Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is this the worst class of the last 20 years?

13»

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Good thing we were young at most positions last year. Should have our 2 deeps mostly set for the next couple years... Deboer has a full cupboard to work with which is more than could be said about what Sark had.

Dawgs have a good year next year we should get back on the recruiting train a bit better.

Sark had 9 future NFL players on his first roster
    A top-heavy team with very little depth behind the talent.

Hence my reference to 2 deeps.
    Sark had more to work with than Deboer does.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Good thing we were young at most positions last year. Should have our 2 deeps mostly set for the next couple years... Deboer has a full cupboard to work with which is more than could be said about what Sark had.

Dawgs have a good year next year we should get back on the recruiting train a bit better.

No he didn’t. We started Josh Gage at LB. Truffaut started at CB from day one and we didn’t have another. Nate Fellner started at safety. The OL was even worse than ours now. Talia Crichton started as a true freshman. Sark had better skill guys and a QB.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

No he didn’t. We started Josh Gage at LB. Truffaut started at CB from day one and we didn’t have another. Nate Fellner started at safety. The OL was even worse than ours now. Talia Crichton started as a true freshman. Sark had better skill guys and a QB.
    Disagree. The '09 team runs for more than 64 yards against Montana and wins. Nobody would run a two-minute offense on the '09 defense by running continuously off-tackle.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Disagree. The '09 team runs for more than 64 yards against Montana and wins. Nobody would run a two-minute offense on the '09 defense by running continuously off-tackle.
    Sadly enough, Sarkisian could coordinate circles around anyone who has been here since him. He has all kinds of flaws as a play caller, but he did find things that worked at times and could get a hot hand. Plus he had a good runner at QB who could bail him out on bad calls and busted plays. Sark had better talent at QB and RB for sure, but that's about it.

I think it will show this season. I think it's easy to underestimate how badly the culture cratered under Lake. Players were visibly out of shape and down on their strength, but more than anything they weren't playing hard. You can't get away with not playing hard in football.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I agree with the first point. Polk was way better than any RB we had last year. We might have won if Lake played McGrew against Montana. We surely would have won if Lake hired anyone but John Donovan to be the OC. It’s a fair point by you tho.

And we all bash Locker, myself included, but he is way better than Morris was last year. And those are important positions.

The 09 defense was terrible tho. Remember ASU hitting a bomb to a guy wide open? Notre Dame did whatever they wanted. Oregon State was up on us like 35-0 at halftime. Toby Gerhart is still running. They absolutely could have ran off tackle every play and scored a TD in 2 min.

Sark didn’t inherit the 09 team anyways. He inherited 08. Every team did whatever they wanted to UW in 08 because they sucked and quit after the BYU game. The 08 team would have lost to Montana. Possibly by double digits without Locker. Polk was an unproven RB that got hurt. Kearse hadn’t done much. Kelemete was playing DL in 08.

Sark sucks but I’ve always felt you guys propped up lackluster talent as a data point for him being a shitty coach.

Both teams sucked. It is debatable, but DeBoer is inheriting more talent and depth, even if much of it is overrated TBS bullshit.