Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Watch this and you will understand

Comments

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2014

The best BB coach at a football school wins more than he loses, is generally likable by alumni and the community and doesn't poison the well for the football program.

Romar is the perfect coach for Washington.

Texas, Florida, and Ohio State must have missed that memo

Fuck it, might as well throw in Michigan State and Wisconsin too
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The schools you mention have maxed out their football programs. They have the luxury of turning to lacrosse, ping pong and basketball to find incremental growth.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

The schools you mention have maxed out their football programs. They have the luxury of turning to lacrosse, ping pong and basketball to find incremental growth.

This is a really FS post. Damone is probably right that it won't happen, but there is no reason why it couldn't if they hired the right coach. It has nothing to do with fans not caring. They will care when the wins come. All about hiring the right coach. The same as it's always been.
    This.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

This is a really FS post. Damone is probably right that it won't happen, but there is no reason why it couldn't if they hired the right coach. It has nothing to do with fans not caring. They will care when the wins come. All about hiring the right coach. The same as it's always been.
    It has to be the guy that doesn't leave as soon as Kentucky or Kansas etc...are hiring. You are right that if we had a coach that had us consistently good it could turn into an Arizona. Maybe if we got a taste of the final 4 the main boosters would start paying the aau coaches and the stadium would expand. I really don't see this happening. And in all reality I really don't care that much about college basketball. Missed opend jumpshots and over controlling coaches aren't that great of a spectator sport.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,573
    Founders Club

Florida was a shit program until they started caring about basketball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_men's_basketball

Fixed.
    Hey genius, if you have a good fucking coach, you will have a good fucking season, you will get people to care about the fucking program, and you will get asses into the fucking seats.

People in the PNW rarely show up to support mediocrity (Husky football being the exception). Look at the home crowds at UW's basketball games this year. No one is their because they fucking suck, not because "the boosters and fans don't care about basketball"

• Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

It has to be the guy that doesn't leave as soon as Kentucky or Kansas etc...are hiring. You are right that if we had a coach that had us consistently good it could turn into an Arizona. Maybe if we got a taste of the final 4 the main boosters would start paying the aau coaches and the stadium would expand. I really don't see this happening. And in all reality I really don't care that much about college basketball. Missed opend jumpshots and over controlling coaches aren't that great of a spectator sport.
    Idk, i quite enjoyed watching calipari coach up his kids during the game yesterday. That guy can coach. I can understand whya guy would want to play for him
  • Options

I love doog emotional rants... no facts needed.

If one were to consider the facts, such as attendance at D-1 basketball games has been falling for 5 straight years, TV ratings are down, max attendance at Hec Ed is capped with NO plans for expansion and any coach UW DID get that fluked out a FF appearance would simply be hired away by somebody willing to pay $3, 4, maybe even 5 million, you would see why Woody is putting his investment into a sport with growth capacity... Football.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I love doog emotional rants... no facts needed.

If one were to consider the facts, such as attendance at D-1 basketball games has been falling for 5 straight years, TV ratings are down, max attendance at Hec Ed is capped with NO plans for expansion and any coach UW DID get that fluked out a FF appearance would simply be hired away by somebody willing to pay $3, 4, maybe even 5 million, you would see why Woody is putting his investment into a sport with growth capacity... Football.
    That was a rant? You must have missed where I said it probably won't happen. You are one of the dumbest posters on the board. Attendance is down because we suck. Hec Ed holding 10,000 is fine for now. It's more than Duke and it was a pretty good atmosphere when we had good teams.

Worrying about the coach leaving with any success is FS. Worry about that when the time comes. The UW AD has plenty of money to pay a successful coach $3, 4 million. Where are they going? There aren't that many elite jobs.

There's about 10 and then a bunch of jobs that are roughly equal depending on their recent success. The elite jobs like Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky aren't open very often. NBA teams rarely hire college coaches. Somehow Jim Calhoun and Billy Donovan didn't leave once they got power conference jobs. It very well could happen, but if a coach gives us 5 good years and bolts, the program is in better shape to hire a capable replacement. I guess UCLA is stupid for having Jim Mora as coach because he's probably going to leave in the next few years.

Total D-1 men's basketball attendance is in secular decline.

... and Jim Mora coaches football ... a sport with substantial growth potential at UCLA.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    While on topic of basketball at what point do we stop considering UCLA a power? I mean they've won just won fucking title since 1976. Only been to the NCAA finals three fucking times since Wooden retired in 1975.

Only been to the final four six times(first year immediately after Wooden, three straight with Howland). Only 10 regular season conference championships since 1980.

At what point do you just say they happened to have a great coach in Wooden and they aren't a great program. Prior to Wooden they weren't shit and after Wooden they've been living off of his name as they haven't really done jack shit.

When a coaching job opened up they had to settle for Steve Alford, while when Kentucky job came up they landed Calipari, UNC got Roy Williams.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Florida was a shit program until they started caring about basketball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Gators_men's_basketball

Fixed.
    Hey genius, if you have a good fucking coach, you will have a good fucking season, you will get people to care about the fucking program, and you will get asses into the fucking seats.

People in the PNW rarely show up to support mediocrity (Husky football being the exception). Look at the home crowds at UW's basketball games this year. No one is their because they fucking suck, not because "the boosters and fans don't care about basketball"

If only UW could get just the right coach.....
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    dnc said:

Im talking long term ucla, arizona, unc, kansas type of success, not Butler or Creighton

Arizona was nothing before they hired Lute Olson. UCLA was nothing before they hired John Wooden. UConn was nothing before they hired Calhoun.

Etc.
    Recent example of "etc." - Florida and Billy.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    Founders Club

While on topic of basketball at what point do we stop considering UCLA a power? I mean they've won just won fucking title since 1976. Only been to the NCAA finals three fucking times since Wooden retired in 1975.

Only been to the final four six times(first year immediately after Wooden, three straight with Howland). Only 10 regular season conference championships since 1980.

At what point do you just say they happened to have a great coach in Wooden and they aren't a great program. Prior to Wooden they weren't shit and after Wooden they've been living off of his name as they haven't really done jack shit.

When a coaching job opened up they had to settle for Steve Alford, while when Kentucky job came up they landed Calipari, UNC got Roy Williams.

They're a secondary power. Outside of Howland's run and the '95 team, they're usually a 4-8 seed. Alford is overrated so that won't change anytime soon.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

well... that coach UCLA 'settled' for did get them to the sweet sixteen and won 28 games in his first season so....

also, the last time Romar won the Pac-12 wayyyyyy back in 2012, Hec Ed had tickets available at the booth past tipoff for every single game but one... the game vs. the Cuogs.
  • Options
    So UCLA is amazing for making the sweet 16? Steve Lavin made a few sweet 16's and nobody considers his tenure successful.
  • Options

So UCLA is amazing for making the sweet 16? Steve Lavin made a few sweet 16's and nobody considers his tenure successful.

Reading isn't really in your wheelhouse, is it... NTTAWWT.

I'm thinking it was Lavin's 10-19 final season that gave Bruin fans the greatest heartburn rather than a string of sweet 16 appearances but, I don't really follow the Bruins so, I might have a faulty read on that.
  • Options

Reading isn't really in your wheelhouse, is it... NTTAWWT.

I'm thinking it was Lavin's 10-19 final season that gave Bruin fans the greatest heartburn rather than a string of sweet 16 appearances but, I don't really follow the Bruins so, I might have a faulty read on that.
    So a string of sweet 16 seasons makes them a powerhouse?

My whole point on UCLA is that they were a program that was nothing before Wooden and have been a mediocre program since Wooden. So if anything that goes into the whole find a good coach and you can be a power philosophy.

Lavin also never made a final four at UCLA which is to be looked down on. He was their Jim Lambright.
  • Options
  • Options