Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW Defense Thoughts Thread

The UW defense gave up roughly the same amount of ppg in 2013 as 2012 (when you adjust for Idaho St game) yet the yards per play was down quite a bit and UW was 20th nationally and tied for 3rd in the pac-12 with USC behind UO & Stanford.

Gone are Parker, Fuimaono, Ducre, Shamburger, Watson.

2013 recruits of note to fill the depth chart are Mathis (so), Farria (so), Qualls at DL, O'Brien, Constantine, Bierra, Victor at LB, Kelly, Walker (so), King (so) at DB. I thought the 2013 recruiting class on D was excellent. All of the guys except one or two were highly recruited. Great timing with Petersen on board to develop these guys. I don't know who of these guys will have the biggest impact this season but hopefully its the DB's. Kelly was the scout team defense award winner last year. Maybe Budda and one of the other true frosh DB's can surprise.

Overall this should easily be the best defense since 1997 and have way more depth than any other group since then. With guys like Kikaha, Shelton, Shaq and Peters there is a lot of potential star power. Does anyone think any of these guys can be in the convo for All-American?

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,571
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

The UW defense gave up roughly the same amount of ppg in 2013 as 2012 (when you adjust for Idaho St game) yet the yards per play was down quite a bit and UW was 20th nationally and tied for 3rd in the pac-12 with USC behind UO & Stanford.

2013 recruits of note to fill the depth chart are Mathis (so), Farria (so), Qualls at DL, O'Brien, Constantine, Bierra, Victor at LB, Kelly, Walker (so), King (so) at DB. I thought the 2013 recruiting class on D was excellent. All of the guys except one or two were highly recruited. Great timing with Petersen on board to develop these guys. I don't know who of these guys will have the biggest impact this season but hopefully its the DB's. Kelly was the scout team defense award winner last year. Maybe Budda and one of the other true frosh DB's can surprise.

Overall this should easily be the best defense since 1997 and have way more depth than any other group since then. With guys like Kikaha, Shelton, Shaq and Peters there is a lot of potential star power. Does anyone think any of these guys can be in the convo for All-American?

Not the case
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

I'm not saying you are wrong but we haven't exactly had a good defense since 1997 and even 1997 we were all bitching and complaining about them while that season was going on.
  • Options
    LouieLouieLouieLouie Member Posts: 12
    First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    The only real loss from last year is Parker. Ducre would be nice with a lack of depth at CB but none of the other 3 were especially talented players. Feeney over Fui at OLB is a big upgrade. Budda over Shamburger could be an instant upgrade, and will definitely be a huge upgrade in the future. And Watson was more of a liability on defense than anything.

This defense has a chance to be real good with a lot of depth in the front 7 for the first time in what seems like forever. I expect Josh Shirley to absolutely blow up this year. He seemed like a guy who was in Sark's doghouse for whatever reason, and was never really put in a position to succeed.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I thought last year that our strength was our back 7 ...

This year I think our strength will be our front 7 ...

The LB corps should be a top 2-3 in the conference group.

Peters is a nice building block in the secondary. But ultimately this defense will be judged by how much the young kids grow up in the back.

One positive in our favor? The early season schedule is very forgiving to a team breaking in a young secondary.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If Budda is starting then we have a shitty backfield. His shoulder will last a couple of games before he is sidelined. Beaver or someone else needs to see dr feelgood this off season and claim that spot.
  • Options

If Budda is starting then we have a shitty backfield. His shoulder will last a couple of games before he is sidelined. Beaver or someone else needs to see dr feelgood this off season and claim that spot.

Disagree. He's a talented recruit who can do a lot of things. If he is starting I wouldn't look at that as a bad thing.

Beaver from what I've been reading is having a good spring and he was a highly sought after recruit who is entering his third year in the program. I look for him to have a big year for us.
  • Options
    5-9 180lbs doesn't scream Pac 12 safety to me. I could be wrong and he could even develop into that, but I am not excited at the thought of him starting. To me it tells me our safeties suck. If he was getting spot duty I would feel a lot better about it.

If he has amazing ball skills then that is great, but he is going to have to make a lot of tackles on people much bigger than him on a consistent basis if he is playing a lot of snaps. I would bet Sven's 20 bucks his shoulder doesn't last the entire conference season and then is spending the off season getting it repaired next spring.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    For comparison, Earl Thomas is 5-10, 202 lbs. I agree that it's worrisome for Baker to be starting as a true freshman but his isn't that far off what it needs to be.
  • Options
    Typically True Freshman that start a full season are built more like Sua Cravens at USC.

Feeney, King and Parker are 3 guys that I can think off of the top of my head recently that were forced into playing too soon and were injured.

I am not saying he needs to redshirt, but you would hope the underclassmen were playing at a high enough level to claim the starting positions. By all accounts Baker should see the field if he is as good as advertised.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2014

Typically True Freshman that start a full season are built more like Sua Cravens at USC.

Feeney, King and Parker are 3 guys that I can think off of the top of my head recently that were forced into playing too soon and were injured.

I am not saying he needs to redshirt, but you would hope the underclassmen were playing at a high enough level to claim the starting positions. By all accounts Baker should see the field if he is as good as advertised.

If Butch Snatchmuncheroff advertises him as the best player he has ever coached and having recently coached Myles Jack I would say good chance he sees a lot of time this year.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Budda was committed to Oregon before he wasn't. Just as he was commited to Washington before he committed to Oregon before he wasn't. High School kids change their minds all the time, how are the guys at Dawgman suppose to know these things? A lot of twisting going on but why am I not surprised?
  • Options
    dnc said:

Querey for all:

Why are we spending so much time discussing Budda Baker? I'm hearing there's no chance he will waiver on his commitment to Oregon.

It was nice seeing Quooks go full WDWHA after Baker announced he wasn't going to Oregon after all.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

Querey for all:

Why are we spending so much time discussing Budda Baker? I'm hearing there's no chance he will waiver on his commitment to Oregon.

It was nice seeing Quooks Eklund go full WDWHA "technically I was right. He was 100% committed to Oregon up until he decommitted" after Baker announced he wasn't going to Oregon after all.