Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW Defense Thoughts Thread

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

5-9 180lbs doesn't scream Pac 12 safety to me. I could be wrong and he could even develop into that, but I am not excited at the thought of him starting. To me it tells me our safeties suck. If he was getting spot duty I would feel a lot better about it.

If he has amazing ball skills then that is great, but he is going to have to make a lot of tackles on people much bigger than him on a consistent basis if he is playing a lot of snaps. I would bet Sven's 20 bucks his shoulder doesn't last the entire conference season and then is spending the off season getting it repaired next spring.

Nickel corner at worst for Budda. He's probably as big as Parker was his first two years, and he is much faster/quicker. You make a valid point about his shoulder, but I don't think we have enough talent at CB/S for him not to be a heavy contributor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    The HHB's always love to point out all the times Eklund is wrong but what about the times he is right?

Has he ever been right about anything? Ever?!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The HHB's always love to point out all the times Eklund is wrong but what about the times he is right?

Has he ever been right about anything? Ever?!

Of course he has.

He was right that we had nothing to worry about when that silly girl reporter from Texas (blond?) tried to tell us Daeshon Hall might decommit.

He was right that Myles Jack was seriously considering UW and invited walk on Ryan Turman could be the X factor in his recruitment.

He was right that UW was not going to take Patrick Enewally.

He's right all the time. Stop twisting.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited April 2014

I loved the McGary to WSU/OSU prediction too because he likes to hunt and fish. Because we all know in Pullman and Corvalis you can wake up, grab your gun, and go into your backyard and hunt some deer/bear.

Reuben Foster loves to fish, therefore he will shock the world and come to UW.

He isn't telling anyone he's coming to UW though, because then some scary SEC coaches would talk him out of it. But he's coming to fish, you watch.
  • Options
    kh83kh83 Member Posts: 596
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    In reality, we can roll with a single high safety look (Budda) if Kelly can hold down the other corner spot. Assuming we get decent play from our LB's in pass looks will help cover up whoever is playing the in the box safety role in pass defense.
  • Options
    I really don't see Baker starting as a problem. Talented freshman start all the time and I'd feel better with him back there than a 5th year guy like Will Shamburger who was another Doog legend who totally sucked ass.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2014
    kh83 said:

In reality, we can roll with a single high safety look (Budda) if Kelly can hold down the other corner spot. Assuming we get decent play from our LB's in pass looks will help cover up whoever is playing the in the box safety role in pass defense.

assuming we get some heat from the edge. I can see that against half of our schedule but not sure we will have the pass rush. Technically we should between kikaha, shirley, hudson and Farria so not a bad thought. I don't know enough about how flexible Peterman was on their schemes though if that is something they would do.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I really don't see Baker starting as a problem. Talented freshman start all the time and I'd feel better with him back there than a 5th year guy like Will Shamburger who was another Doog legend who totally sucked ass.

Agree. He should be better than Shamburger. He will probably be better in coverage than Parker too.
  • Options
    kh83kh83 Member Posts: 596
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Petermans entire offense is predicated on flexibility - would be surprised if his d wasn't similar
  • Options
    The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The thing I hope for the defense this season is that one or two of our young DT step up. We have been pretty lucky the last couple years with Danny Shelton basically not missing a snap. I suspect an injury to him would have been the most damageable to the team. So let's see if we can give him a bit of help.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

The thing I hope for the defense this season is that one or two of our young DT step up. We have been pretty lucky the last couple years with Danny Shelton basically not missing a snap. I suspect an injury to him would have been the most damageable to the team. So let's see if we can give him a bit of help.

Yes this is a big key.

Kikaha coming back last year was huge for the DL. Kikaha, Tanigawa and Smith all came back healthy after missing 2012. Really fortunate for that...added at least 1 victory to the overall total.

Hopefully Qualls and Mathis can add push and Farria heat.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm most excited about Qualls. I want him to be a more mobile interior beast alongside big danny.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,571
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Looking forward to Lindquist taking the reigns on offense.

Colin Tanigawa's transition to RB is curious, to say the least. He certainly has the attitude and is ready to rumble; it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Or not.
  • Options

Hi Hugh!
  • Options
    Founders Club

Hi Hugh!
    You're thinking I'm racist for thinking Lindquist will win the QB comp? Because its seems like you're insinuating that I believe Lindquist will win because he is white.

You're the racist, More_Cock!!!

• Options

Hi Hugh!
    You're thinking I'm racist for thinking Lindquist will win the QB comp? Because its seems like you're insinuating that I believe Lindquist will win because he is white.

You are reading way too much into one simple sarkastic comment and badly pressing.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Hi Hugh!

You are reading way too much into one simple sarkastic comment and badly pressing.
    whoosh