immediately. Although USC helped Woodward, he deserves huge kudos for letting Sark go and replacing him with Petersen.

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,972
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    B

Sark leaving to USC was total luck.

However, some of you aren't giving him nearly enough credit for snatching up Petersen or getting the stadium deal done.

It probably wasn't 100%, gee-I-won-Publisher's-Clearinghouse luck. Sark was probably talking to HADENFS In October, or their people were talking to each other, and Woodward probably knew about it.
    It was luck that USC who could hire any coach they want and had plenty of months to get a head start settled on Sark.

That was luck. Now the rest of what Woodward did he deserves credit. Deserves credit for never giving Sark an extension and obviously stealing Petersen deserves a lot of credit.

No AD has stolen him, many have tried and failed. That alone earns him a passing grade.
    possibly disagree

The effects of the reduced starships don't go away until 2017 or 2018. If you're Jack Del River or Kevin Sumlin, you're looking at some struggles for a few years. Some yrs. you might do fairly well if there aren't injuries, but eventually there will be since it's football. Some of those guys might have hesitated.

On the other hand, Sark probably thinks he's hot shit, wants to move home, is eager to please, and is excited to just be at the West Coast fball power. We probably don't know what his salary is since its a private school, but he probably didn't demand shitkickin' $$$$$$EC $.
  • Options
    B
    I'm surprised Boobs gave him a B. I figured he'd give him a C at best.

Good to see Fremont is the last one standing leading the resistance.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    C
    SarkFS was a bad hire and Petersen on paper looks to be a good one so it evens itself out. Would have probably been a B if the MVP or the UW AD wasn't Pat Haden.
  • Options
    PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Lil' Woody is easily the 2nd best AD in the pac.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited April 2014
    B
    I'd say a solid B. The embarrassing moments preclude him from the A-range, but trending upwards.