Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is this the worst class of the last 20 years?

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Looks like it to me. I didn't look tbh.

Comments

• Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,129
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Sarks first was really bad
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,901
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

This is probably on par with Sark's first class.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    How was Pete's first class received on signing day? I truly don't recall, but I'm optimistic that we hated it at the time and look back on it more fondly now because his talent evaluation was superior to the general populace so the presumed scrubs were studs.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

This is probably on par with Sark's first class.
    Sark's first class had Trufant and Price, so we'll need to see at least 2 major contributors for this to be on par with that class.

But that depends if we're counting transfers or 10* commits (like ZTF)
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,496
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm glad we're asking this question again. I guess I'm giving the staff a pass on this one but it's not encouraging. Gilby's second class was abysmal too.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,304
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm glad we're asking this question again. I guess I'm giving the staff a pass on this one but it's not encouraging. Gilby's second class was abysmal too.

No one could answer the tough questions
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2022
    So in the top three worst classes of the last 20 years, but not the absolute worst. Good deal. Nowhere to go but up. Or the trash can.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,568
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

So in the top three worst classes of the last 20 years, but not the absolute worst. Good deal. Nowhere to go but up. Or the trash can.

Calm yourself my native brother. Pete’s class outside of flipping Buddha and snagging McGary was panned around here for its predominant MWC flavor. On a whole the average rating per player was lower than Boners first class. Otton is a stud and I really like Dunn. Some high end contributors came out of that 2014 class. At least two, probably three years until we can decide if we hate these guys or not.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Calm yourself my native brother. Pete’s class outside of flipping Buddha and snagging McGary was panned around here for its predominant MWC flavor. On a whole the average rating per player was lower than Boners first class. Otton is a stud and I really like Dunn. Some high end contributors came out of that 2014 class. At least two, probably three years until we can decide if we hate these guys or not.
    I just assume I will hate them until I don't.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2022

Sarks first class had an average rating of .814. It was epically bad. This class is .857. Trufant and Price were really the only players from the 2009 class that made a positive impact. Most burned out before ever seeing the field. This class will have more than two contribute positively to winning. I’m certain of it.

That is a pretty big difference. But I did read somewhere that recruiting scores have been gradually inflated since Sark's first year. Many more 3-5 star players now than there were over 10 years ago. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Even that isn't guaranteed yet. Top five worst is pretty likely, but Sark had at least one class in the conversation beside his first, and Ty had at least two. RNs 7 WR class could be right there too.

Still pretty grim. Tallest midget is about the best we can hope for in terms of class quality.
    Mad_Son said:

How was Pete's first class received on signing day? I truly don't recall, but I'm optimistic that we hated it at the time and look back on it more fondly now because his talent evaluation was superior to the general populace so the presumed scrubs were studs.

Mad_Son said:

A mix of LIPO and customary HH doom and gloom. Most were only looking at the surface, snagging guys from the Mtn West, and mocked it. Some of us were pretty impressed with several of the lesser rated guys like Gaines, Jones, and Pettis and weren't surprised when the class graded out well in retrospect.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,543
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    This staff took a bunch of 2 and 0 stars and made Fresneck belong against the Pac 12

Lipo
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

This staff took a bunch of 2 and 0 stars and made Fresneck belong against the Pac 12

Lipo

Which doesn't mean that will keep being the primary recruiting pool. It's obvious they are swinging big for the upcoming classes. We'll get to judge whether they can get those guys in a few months.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,541
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Here is Sark's full class and Scout's ranking

Batts
    Fellner
    Barnett
    Crichton
    Tucker
    Trufant
    Tivao
    Mafoe
    Shamburger
    Tokolahi
    Makaula
    Pulu
    Gaisie
    Mahan
    Boyce
    Wallace
    Robinson (Chris not Nate)
    Price
    Johnson

I recognize Cricton, Trufant, Shamburger, Pulu, Price, and Johnson
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

Here is Sark's full class and Scout's ranking

Batts
    Fellner
    Barnett
    Crichton
    Tucker
    Trufant
    Tivao
    Mafoe
    Shamburger
    Tokolahi
    Makaula
    Pulu
    Gaisie
    Mahan
    Boyce
    Wallace
    Robinson (Chris not Nate)
    Price
    Johnson

I recognize Cricton, Trufant, Shamburger, Pulu, Price, and Johnson

Amazing. Thing is that Sark had a lot of time (no early signing date) and was coming from SC, where he should've had ins with a fair number of guys who were willing to consider following him. One wouldve thought there were at least a few feunge guys who SV receuited but didnt wnd up offering.

There was no excuse. He simply didn't recruit.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,568
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Didn’t Pulu curb stomp a kid and end up at Eastern?
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    If you think this class is bad, wait until next year.