Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Watch this and you will understand

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited April 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
..my argument why UW will never, ever, be a basketball power. Fire Romar, and you'll be demanding the to fire his replacement in a few years.

espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=requiemforthebigeast

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    You can win with the right coach. Butler made back to back NCAA finals. Not like they were ever a power previously.

Can UW be a power? Define power.

If George Mason, Butler, VCU and Witchita State can make a final four then UW certainly is capable.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You can win with the right coach. Butler made back to back NCAA finals. Not like they were ever a power previously.

If George Mason, Butler, VCU and Witchita State can make a final four then UW certainly is capable.

You didn't watch the show.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options

You didn't watch the show.
    I watched it when it first premiered. I miss that college basketball where guys like Ewing would play all four years. I don't get where you are going with this.

The Big East had a bunch of schools that were independent but not basketball powerhouses. Then in the 80's they became powerhouses.

The conference was kicking ass then in the 90's when T.V. deals started to dominate college sports therefore football became even more attractive. The Big East fell apart.

I really don't see how the Big East going from a nothing, to the best conference in America to suddenly dissolving all in a 30 year span has anything to do with UW basketball.
  • Options

This may be unpopular, but it's not in the interests of the corporate side of collegiate sports for schools like Washington to be good; simply not strong enough as a national brand. You can hire a good coach and be in the sweet sixteen for a few years, but to sustain long term success is another animal.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Im talking long term ucla, arizona, unc, kansas type of success, not Butler or Creighton
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

This may be unpopular, but it's not in the interests of the corporate side of collegiate sports for schools like Washington to be good; simply not strong enough as a national brand. You can hire a good coach and be in the sweet sixteen for a few years, but to sustain long term success is another animal.
    I don't get why it would hurt the corporate side at all. It's not like if UW is good it means Duke, UNC, and Kentucky are going to suck. It wasn't in the interest of Arizona to be a power back in the 80's either.

• Options

It's why I asked Damone to define power. I didn't say UW can be the next Duke or even UCONN/Arizona(Both nothing before Olson/Calhoun).

But if the small schools I mentioned before can make the final four why can't UW? That's my point.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I was referring to the more lasting power definition, as that seems to be the standard around here for the football team.
    Basketball doesn't have the sort of tradition where people around the country would talk about the team if they started winning. That's what football has, and what the media means when they called it a "sleeping giant" under the previous regime.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Consistent winners in big time basketball are dirty. Real dirty. uw boosters only seem to care about football. It's easy to be good at basketball as you really only need a few at one time to dominate. If our fan base cared more we would be good. They don't so we aren't that good. With a better coach we could be a little better but the top recruits 9/10 times are going to zona and ucla or out of conference.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Consistent winners in big time basketball are dirty. Real dirty. uw boosters only seem to care about football. It's easy to be good at basketball as you really only need a few at one time to dominate. If our fan base cared more we would be good. They don't so we aren't that good. With a better coach we could be a little better but the top recruits 9/10 times are going to zona and ucla or out of conference.

I mostly agree, but it's not impossible to be good without reeling in the top recruits. Wisconsin finally broke through this year to reach the Final 4, but they have been one of the best teams in the Big 10 for awhile. It's early, but Tony Bennett at Virginia looks like he is building a program the same way. We could go that route or we could hire a Billy Donovan type that is an unproven coach who will be a relentless recruiter that's not afraid to bend the rules. Romar is neither a great coach with a good system or a great recruiter. His system only works with great athletes and guards like B-Roy, Nate, and Isaiah.

To expect us to be Duke or Kansas is stupid, but there is no reason we can't be Wisconsin. A perennial tournament team that reaches and Elite 8 or Final 4 every 5 years.

• Options
    dnc said:

Im talking long term ucla, arizona, unc, kansas type of success, not Butler or Creighton

Arizona was nothing before they hired Lute Olson. UCLA was nothing before they hired John Wooden. UConn was nothing before they hired Calhoun.

Etc.
    So? Washington was nothing before they hired Dobie, it's been a few years. I agree with Atomic, there just isn't a commitment to the basketball program from the Athletic Department and boosters like there is with the football program. Until that happens, does it really matter who the coach is?
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,574
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Pressing.

UW can be anything it sets its mind out to be. And no, I didn't watch your stupid video. Ain't nobody got time for dat
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,574
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I'm not letting you on the bandwagon when peterman wins multiple rose bowls
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2014

I mostly agree, but it's not impossible to be good without reeling in the top recruits. Wisconsin finally broke through this year to reach the Final 4, but they have been one of the best teams in the Big 10 for awhile. It's early, but Tony Bennett at Virginia looks like he is building a program the same way. We could go that route or we could hire a Billy Donovan type that is an unproven coach who will be a relentless recruiter that's not afraid to bend the rules. Romar is neither a great coach with a good system or a great recruiter. His system only works with great athletes and guards like B-Roy, Nate, and Isaiah.

To expect us to be Duke or Kansas is stupid, but there is no reason we can't be Wisconsin. A perennial tournament team that reaches and Elite 8 or Final 4 every 5 years.

Good point. I can't argue with that. Wisconsin's style of play makes me want to gouge my eyes out most of the time though they were watchable this year.

Have to hit a home run with a coach like that and then hope they don't use you as a stepping stone. We are never going to pay a coach like the elite teams for basketball. I feel like the chances of that happening are pretty slim but if that is the route you want to go you have to be willing to fire the wrong guy often until you find mr right.

I actually think romar is a decent recruiter but these kids aren't dip shits and can see our shitty half court offense as easy as anyone else and it seems we don't really pay our players or their aau coaches. Nor do we even have a basketball only practice facility which isn't everything but rather just shows how much we don't give a shit.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,528
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Just wait until Terrence Jones gets here and plays with Gaddy!!!1 Final four or BUST!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's why I asked Damone to define power. I didn't say UW can be the next Duke or even UCONN/Arizona(Both nothing before Olson/Calhoun).

But if the small schools I mentioned before can make the final four why can't UW? That's my point.
    We can't they be...simple. They do t want to be is the main reason.