Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

College Playoffs suck

13»

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,576 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022
    FireCohen said:

Even the most diehard CFB fan has to acknowledge that the NFL has had the superior product for the better part of two decades now.

It's honestly impressive how they do it. They rule with an iron fist, crush dissenters, bulldoze the players union, sustain scandal after scandal and threats of cancellation from soft shit losers on both ends of the spectrum, and then continue to print money while putting out one of the most consistently fantastic products in sports. The entire world now knows that the sport turns participants' brains into jelly, and yet business is booming with no signs of slowing down. Roger Goodell is the most hated man in sports while also being the most capable and successful commissioner we've ever seen. They're a fuck paradox of winning and fuck you if you don't like it.

Unlike the NBA, the patience are not running the asylum.
    W,jw.

@YellowSnow and his 63 minutes...
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,246
    FireCohen said:

theLSkid said:

TheHB said:

I’ve always enjoyed watching the best players in the world play.

The NFL used to be a little too conservative and every offense was the same. That isn’t the case anymore. Teams go for it on 4th down on the wrong side of the 50. I mean, we root for a team that once punted on 4th and 1 at the Oregon 39 yard line.

The Chargers probably didn’t make the playoffs because they were too aggressive going for it on 4th down.

The Chargers didn't make the play off because I'm not allowed to have nice things.

I attended many a San Diego Chargers loss in a half empty Jack Murphy stadium in the 80s. Then I realized in 1990 I could start liking UW because my dad was an alumni and this college football thing was way more fun.

Now I'm back to square one with a big dick Duck QB and no Super Bowl prospects.
    I'm calling it now. Chargers in Super Bowl 2023. The salary cap is gonna hit most of the other good teams in the AFC, except Cincinnati -- but I don't see the Bengals going back-to-back. It's kind of a miracle they made it this year. Chargers have a lot of room to make some moves to help the duck. (Shore up that D-line against the rush maybe?)

#MyBolts
    If the chargers fix their run defense I agree, I think they can make a deep playoff run.
    But disagree with the bengals, should have all of the WRs back and Joey B, if they can get a couple decent olinemen they should be just as good if not better, but that’s a lot easier said than done

Bengals got a 2 year window until they have to start paying players.
    Yes, but as long as you have the franchise qb you will be in the playoffs.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,246

Rodgers won a SB then started losing conference title games

Wilson won a SB then lost one then years of playoff loses

Mahomes with 2 SB and 1 win with 4 straight conference title games is about as good as it gets for QBs not named Brady

McVey is at his second SB with his second QB. The Gibbs method

Burrow and the Bengals need to take advantage. This shit is fleeting

Burrow needs to have a talk with Dan Marino before the big game.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

FireCohen said:

theLSkid said:

TheHB said:

I’ve always enjoyed watching the best players in the world play.

The NFL used to be a little too conservative and every offense was the same. That isn’t the case anymore. Teams go for it on 4th down on the wrong side of the 50. I mean, we root for a team that once punted on 4th and 1 at the Oregon 39 yard line.

The Chargers probably didn’t make the playoffs because they were too aggressive going for it on 4th down.

The Chargers didn't make the play off because I'm not allowed to have nice things.

I attended many a San Diego Chargers loss in a half empty Jack Murphy stadium in the 80s. Then I realized in 1990 I could start liking UW because my dad was an alumni and this college football thing was way more fun.

Now I'm back to square one with a big dick Duck QB and no Super Bowl prospects.
    I'm calling it now. Chargers in Super Bowl 2023. The salary cap is gonna hit most of the other good teams in the AFC, except Cincinnati -- but I don't see the Bengals going back-to-back. It's kind of a miracle they made it this year. Chargers have a lot of room to make some moves to help the duck. (Shore up that D-line against the rush maybe?)

#MyBolts
    If the chargers fix their run defense I agree, I think they can make a deep playoff run.
    But disagree with the bengals, should have all of the WRs back and Joey B, if they can get a couple decent olinemen they should be just as good if not better, but that’s a lot easier said than done

Bengals got a 2 year window until they have to start paying players.
    Yes, but as long as you have the franchise qb you will be in the playoffs.
    Yup, like the Seahawks
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,615 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

CFB used to be a more passionate game than the NFL. It's the other way around now.

Watching the same 3-5 CFB programs duke it out every year is just a total fail.

We are about to watch a Bengals vs. Rams Super Bowl. That's roughly equivalent to a Purdue vs. Cal National Championship. How likely is that? CFB is broken. Completely.
    I don't know. This is the fourth SB the Lambs have made since 1999. They were always pretty good in the 70s and 80s, but just not good enough to make a SB (I think they made it once in 1979 but lost). Sort of like the Seahawks for the last six or seven years).

The BenGALS definitely came out of nowhere though. I thought I won money on them against the Titans, but MGM sucks and throws in stupid parlays I didn't even see.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,739
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

CFB used to be a more passionate game than the NFL. It's the other way around now.

We are about to watch a Bengals vs. Rams Super Bowl. That's roughly equivalent to a Purdue vs. Cal National Championship. How likely is that? CFB is broken. Completely.
    I don't know. This is the fourth SB the Lambs have made since 1999. They were always pretty good in the 70s and 80s, but just not good enough to make a SB (I think they made it once in 1979 but lost). Sort of like the Seahawks for the last six or seven years).

The BenGALS definitely came out of nowhere though. I thought I won money on them against the Titans, but MGM sucks and throws in stupid parlays I didn't even see.
    My bigger point is that teams CAN come out of nowhere and win, or be sort of second tier and win. That's the entire problem with where CFB is at. There are legit 5 teams that can win every year, and three of them are in the SEC. It's fucking Groundhog Day, and only getting worse (thanks to NIL).

After all the dust settles with NIL there will be 4-6 teams that clearly separate themselves (we have Karen Ramming so we have no hope of being one of them) and those teams will dominate CFB for the next couple decades until the next seismic shift.

I just looked at the NC's from the 80's. Miami had a pretty good little dynasty going in the 80s, but even with that, in other years all kinds of teams won (blue bloods to surprises like BYU, and representing several conferences).

Georgia - SEC
    Clemson - ACC
    Penn State - IND
    Miami - IND
    BYU - WAC
    Oklahoma - Big 8
    Penn State - IND
    Miami - IND
    Notre Dame - IND
    Miami - IND

7 different teams in 10 years from 4 conferences with the other 6 wins from Independents. Holy shit. The 1980's look like a great time to be a CFB fan. Let's check in on the 90's and Nebraska's classy little mini dynasty!

Colorado/Georgia Tech (split) - Big 8 / ACC
    Washington/Miami (split) - Pac 10 / Big East
    Alabama - SEC
    Florida State - ACC
    Nebraska - Big 8
    Nebraska - Big 8
    Florida - SEC
    Michigan/Nebraska (split) - Big 10/ Big 12
    Tennessee - SEC
    Florida State - ACC

10 teams in 10 years (three splits helped this) representing 7 conferences (Big 8 became Big 12) which is basically every major conference that existed in America plus the Big East as a minor conference. What a time to be alive.

Contrast all that fun and competitive balance and geographic parity with the CFB landscape the last 10-11 years.

Alabama - SEC
    Alabama - SEC
    Florida State - ACC
    Ohio State - Big 10
    Alabama - SEC
    Clemson - ACC
    Alabama - SEC
    Clemson - SEC
    LSU - SEC
    Alabama - SEC
    Georgia - SEC

11 years 6 teams 3 conferences and outside of the one Ohio State win the other 10 years have ALL been southern teams in the ACC/SEC. Oh yeah, this looks like fun. For everybody in Alabama trailer parks. It's a fucking joke.

That was way too much work on a Wend morning. FML.
    And the CFB powers that be will say that a 12-team playoff is the way to solve this mess, when in fact that will do nothing.

There is no #10 seed that will win three games in a row against against the 3-5 perennial powerhouses and take home the title.

The split between tier 1 and everyone else has grown way too large.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Fuck!

Everything OK chuck?

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

My bigger point is that teams CAN come out of nowhere and win, or be sort of second tier and win. That's the entire problem with where CFB is at. There are legit 5 teams that can win every year, and three of them are in the SEC. It's fucking Groundhog Day, and only getting worse (thanks to NIL).

After all the dust settles with NIL there will be 4-6 teams that clearly separate themselves (we have Karen Ramming so we have no hope of being one of them) and those teams will dominate CFB for the next couple decades until the next seismic shift.

I just looked at the NC's from the 80's. Miami had a pretty good little dynasty going in the 80s, but even with that, in other years all kinds of teams won (blue bloods to surprises like BYU, and representing several conferences).

Georgia - SEC
    Clemson - ACC
    Penn State - IND
    Miami - IND
    BYU - WAC
    Oklahoma - Big 8
    Penn State - IND
    Miami - IND
    Notre Dame - IND
    Miami - IND

7 different teams in 10 years from 4 conferences with the other 6 wins from Independents. Holy shit. The 1980's look like a great time to be a CFB fan. Let's check in on the 90's and Nebraska's classy little mini dynasty!

Alabama - SEC
    Florida State - ACC
    Nebraska - Big 8
    Nebraska - Big 8
    Florida - SEC
    Tennessee - SEC
    Florida State - ACC

10 teams in 10 years (three splits helped this) representing 7 conferences (Big 8 became Big 12) which is basically every major conference that existed in America plus the Big East as a minor conference. What a time to be alive.

Contrast all that fun and competitive balance and geographic parity with the CFB landscape the last 10-11 years.

Alabama - SEC
    Alabama - SEC
    Florida State - ACC
    Ohio State - Big 10
    Alabama - SEC
    Clemson - ACC
    Alabama - SEC
    Clemson - SEC
    LSU - SEC
    Alabama - SEC
    Georgia - SEC

11 years 6 teams 3 conferences and outside of the one Ohio State win the other 10 years have ALL been southern teams in the ACC/SEC. Oh yeah, this looks like fun. For everybody in Alabama trailer parks. It's a fucking joke.

I would agree with what you said for the most part. The reality is though there are not a lot of colleges outside of the SEC that actually try. Acc has 2 (maybe 3 if Miami starts caring) Big 10 has a decent amount. Big 12 is small time. Pac 12 has Oregon and USC (Utah kind of but they are challenged).

I don’t know how you convince schools that don’t care about getting their ass kicked to start GAF. They have to be self starters. Until then, the SEC and a few others will widen the gap.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

chuck said:

Fuck!

Everything OK chuck?

Lmao. Thanks for asking. I lost a fight with the quote function, gave up and deleted a shit post that wasn't worthy of rhe 2 minutes of my time it burned.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,165
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Georgia - SEC
    Clemson - ACC
    Penn State - IND
    Miami - IND
    BYU - WAC
    Oklahoma - Big 8
    Penn State - IND
    Miami - IND
    Notre Dame - IND
    Miami - IND

Alabama - SEC
    Florida State - ACC
    Nebraska - Big 8
    Nebraska - Big 8
    Florida - SEC
    Tennessee - SEC
    Florida State - ACC

Alabama - SEC
    Alabama - SEC
    Florida State - ACC
    Ohio State - Big 10
    Alabama - SEC
    Clemson - ACC
    Alabama - SEC
    Clemson - SEC
    LSU - SEC
    Alabama - SEC
    Georgia - SEC

And nothing against Alabama trailer parks, they're full of fine people, but that's not a core demographic that's going to successfully sustain the sport as a top tier one.

It's not yet WNBA-west-coast-lesbian niche, but once a number of schools start shuttering their programs it'll get there in a hurry.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Georgia - SEC
    Clemson - ACC
    Penn State - IND
    Miami - IND
    BYU - WAC
    Oklahoma - Big 8
    Penn State - IND
    Miami - IND
    Notre Dame - IND
    Miami - IND

Alabama - SEC
    Florida State - ACC
    Nebraska - Big 8
    Nebraska - Big 8
    Florida - SEC
    Tennessee - SEC
    Florida State - ACC

Alabama - SEC
    Alabama - SEC
    Florida State - ACC
    Ohio State - Big 10
    Alabama - SEC
    Clemson - ACC
    Alabama - SEC
    Clemson - SEC
    LSU - SEC
    Alabama - SEC
    Georgia - SEC

And nothing against Alabama trailer parks, they're full of fine people, but that's not a core demographic that's going to successfully sustain the sport as a top tier one.

It's not yet WNBA-west-coast-lesbian niche, but once a number of schools start shuttering their programs it'll get there in a hurry.
    You just described professional wrestling and nascar. It’s definitely become a regional sport. I still like it. I get why some don’t.

Going to watch two sec or “good” big 10 teams play a big time regular season game has now become more appealing to flying back to uw to watch a game. I blame the leadership of the school, not the sport.